*Official* KDLinks HD*** Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 391 Old 12-25-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Eric suggested nfs shares to me too. I just use regular samba network shares. Watch a good 20 movies so far through my network only. Zero probs. all play ff and rw without any stuttering or buffering. Full 1080p bdmv folder rips. Im very happy with the player. I did try putting a hdd in it and sent a blu ray rip over the network to store on the internal hdd but it took way too long to send. Its funny that the wdtv live smp player fixed all the things i didnt like with their latest firmware. If u dont need the hdd housing that player is a force to reckon. But im happy. The suns still come on every movie but its easy enough to turn them off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 391 Old 12-26-2013, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Nger View Post

WynsWrld98 - I do have it turned on. When I check my HDMI info on my Denon 1612 it doesn't indicate 1080p 24Hz like it does with my PS3 so not sure it's working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
my lumaen shows 23.98 for 2d but 24.00 for 3d. So 2d is playing correctly. 3d is not
post #63 of 391 Old 12-26-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

I found a problem with the HD720 last night with a MKV made from a DVD with MakeMKV. I could fast forward just fine but rewind would just show the rewind speed on screen but do nothing, like it was on pause. I tried it multiple times never worked for rewind. I then tried it on an m2ts file and both FF and REW worked. Anyone else have any MKVs from DVDs they can try REW on?

Anyone have a response to this post I made awhile ago?
post #64 of 391 Old 12-26-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone have 1080p 24 fps turned on? My Epson 6010 projector is 1080p 24 fps capable but when I turn that option on in the KDL it causes problems. What appears to be happening is when an ISO switches from one m2ts file to another it puts the recording into a semi-fast forward mode, it's fast forwarding slightly and audio is fast forwarding as well. So I'm curious if anyone else has enabled this option.

Anyone try my specific steps with 24 fps turned on? BTW I only watch programs from the internal hard drive, no streaming so that isn't a factor.
post #65 of 391 Old 12-27-2013, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I found a problem with the HD720 last night with a MKV made from a DVD with MakeMKV. I could fast forward just fine but rewind would just show the rewind speed on screen but do nothing, like it was on pause. I tried it multiple times never worked for rewind. I then tried it on an m2ts file and both FF and REW worked. Anyone else have any MKVs from DVDs they can try REW on?
I just got my HD 720 the other day, so I'm still figuring it out but...

I have it connected via gigabit ethernet to a Synology, using NFS. I had a bunch of MKV files, some downloaded and some ripped with MakeMKV on a Mac.

I tried three MKVs - on two of them I could successfully fast forward and rewind using the remote. On one of them, I was unable to rewind, but I could fast forward. The only thing I could think of was that the two that worked were smaller, 8GB and 19GB apiece. The one that didn't work was 39GB - so perhaps for me it was a network buffering issue. Don't know, I've only been using it a few hours so far.

I don't have a hard drive installed yet, so I can't report how those files would work on a HD. When I install the HD, I'll try those.
post #66 of 391 Old 12-27-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Im using regular network shares with bd rips over 45gb and i can ff and rw. Try sharing a large file using regular windows shares to see if you can rewind.
post #67 of 391 Old 12-28-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried 24 fps turned on again, played a movie and movie immediately went into FF mode on its own just like before (both video and audio fast forwarding), with an internal hard drive, hit stop then play same thing, turn 24 fps off watched whole movie no problems at all. Epson 6010 projector which is 24 fps capable and works fine with Oppo BDP-93 Bluray player set with 24 fps on.
post #68 of 391 Old 12-29-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

From my internal hard drive watched Fright Night 2 m2ts file copied there via SlySoft AnyDvd as single file. 24 fps turned off since causes me lots of problems. Half way through I meant to hit the Info button and accidentally hit the Stop button. Then I hit the Play button, it asked if I want to resume, I said yes, and the video stuttered like crazy, tried FF/REW then play to try and correct it just kept stuttering. Stopped it, went and played another video which played fine came back to Fright Night 2 and whether I said to start from beginning or resume it did nothing but stutter. So there is a bug in the functionality when you go back to a video file you were playing (or at least an intermittent problem). I restarted the player didn't fix the problem with Fright Night 2. I went to yet another video which played fine then back to Fright Night 2 and it finally started playing correctly using resume. To say the least this was extremely frustrating. No video playback problems with this m2ts file at all but somehow I triggered some nasty behavior in the media player when I stopped it then went back to it. I'm e-mailing this to Eric.
post #69 of 391 Old 12-29-2013, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmm. I go back to viewed content all the time. Nary a problem. Im playing everything through the network tho.
post #70 of 391 Old 12-30-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

