*Official* KDLinks HD*** Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 431 Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Try using 6ft hdmi cables going to and from oppo. Short hdmi cables are known to cause hdmi handshake issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 431 Old 01-05-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Concerning the slow LAN transfer speeds, here is a thread that discusses a Micca device that uses the same chipset.

I can personally attest to the fact that CPU makes all the difference. Writing to my Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (SPARC processor), I see a max of 20 MB/sec; copying from the ReadyNAS Duo yields around 30 MB/sec (those numbers are with jumbo frames enabled).

Between my two desktop computers, I have seen transfer rates as high as 105 MB/sec using jumbo frames on my gigabit network (I use TrendNet Gigabit "Green" switches, and have had no issues with them).

I logged into the HD720 (using telnet on port 23) and changed the MTU for eth0 to 7000 (the same jumbo frame setting I use on my computers), but that seemed to make no difference.

[EDIT]

I found this site to test a streaming device's capabilities. I'll try them and see what the HD720's streaming limit is.
DarrenDriven likes this.
post #93 of 431 Old 01-05-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

I'm about to send a couple of suggestions to Eric after I started using the "Get Movie Info" metadata feature:

(1) Make the Info button work when you're in the File Manager list of movie files. If I'm looking at a long list of movies and want a synopsis the only way I can see to do it right now is have to start the movie then press Info. When I press Info when I have a file in file manager highlighted I get a red circle with slash through it. To me it makes more sense to read the Movie Info before starting the movie, or at least provide for it

(2) Make a new File Manager viewing option similar to Preview whereby the Cover Art is displayed on the left vs. the preview window. I don't like the Thumbnails view because the movie titles are very short and scroll vs. they are much longer in the Preview view.

Last question, you can select an additional image (I forget what it's called) when you setup the Program Info, something like fan art, but I don't know how to see it after that -- when I press Info while playing a movie the cover art and synopsis/etc. display but not the additional image so what's the point of it?

(1) I totally agree. I already did that. He said it cannot be done.
(2) i agree here too.

My current project is to figure out how I can get the metadata to work by doing it myself. I use the program "mymovies" which provides all the metadata for me. It supplies many different types of metadata files that work for different players (Dune, micca, WMC, iRiver, Netgear, etc).

I just can't get it to work for the KDL.

Eric said it will read NFO files. But it seems that it also needs to have a .tbn file there too. They also need to be in the same folder that the file is in. If it's a dvd rip they need to be in with the vob's, and if its a BD rip it needs to be in with the .m2ts files. My problem is that mymovies puts it in the root folder.

Not sure about background images. I think it is a limitation of the firmware (OS) not the chipset.

Of all the other players that use the realtek 1186 chipset, do any of them use the same interface?

Mymovies can produce the following metadata. Maybe I can pick a player format that will also work with the KDL. Wonder if there are any theme hacks we can do.
post #94 of 431 Old 01-07-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

Try using 6ft hdmi cables going to and from oppo. Short hdmi cables are known to cause hdmi handshake issues

I actually have all 6ft cables. Just to clarify, HDMI should be set to RAW and Surround Sound should be set to HD Audio? Also, on the Oppo the HDMI Audio should be set to Bitstream?
post #95 of 431 Old 01-07-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thats the way i have kdlinks setup, passes hdaudio fine, dont have oppo .just wondering why you have it running throu oppo thou?????
post #96 of 431 Old 01-07-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

Thats the way i have kdlinks setup, passes hdaudio fine, dont have oppo .just wondering why you have it running throu oppo thou?????

The only reason is because my Pioneer Elite SC-25 receiver does not have HDMI 1.4 and can't pass through 3D.
post #97 of 431 Old 01-07-2014, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

GUYS! I figured it out

Ad "about.jpg files" to your folders. Using "mymovies" I created a test folder and had it create all of the metadata it could create and as it turns out, the Kdlinks player reads "about.jpg" files. I used the Media8er template.

