*Official* KDLinks HD*** Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 678 Old 07-29-2015, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know if the kdLinks HD700, HD720 or A200 have cinavia protection or have issues playing video with cinavia protection? If one of the Kdlinks units is not the best, then what is the best media player for playing 3d iso's without cinavia problems? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 678 Old 07-29-2015, 03:36 PM

Does anyone know if the kdlink HD700, HD720, A200 or A300 have cinavia protection or have issues playing mkv or iso video with cinavia protection? If one of the kdlinks units will not play 3d iso without cinavia issues , then what is the best media player for playing 3d iso's without cinavia issues? Thanks.
post #663 of 678 Old 07-30-2015, 01:01 AM

Liked: 10
Ok gentlemen, I am a total newbie with this HD720 and I am just a bit overwhelmed by it all. I don't want to bug/bore people with questions of a lower level so maybe one of you can direct me where in the forum to start. I am struggling with network username and password, and I have a 1T WD drive installed and formatted but I don't have a clue how to get, for example, my ISO files onto the drive. No more until I get sent in the right direction Thanks.
post #664 of 678 Old 07-30-2015, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 86
If not already mentioned, KDlinks A300 is just a rebadged HiMedia Q10 4K 3D. Might as well save $40 or more, and get a HiMedia w/fairly good support forum at Futeko and Kodi forum's hardware section.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #665 of 678 Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by needlenoses View Post
Ok gentlemen, I am a total newbie with this HD720 and I am just a bit overwhelmed by it all. I don't want to bug/bore people with questions of a lower level so maybe one of you can direct me where in the forum to start. I am struggling with network username and password, and I have a 1T WD drive installed and formatted but I don't have a clue how to get, for example, my ISO files onto the drive. No more until I get sent in the right direction Thanks.
Loading directly to the KDlinks will take forever. Put the drive back in the PC from which it came and share the drive. Let the KDLinks pull from it. The drive will get very warm in the bay of the KDLinks. As long as you have a fast gigabit lan you should be fine playing full ISOs in 3D.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #666 of 678 Old 07-30-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Loading directly to the KDlinks will take forever. Put the drive back in the PC from which it came and share the drive. Let the KDLinks pull from it. The drive will get very warm in the bay of the KDLinks. As long as you have a fast gigabit lan you should be fine playing full ISOs in 3D.

I would have no problem putting the 1T drive back in the PC and I am running the connect with a lan cable so speed should not be an issue. So that leaves me with the username/password issue. I just don't know what it wants. I see all the drives on my PC but when I try to access I get asked the question. I can access the same drives from the Samsung TV ok. I made sure that Password Protected Sharing was turned off.
post #667 of 678 Old 07-30-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I would have no problem putting the 1T drive back in the PC and I am running the connect with a lan cable so speed should not be an issue. So that leaves me with the username/password issue. I just don't know what it wants. I see all the drives on my PC but when I try to access I get asked the question. I can access the same drives from the Samsung TV ok. I made sure that Password Protected Sharing was turned off.

Forgot to mention that I have 8 ISO file sitting on my D drive but just cant access from KD. Drive is set to share as is the folder.
post #668 of 678 Old 08-01-2015, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The only Cinavia event I can remember is an MKV of Total Recall directors cut. Updating makemkv solved the "issue". I have 11 3D ISO's (ripped with anydvd) with no problem ever but have no idea if any have Cinavia on them.

Last edited by netman; 08-01-2015 at 06:43 AM.
post #669 of 678 Old 08-01-2015, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter555 View Post
Does anyone know if the kdlink HD700, HD720, A200 or A300 have cinavia protection or have issues playing mkv or iso video with cinavia protection? If one of the kdlinks units will not play 3d iso without cinavia issues , then what is the best media player for playing 3d iso's without cinavia issues? Thanks.
Quote:
Forgot to mention that I have 8 ISO file sitting on my D drive but just cant access from KD. Drive is set to share as is the folder.

I have a 3TB drive in the KD. I rip MKV and ISO from another machine. It is slower than writing to the drive in THAT machine but way faster and easier than writing to the local drive then copying to the drive in the KD.

As for access, my drive shares on the computers that have media have no passwords. I remember no real issue connecting to the KD or from the KD and I can play blue ray files on the KD elsewhere and vice versa but in normal use I play 95% of the time from the built in KD drive from the KD itsself.

Like I said I remember no real issue connecting:

I named the KD from setup -> system -> device name

ALSO check setup -> network -> samba ON (important) ftp off (not a real issue)

open the files manager:
network -> my network's name -> device name -> device drive -> folder -> etc
make folders favorites to save much time getting there the next time.

To connect TO the device I use the full unc path

\\kd-name\C

from or to the KD you can also try the IP address like this \\192.168.10.10 to connect if all else fails.

I did a very basic speed test and a 2 gigabyte file took 2 minute 15 second to transfer to the KD from a 8.1 machine. Not screaming but usable.

I hope something here helps such as it is.

Andy

Last edited by netman; 08-01-2015 at 12:12 PM.
post #670 of 678 Old 08-01-2015, 02:56 PM

I am envious that you are able to access your drives. Still in limbo here. My Samsung TV can see the desktop drives and the laptop drive but so far the KD 720 cannot without asking for username/password on them all. I have been trying to setup Hanewin NFS to solve the issue but that is another can of worms for me. Eric at KDLinks has tried very hard to help solve this before I have to return the unit. I have been plating some ISO files as it will see my portable drives ok.