Hmm. I go back to viewed content all the time. Nary a problem. Im playing everything through the network tho.
m2ts files with full Bluray movie? That's what caused my problem. And when you say go back to viewed content you mean go back to PARTIALLY viewed contact where the dialog box is displayed asking if you want to resume or start from beginning?
post #71 of 391 Old 12-30-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

yes to all. I only rip to full or main movie only. Full quality .m2ts file using dvdfab. I start movies sometimes and not finish, go to another movie and return to the partial viewed later. I have played it back from the resume prompt and also hit cancel sometimes to start playing from beginning.

You mentioned that you are playing the files from the internal hdd. Have you tried streaming through network shares?
post #72 of 391 Old 12-30-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

yes to all. I only rip to full or main movie only. Full quality .m2ts file using dvdfab. I start movies sometimes and not finish, go to another movie and return to the partial viewed later. I have played it back from the resume prompt and also hit cancel sometimes to start playing from beginning.

You mentioned that you are playing the files from the internal hdd. Have you tried streaming through network shares?

No, I try to keep things simple and figured playing back files from internal HDD would be least problematic way to do things. This particular m2ts had zero problems in playback, watched whole movie, the only time it ever had a problem is when I stopped it and went back to it. Once I got it working again after going through many hoops it played back flawlessly to the end.
post #73 of 391 Old 12-30-2013, 06:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
One of the four initial setup items is 'screen size' and you are supposed to use your remote to adjust the red dashed lines to fit your screen. Well, I can't figure out how to adjust the screen size... manual says to use left/right and up/down buttons to adjust, but they don't do anything. Is this necessary? Seems to work fine without changing it... wondering why it is so important that it must be one of the first things I see and doesn't even work.

Regardless of which firmware version the unit indicates, download 1.1, place it on a flash drive, and "update" the firmware. That fixed the problem for me (one of my TVs is a projection set and benefits from the adjustment due to overscan).
post #74 of 391 Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 PM

I did update the firmware a few days ago and tried again... still nothing.

But now I just tried it for the 3rd time and I realize that the dashed red lines are not the lines that indicate the screen size.  They are solid red lines that were set by default to a size larger than my screen so they were not visible.  I kept trying to increase the size of the dashed red lines and I was really increasing the settings that were already too large to even larger!  Poor interface design... but now I realize that it does indeed work. 

post #75 of 391 Old 12-31-2013, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I played around with the 24 fps option again tonight. What I discovered is if I put the HDMI Audio setting to LPCM Multichannel (vs. Auto which was evidently defaulting to Raw) 24 fps works fine for me. But this shouldn't be necessary. With my Oppo BDP-93 Bluray player I have 24 fps enabled and have bitstream audio (aka raw) selected and it works fine. Both the HD720 and Oppo are running to my Denon AVR-4311 A/V receiver with HDMI.

When I have the HD720's HDMI Audio setting set to Auto or Raw and turn on 24 fps option the video and audio of any file I play both play fast forwarding and jerky.

I also played around with FF/REW in different files, some m2ts from Bluray, some mkvs made from DVDs with MakeMkv, some ISOs, the consistent problem I could duplicate is any mkv made from a DVD source would not REW but would always FF just fine. The m2ts files from Blurays always FF/REW just fine with the HD720. I tried Go To on the mkvs made from DVD Source to go backwards and that worked fine as well so the problem is only with REW.

I e-mailed with Eric earlier today and he said he believes new firmware for the HD720 will be out in 7-10 days. He said the website has a way to enter your e-mail address to be notified of things like firmware updates but said the website is having some problems where that feature isn't working properly right now. It's always something...
post #76 of 391 Old 12-31-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
But now I just tried it for the 3rd time and I realize that the dashed red lines are not the lines that indicate the screen size. They are solid red lines that were set by default to a size larger than my screen so they were not visible. I kept trying to increase the size of the dashed red lines and I was really increasing the settings that were already too large to even larger!

I figured that out as well after I connected the unit to a TV that had no overscan.