While browsing the files, hit "info" on the remote and it pulls up the about.jpg. Now you don't have to play the movie to see the details anymore. Very exciting.
post #98 of 431 Old 01-07-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How are people playing 3D movies through the HD720? I think one or more people above mentioned it, I asked for details and never got any. I'm talking 3D based on Bluray not lower res 3D. I created an ISO from the 3D version of Avatar Bluray via Slysoft AnyDvd, when I play it on the HD720 I see it in 3D for a couple of seconds then it switches to 2D and stays in 2D. If people making copies of 3D Blurays playable on the HD720 in 3D can you please explain what program you're using and what type of file you're making?
post #99 of 431 Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
can kdlink 720 output dolby digital 5.1 audio, simultaneously through HDMI and Toslink?
post #100 of 431 Old 01-08-2014, 03:51 AM

Liked: 15
WynsWrld98 - By coincidence I just starting experimenting with 3D as I now have a 3D set. I used MakeMKV instead of AnyDVD mainly because the movies I ripped - Avatar and The Hobbit have forced subs and I wasn't sure how well AnyDVDs ISO would handle them. I remembered reading in the quick setup document for the 720 that you need to turn off the BD Lite menu option in order to play 3D so I did that. Also I left the 3D auto option on. I never changed the 720s menu from 2D to 3D only on the TV when I turned on my glasses. I only played the files for a few minutes but both played fine. Stayed 3D - no issues. HD audio passed fine as well. Try MakeMKV and see how that works and check your settings to ensure BD Lite is off as well.
post #101 of 431 Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

GUYS! I figured it out

Ad "about.jpg files" to your folders. Using "mymovies" I created a test folder and had it create all of the metadata it could create and as it turns out, the Kdlinks player reads "about.jpg" files. I used the Media8er template.

While browsing the files, hit "info" on the remote and it pulls up the about.jpg. Now you don't have to play the movie to see the details anymore. Very exciting.

After a bit more research it turn out that many players read the about.jpg files. Some people call them "Moviesheets" or linksheets. There is a program called thumbgen that can make them for you too. You can even design the template. I am using MyMovies program to make the about.jpg files which only gives you one style. But it does everything for you and places them in your folders as soon as you add a new movie to your computer. Easy. This is how to do it using Mymovies. Don't mind the low quality of the video.

Unfortunately this does not work for the WDTV Live smp. Wonder if it is because that uses the Sigma chip. If this is true then the about.jpg should work for players using Realtek chips. This could also explain why it was labeled as a Medi8er template.
post #102 of 431 Old 01-08-2014, 12:25 PM

Which MyMovies application are you using?
post #103 of 431 Old 01-08-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #104 of 431 Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

I emailed customer service of KDlinks.. with the question: "can kdlink 720 output dolby digital 5.1 audio, simultaneously through HDMI and Toslink?"... They said they did not know the answer.
Could some one please verify this and let me know. I have enough media player door stops for now!
post #105 of 431 Old 01-08-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Nger View Post

WynsWrld98 - By coincidence I just starting experimenting with 3D as I now have a 3D set. I used MakeMKV instead of AnyDVD mainly because the movies I ripped - Avatar and The Hobbit have forced subs and I wasn't sure how well AnyDVDs ISO would handle them. I remembered reading in the quick setup document for the 720 that you need to turn off the BD Lite menu option in order to play 3D so I did that. Also I left the 3D auto option on. I never changed the 720s menu from 2D to 3D only on the TV when I turned on my glasses. I only played the files for a few minutes but both played fine. Stayed 3D - no issues. HD audio passed fine as well. Try MakeMKV and see how that works and check your settings to ensure BD Lite is off as well.

I had tried Pacific Rim 3D and Avatar 3D as ISOs created from SlySoft AnyDvd. I checked the menu items in the HD720 and I have BD Lite off and I have the 3D Auto Option on. When I play Pacific Rim it does play in 3D but does the fast forwarding problem in both audio/video I see like when I have the 24 Hz option on (I do not have the 24 Hz option on). When I play Avatar it plays in 3D for a few seconds then switches to 2D.