Strange one for me at my level.
post #671 of 678 Old 08-02-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am envious that you are able to access your drives.
Strange one for me at my level.
Answer a few questions:

What OS is the computer you are trying to connect to?

Did you turn on the SAMBA process and give the KD a workgroup name?

Did you try putting the hard drive in the KD and seeing that on a computer?
post #672 of 678 Old 08-03-2015, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter555 View Post
The KDLINKS 720 is not affected by cinavia.
post #673 of 678 Old 08-18-2015, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,
I have the HD720 and the A200 and have reasonable experience with both.

Regarding the username/ password issue you're seeing when browsing network file shares on the HD720, go to the computer with the hard drive you're trying to share and right click the hard drive and left click properties. Click the Security tab. Enable full control for "Everyone" (see attached screenshot.) If you do not see "Everyone" in that list of users, click edit, then click add, then manually type the word Everyone and click ok.

Also, make sure you're actually sharing that hard drive (or folder on your hard drive) by right clicking the drive, click properties, click Sharing tab, click Advanced Sharing and check the box that says Share this folder.

The above advice applies to Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8 and 10. With XP, you don't have to do any of that Everyone security stuff.

The HD720 is a far superior unit than the A200. The A200 only has 100 megabit ethernet which caused constant skipping and stuttering when playing bluray ISO and 3D bluray ISO files. The HD720 is 1 year older than the A200 but has superior hardware. The A200 costs $50 more but has inferior hardware. I emailed Eric about their 100Mbps ethernet blunder on the A200 and he ignored me. Real nice support. The A200 also crashes a lot. It's riddled with bugs. If you try to fast forward or rewind video playback on the A200, the audio will go out of synch with the video. That's infuriating and unacceptable. The UI on the A200 is nicer than the HD720 because it displays more info about the video files (size, date, etc) whereas the HD720 only shows the file name (a minor gripe I suppose). The UI on the HD720 is also more responsive because it's less sexy. I am unable to create playlists from files on my network shares on the HD720 because those options are physically greyed out. That is strange. Playlists created on the A200 do not play back in the order in which you added the files. A200 playlists show videos using the sorting method you've set in your preferences (date, name, etc). That basically defeats the purpose of creating a playlist because the software ignores the order you've added the files. This is the sort of inattention to details you can expect with a product like this.

The Favorites feature on the HD720 is wonderful because it makes it easy to access certain folders on your network shares. I like that you can set the HD720 to boot right to the Favorites list instead of the main menu. I also like that you can set the HD720 to power off if it's been idle for a preset amount of time.

The HD720 has crashed on me about 3 times since January. When HD720 crashes, you have to hold the power down on the front of the unit for about 10 seconds and it'll power off (or pull the power cable). The power button the HD720 remote will not power the unit off when it has crashed. When the A200 crashes (frequently) you can hit the power button on the remote and it'll power off.

The RF keyboard remote with the mini USB recharging port that comes with the A200 is very nice, thoughtful and well engineered but I never used it because I preferred the traditional dvd player style remote that both the HD720 and A200 come with.

I do not recommend using the internal 3.5" drive bay for hard drives because both units don't have an exhaust fan which means the hard drives get extraordinarily hot. I'm talking as hot as a coffee cup. I'd never risk destroying a 4TB hard drive for that convenience. If you don't have a home network, then transfer your media to USB flash drives and connect those directly to the media player.

The HD720 boots much faster than the A200. Because the A200 crashes so frequently, those long boot times can be frustrating when you have an apartment full of friends waiting to resume watching a movie.

These are very powerful players but like most electronics we buy, they're severely hindered by very buggy software and zero support from the manufacturer. I think emailing some guy named Eric to his personal Yahoo account is terribly unprofessional for products that costs $150 to $200. I bought these 2 units specifically because they do NOT support Cinavia. That's wonderful. Cinavia is awful. The HD720 is a far superior video player than the A200. I never used the apps/ Google Play store on the A200 because I didn't want background processes (app updates, etc) slowing the unit down because it's already very laggy doing nothing.

I bought the A200 12 months ago and replaced it with the HD720 about 9 months ago. I put the A200 in storage and have no use for it because the HD720 is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	893986  
post #674 of 678 Old 08-18-2015, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLiveris View Post
I like that you can set the HD720 to boot right to the Favorites list instead of the main menu.
Please explain how to to do this.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #675 of 678 Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have an HD720, briefly bought an A300 and ended up returning it, it froze up on a number of MKV files that the HD720 play just fine. Just an FYI.
post #676 of 678 Old 08-21-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLiveris View Post
Hi,

I do not recommend using the internal 3.5" drive bay for hard drives because both units don't have an exhaust fan which means the hard drives get extraordinarily hot. I'm talking as hot as a coffee cup. I'd never risk destroying a 4TB hard drive for that convenience. If you don't have a home network, then transfer your media to USB flash drives and connect those directly to the media player.
My HD720 certainly has a fan and certainly runs cool with the HD operating. Added on later models perhaps?
post #677 of 678 Old 08-24-2015, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
KDLinks Customer Support

Does anyone have a phone number for KDLinks? Any phone number....customer support, tech support...any live person to talk to? Please don't respond saying I can contact them via email. done that. I want to talk to a live person for some support.

Thanks
post #678 of 678 Old 08-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 889
what is the issue?

MickinCT
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Kdlinks Hd720 Extreme Full Hd 1080p 3d Media Player With Internal Hdd Bay Gigabit Network Built In W
Gear in this thread - Hd720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page