With the overscan adjustment, I can now actually see black bars with movies at 1.85:1 aspect ratio.
post #77 of 391 Old 01-01-2014, 06:11 AM

Liked: 15
WynsWrld98 - I tried the 24fps setting last night - just upgraded my TV to a Panasonic 60VT60 - wow - (PQ from the 720 is excellent BTW) but thats for another forum - anyway I played my BD rip of Avatar 2D which I made using MakeMKV. I checked to see if the 24fps setting was turned on - it was. Checked my HDMI info on my Denon 1612 - it indicated 1080p:24fps and I was feeding the audio RAW to the avr to process DTS-MA. Checked the TV as well and it indicated 24fps 60Hz. I had no issues. Maybe there is a glitch with the HDMI handshaking with your projector and avr?
post #78 of 391 Old 01-01-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Nger View Post

WynsWrld98 - I tried the 24fps setting last night - just upgraded my TV to a Panasonic 60VT60 - wow - (PQ from the 720 is excellent BTW) but thats for another forum - anyway I played my BD rip of Avatar 2D which I made using MakeMKV. I checked to see if the 24fps setting was turned on - it was. Checked my HDMI info on my Denon 1612 - it indicated 1080p:24fps and I was feeding the audio RAW to the avr to process DTS-MA. Checked the TV as well and it indicated 24fps 60Hz. I had no issues. Maybe there is a glitch with the HDMI handshaking with your projector and avr?

I've never had any handshaking issues with my Epson 6010 projector and Denon AVR-4311, both of which I've had for two years. As I stated my Oppo BDP-93 Bluray player is set to raw/bitstream audio over HDMI and 24 fps enabled (had this about 1.5 years) and NEVER a problem. The only handshaking problem I've ever seen is with the HD720 when setup HDMI audio raw and 24 fps enabled.
post #79 of 391 Old 01-02-2014, 11:19 PM

Today I received and installed my Seagate 4TB NAS drive. I immediately confirmed what others have said about the slow network file transfers (8-11 MB/sec) with this device. I logged into the box using telnet and set the MTU to 7000 (for jumbo frames), but that didn't seem to make a difference. As a temporary workaround, I will be ripping movies to an external drive and copying the files from that to the HD720. File transfer speeds are good connecting the box directly to a computer (OTG mode), but moving the box every time isn't practical for me.

I had two issues prior to a couple of hours ago:

a) The setup screen would come up every time the unit was turned on (someone mentioned this issue previously).

b) SD cards were not recognized (I thought I may have gotten a faulty unit).

I reset all settings back to default, and that fixed both of those problems.
post #80 of 391 Old 01-03-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. P. Lovecraft View Post

Today I received and installed my Seagate 4TB NAS drive. I immediately confirmed what others have said about the slow network file transfers (8-11 MB/sec) with this device. I logged into the box using telnet and set the MTU to 7000 (for jumbo frames), but that didn't seem to make a difference. As a temporary workaround, I will be ripping movies to an external drive and copying the files from that to the HD720. File transfer speeds are good connecting the box directly to a computer (OTG mode), but moving the box every time isn't practical for me.

I had two issues prior to a couple of hours ago:

a) The setup screen would come up every time the unit was turned on (someone mentioned this issue previously).

b) SD cards were not recognized (I thought I may have gotten a faulty unit).

I reset all settings back to default, and that fixed both of those problems.

Welcome to the club. Are you running the HD720 through an A/V receiver (if so which make/model)? What is your display device? Do you have both 24Hz enabled and HDMI Audio set to Raw in the HD720? What type of files are you playing and what was used to create them?
post #81 of 391 Old 01-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Are you running the HD720 through an A/V receiver (if so which make/model)?

Yes... Onkyo TX-SR705. There is a Monoprice 5x1 switch between the two.

Quote:
What is your display device?

Sony KDS-60A3000

Quote:
Do you have both 24Hz enabled and HDMI Audio set to Raw in the HD720?

Yes and yes

Quote:
What type of files are you playing and what was used to create them?

BD ISOs (created using AnyDVD HD ripper), DVD VOBs (Pavtube ByteCopy), and BD MKVs (also ByteCopy)

I stopped creating BD ISOs due to needlessly large file sizes. MKVs let me keep the same audio and video quality while stripping components I don't need (easy to do using ByteCopy).