I'm going to try the same titles with MakeMkv and see what happens...
post #106 of 431 Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

I emailed customer service of KDlinks.. with the question: "can kdlink 720 output dolby digital 5.1 audio, simultaneously through HDMI and Toslink?"... They said they did not know the answer.
Could some one please verify this and let me know. I have enough media player door stops for now!
Did you email Eric @ kdlinks? I sent you a PM.
post #107 of 431 Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Below is their response.
I get tired of people in customer service not answering clear and concise questions.
Even now, I don't know what the answer is.
I just bought another WD media player.

Maybe kdlinks is good but frankly I don't want to try and figure it out, I will just deal with the WD for now. Its user interface is excellent!

Eric: Sorry, we don't have device to test that. According to customers feedback, AV + HDMI works.

Do you want to connect it to 2 different audio devices, 1 through HDMI and 1 through SPDIF? HDMI is much better than this SPDIF.

To: Eric - kdLinks
Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: attn: Tech support for KDLINKS HD720

I know that red/white would work - that works in EVERY device.
What I am interested is knowing if it is possible to simultaneously output dolby digital 5.1 audio via HDMI.
Can you find an answer?
You can go through the menus, if you have the device.
I don't want to buy and return the unit, to verify

On 01/08/2014 09:55 AM, Eric - kdLinks wrote:
> Sorry, not sure about that.
>
> You can output HDMI and another audio signal from RED/WHITE AV sockets, that's confirmed by some customers.
>
> From: me
> To: care@kdLinks.com
> Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:15 AM
> Subject: attn: Tech support for KDLINKS HD720
>
> attn: Tech support for KDLINKS HD720
> is it possible to simultaneously output dolby digital 5.1 audio via HDMI
> AND Toslink/spdif on the hd720?
post #108 of 431 Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I sent you a PM saying the same exact thing. I originally had the wdtv live smp and this kdlinks 720 player and had to choose which one to return. I ended up returning the wdtv. They fixed all the reasons I returned it with the latest firmware update!mad.gif

The KDL is still a great "always gets the job done" player, but all the customizing and tinkering you can do with the wdtv is great!
post #109 of 431 Old 01-09-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

when you get a chance google "wdtv titan theme". Looks sick!
post #110 of 431 Old 01-09-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
can kdlink 720 output dolby digital 5.1 audio, simultaneously through HDMI and Toslink?

Yes, it does. I connected the most portable thing I had that used Toslink—the EarForce DSS—and it worked fine using standard DD 5.1 (my receiver also received audio through HDMI).

With Dolby TrueHD, I only got two channels with the DSS (of course, there's no "core" track with TrueHD).

I tried DTS tracks, but I don't believe the DSS supports them, but they would probably work fine with a receiver.
post #111 of 431 Old 01-09-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had tried Pacific Rim 3D and Avatar 3D as ISOs created from SlySoft AnyDvd. I checked the menu items in the HD720 and I have BD Lite off and I have the 3D Auto Option on. When I play Pacific Rim it does play in 3D but does the fast forwarding problem in both audio/video I see like when I have the 24 Hz option on (I do not have the 24 Hz option on). When I play Avatar it plays in 3D for a few seconds then switches to 2D.

I'm going to try the same titles with MakeMkv and see what happens...

Tried Avatar, created a 3D MKV with MakeMkv, same result, goes into fast forward mode for both audio and video. The MKV also went into 2D mode when I started it despite having the 3D Auto setting set to ON and BD LIte turned off. So I hit the Menu button and selected 3D SBS and it switched to 3D but still in FF mode video and audio. For kicks I hit the Audio button on the HD720 and selected the regular (non-HD/lossy) DTS soundtrack and it fixed all problems. Go back to the HD soundtrack and back to video and audio in fast forward mode. Something weird going on but does the same thing with ISO or MKV when 3D.

When I hit info on the HD720 while playing Avatar it shows 23.99 fps despite me having HDMI 24 Hz set to off so this confuses me as well.

So what I know... I can play 2D MKVs and M2TS files with DTS-HD MA just fine all day long (providing I have the 24 Hz option off) through the HD720. But 3D for me with the HD720 is a no go unless I choose the lossy soundtrack vs. the HD soundtrack.

Receiver is a Denon AVR-4311, a very good receiver, and rock solid playing 2D and 3D Blurays with DTS-HD MA soundtrack on my Oppo BDP-93 Bluray player including having 24 Hz option on.

The HDMI cable I'm running between the HD720 and Denon receiver says High Speed right on it so I don't see that as being the source of a problem.

It all sounds to me for whatever reason the HD720 just doesn't want to play nice with my Denon A/V receiver for some unknown reason.
post #112 of 431 Old 01-09-2014, 08:51 PM

Liked: 10
Got my KDlinks 700 via Amazon a couple of days back. Really excited to set it up until some time back...

Setup:
- Netgear N900 gigabit router
- WD My Book Live NAS storage - wired Ethernet connection
- KD links also connected wired Ethernet

DVD rips that are 800p or 720p (4-5 GB in size) with regular 2ch sound play just fine. But the Blueray ISO files and .MKVs that are 1080p and DTS sound (16-20 GB) have a stuttering type of play. The system does not have a buffering sign or something like that circle of wait.... the video plays, but just stutters. Based on the reviews, I read that the ISO files work just fine. I am using a wired Ethernet with a Gigabit router and still facing stuttering issues.

Can anyone suggest any setup changes?
post #113 of 431 Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

OK I have an update on my issue which may help others (I'll e-mail Eric of KDLinks as well). The source of all of my problems with video and audio both in fast forward mode (in any ISO file and also 3D MKVs and with anything when turn 24 Hz option on) was having the Auto Lip Sync turned on (actually set to auto but I believe same as on). My Denon AVR-4311 a/v receiver also has a Lip Sync setting which was set to Auto. Once I turned the Lip Sync setting OFF on the HD720 and left it turned on on the Denon I can now playback ALL of my files 2D and 3D without issue. I'm now able to turn the HDMI 24 Hz option on in the HD720 with no problems. I play all titles from an internal hard drive I put in the HD720, nothing streamed over network.

I have an ISO (via SlySoft AnyDvd) and MKV (via MakeMkV) for Avatar 3D and Pacific Rim 3D. In the HD720 I have BD Lite turned off, Default 3D set to on and 1080p 24 Hz set to on. What I noticed consistent when playing back both titles:
-- ISO - defaults to 3D on, chapter skip works, FF/REW up to 32x works
-- MKV - defaults to 2D on (I had to hit Menu button and select 3D), FF/REW up to 32x works
The file sizes for Avatar: about 44 GB for MKV, 48 GB for ISO. Since the ISO defaults to 3D on and allows chapter skip I'm thinking I'll stick with ISO as my format of choice for 3D titles. Anyone know why the MKV doesn't default with 3D on like the ISO does? As I stated I have the HD720's Default 3D set to on and BD Lite turned off.
post #114 of 431 Old 01-10-2014, 04:02 AM

WynsWrld98 - Glad to hear you solved your problems. I was going to tell you I tried my 3D rips of both Finding Nemo (Dolby TrueHD) and Avatar (DTS-MA) last night. Both played fine - 3D came on automatically and stayed on at 24Hz. I checked my lip sync settings on both the 720 (auto) and my Denon 1612 also on ff/for both worked. I saw some pixilation when I ramped up the ff speed but other than that all seemed normal.

I did what you did - made an ISO and MKV. I ended up keeping the MKV because it captured the Navi subs. The BD ISO didn't for some reason. The English subs came on automatically and when I turned them off so went the Navi forced subs. Even the MKV made with the current version of MakeMKV didn't handle those subs cleanly - a few of the normal subs creep in during the Navi parts. I'd be curious about your experience with the subs in Avatar.
post #115 of 431 Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Nger View Post

WynsWrld98 - Glad to hear you solved your problems. I was going to tell you I tried my 3D rips of both Finding Nemo (Dolby TrueHD) and Avatar (DTS-MA) last night. Both played fine - 3D came on automatically and stayed on at 24Hz. I checked my lip sync settings on both the 720 (auto) and my Denon 1612 also on ff/for both worked. I saw some pixilation when I ramped up the ff speed but other than that all seemed normal.