I'm also streaming files to other devices on my network using Mezzmo.
post #82 of 391 Old 01-04-2014, 06:30 AM

Is anyone else having issues with HD audio? Here is my set up, I have the 720 connected to an oppo BD 103 via HDMI which is connected to a Pioneer Elite SC - 25. I have the HDMI audio set to RAW and the surround sound option set the HD audio. When I play a BD ISO it will either put out DTS ES or I get a crazy hissing sound. Not really sure what the deal is. I've tried every option and made sure the Oppo's HD output is bitstream.
post #83 of 391 Old 01-04-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have you tried hooking 720 to av receiever that way you can rule out oppo causing problem
post #84 of 391 Old 01-04-2014, 08:32 AM

Liked: 15
I have no issue when running the 720 to my Denon 1612. HD audio plays fine.
post #85 of 391 Old 01-04-2014, 11:16 AM

I just noticed that my BD MKVs are playing at 1080p/30, not 1080p/24 (ISOs play fine). I will try creating one using MakeMKV instead of ByteCopy (ByteCopy is set to the lossless option, so there is no transcoding).

[EDIT]

I confirmed that the issue is with ByteCopy, not the HD720. The MKV I created using MakeMKV worked perfectly.

It seems I'm not alone concerning this issue.
post #86 of 391 Old 01-04-2014, 02:55 PM

For future reference, I just reinstalled my Firmware to 1.1 to my HD 720 - process goes quickly, probably under a minute.

It doesn't delete any Movies/etc that you have added the movie info for, so that the "JukeBox" app will fill back in (the one under the Premium Apps). It takes a minute or two, but everything filled in for me.

I had been having some problem with MKVs stalling after a few minutes, I'm hoping this will fix the problem.

(I'm using Wired Gigabit ethernet to an NAS for reference). I haven't tried a movie on a hard drive, I will later in the week.
post #87 of 391 Old 01-04-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. P. Lovecraft View Post

I just noticed that my BD MKVs are playing at 1080p/30, not 1080p/24 (ISOs play fine). I will try creating one using MakeMKV instead of ByteCopy (ByteCopy is set to the lossless option, so there is no transcoding).

[EDIT]

I confirmed that the issue is with ByteCopy, not the HD720. The MKV I created using MakeMKV worked perfectly.

It seems I'm not alone concerning this issue.

I've watched multiple movies on the HD720 made with MakeMkv from Blurays keeping HD audio track and works well. I only use MakeMkv when the movie is spread across multiple m2ts files; otherwise if movie is in one m2ts file I just copy the one m2ts file directly while having SlySoft AnyDVD active. The only problem I've seen with the mkvs is a very slight pause here and there I believe at the point there was a switch from one m2ts file to another in the original content, nothing too troubling.
post #88 of 391 Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I use dvdfab for straight bd rips. And will do m2ts passthrough for seamless branching movies that have many files. Keeping original audio, never had a prob with dts ma and dd thd. Set to raw going into my yamaha 673 receiver. Sounds like it might be that oppo unit.
post #89 of 391 Old 01-05-2014, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm about to send a couple of suggestions to Eric after I started using the "Get Movie Info" metadata feature:

(1) Make the Info button work when you're in the File Manager list of movie files. If I'm looking at a long list of movies and want a synopsis the only way I can see to do it right now is have to start the movie then press Info. When I press Info when I have a file in file manager highlighted I get a red circle with slash through it. To me it makes more sense to read the Movie Info before starting the movie, or at least provide for it

(2) Make a new File Manager viewing option similar to Preview whereby the Cover Art is displayed on the left vs. the preview window. I don't like the Thumbnails view because the movie titles are very short and scroll vs. they are much longer in the Preview view.

Last question, you can select an additional image (I forget what it's called) when you setup the Program Info, something like fan art, but I don't know how to see it after that -- when I press Info while playing a movie the cover art and synopsis/etc. display but not the additional image so what's the point of it?
post #90 of 391 Old 01-05-2014, 09:30 AM

Yes, it is definitely have handshake problems with the Oppo. Does anyone else have the 720 connected to an Oppo 103 and if so, are you able to get it to bitstream HD audio?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Kdlinks Hd720 Extreme Full Hd 1080p 3d Media Player With Internal Hdd Bay Gigabit Network Built In W
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page