I did what you did - made an ISO and MKV. I ended up keeping the MKV because it captured the Navi subs. The BD ISO didn't for some reason. The English subs came on automatically and when I turned them off so went the Navi forced subs. Even the MKV made with the current version of MakeMKV didn't handle those subs cleanly - a few of the normal subs creep in during the Navi parts. I'd be curious about your experience with the subs in Avatar.

I'm confused why the 3D is coming on automatically for you with 3D MKVs but not for me. I have 'Default 3D' set to on and BD Lite turned off. Are there any other settings I should be aware of to check in the HD720? And as I stated the ISO version of both files did automatically start in 3D, the problem is only with the MKVs. I'm using the latest version of MakeMkv and just made the files within the past few days.

I'm hoping KDLinks makes an Android app to control the HD720. I have this for my Oppo BDP-93 and it's very handy because when playing 3D with my Epson 6010 projector the way the 3D sync IR signal bounces off the screen it is impossible to use IR to control anything so controlling the Oppo/HD720 via an Android app where it isn't done via IR is very handy when watching 3D programming.
post #116 of 431 Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:

I'm confused why the 3D is coming on automatically for you with 3D MKVs but not for me. I have 'Default 3D' set to on and BD Lite turned off. Are there any other settings I should be aware of to check in the HD720? And as I stated the ISO version of both files did automatically start in 3D, the problem is only with the MKVs. I'm using the latest version of MakeMkv and just made the files within the past few days.

I'm hoping KDLinks makes an Android app to control the HD720. I have this for my Oppo BDP-93 and it's very handy because when playing 3D with my Epson 6010 projector the way the 3D sync IR signal bounces off the screen it is impossible to use IR to control anything so controlling the Oppo/HD720 via an Android app where it isn't done via IR is very handy when watching 3D programming.

Are you double checking the the MVC tickbox is checked when you rip the file? Does the KDLinks require any file name convention for 3D MKV?

Looky here!
post #117 of 431 Old 01-10-2014, 11:52 AM

MVC was checked off when I made my rips. Not aware of any other settings other than what you mentioned. My HDMI cables are probably 5 or 6 years old as well and certainly nothing special. They were cheapies I picked up back then for about 7 or 8 bucks a piece. I'm still thinking it's a handshake issue. Can you try some different cables and see what happens?
post #118 of 431 Old 01-10-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Are you double checking the the MVC tickbox is checked when you rip the file? Does the KDLinks require any file name convention for 3D MKV?
Yes, I check that box in MakeMkv because it is unchecked by default. I'm able to play the file in 3D if I hit the HD720 menu button and select 3D SBS. robnix mentions saying to verify MVC checkbox is checked but G1Nger makes it sound like he created his 3D MKV with the checkbox unchecked so how is it supposed to be?

I don't know anything about file conventions for 3D MKV that HD720 expects.
post #119 of 431 Old 01-11-2014, 04:46 AM

WynsWrld98 - I did check off the box in MakeMKV. Has anyone heard when the next firmware will be available and what it will address?
post #120 of 431 Old 01-11-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:

Yes, I check that box in MakeMkv because it is unchecked by default. I'm able to play the file in 3D if I hit the HD720 menu button and select 3D SBS. robnix mentions saying to verify MVC checkbox is checked but G1Nger makes it sound like he created his 3D MKV with the checkbox unchecked so how is it supposed to be?

I don't know anything about file conventions for 3D MKV that HD720 expects.

Some of the other players that use this chipset require MKV MVC files to have an indicator like [3D] or something like that in the file name. IIRC, the chipset doesn't autodetect the MVC stream. Mede8er required [3DSBS] in the name of each 3D MKV. Note this is just a tag, the player will playback the 3D file correctly once it knows the file is a 3D file.

Looky here!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Kdlinks Hd720 Extreme Full Hd 1080p 3d Media Player With Internal Hdd Bay Gigabit Network Built In W
Gear in this thread - Hd720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page