AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

@ WynsWrld98

Here is a brief tutorial on MyMovies to get you started.
Thanks. I don't put each movie into a different folder, I have one folder that contains a lot of movies, each a single file like Black Hawk Down.m2ts, Black Hawk Down.mkv, Black Hawk Down.iso. So since MyMovies creates an about.jpg file name there is no way to do this unless you have each movie in a separate folder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 481 Old 01-18-2014, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You would have to name everything themoviename.jpg since every about.jpg would get overwritten. Not sure if mm can do this.
post #183 of 481 Old 01-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

You should see how it generates the meta for tv on a htpc running wmc.

I have thought about building a HTPC, or actually using a spare Dell i5 desktop that I have, but am concerned about the folks reporting having to work on it all the time to keep it working. What is the problem, just normal Windows stuff? I hesitate to have to boot into Win 8 just to watch a movie or recorded TV show, but I guess I could leave it in hibernate or sleep mode all the time until needed.
post #184 of 481 Old 01-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

For those who want to expand the number of USB drives connected to the HD720, I can report that both the 4 bay and 8 bay Mediasonic ProBox external USB3 enclosures work:

http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1357290977

http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1357290761

I first loaded 4 drives with content into the ProBox 4, fired up the HD720, clicked on USB and all 4 drives were there.

Same thing on the ProBox 8 with 8 drives installed.

This was a quick test and not all 8 drives had HD content on them, but they did show up under the USB tab and all were accessible; those that did have HD video on them played just fine.

Unfortunately, the tortoise slow speed transfers remain - I just tried coping a 30+ gig file from the internal HD720 hard drive to one of the external ones in the ProBox 8 and only got 3-4 mbs.

But, again, playback of HD video from the external box was just fine.

Again, I did not spend much time with this, since all my stuff is on a Synology 1812+, but I just wanted to see if it would work and it appears that it does.
post #185 of 481 Old 01-18-2014, 01:37 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone have any issues with PCM audio. I have tried to backup Bram Stoker's Dracula and Kung Fu Hustle, and if I leave the PCM intact there is no sound in my mkv files. I can convert it to flac however and it plays ok. I always keep the hd audio intact in my backups, so I would prefer not to convert to flac or AC3.

Not sure if it is my files or the Kdlinks HD720 player. It says on the specs that the player can play PCM audio, so not sure what gives.
post #186 of 481 Old 01-18-2014, 01:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Does anyone have any issues with PCM audio. I have tried to backup Bram Stoker's Dracula and Kung Fu Hustle, and if I leave the PCM intact there is no sound in my mkv files. I can convert it to flac however and it plays ok. I always keep the hd audio intact in my backups, so I would prefer not to convert to flac or AC3.

Not sure if it is my files or the Kdlinks HD720 player. It says on the specs that the player can play PCM audio, so not sure what gives.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500875/official-kdlinks-hd-streaming-media-player-thread/120#post_24197598
post #187 of 481 Old 01-19-2014, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

The on screen display from my Denon 4311 AVR is not visible when watching the HD720. I have tried various settings to no avail. Anyone have an idea on how to resolve this? Thanks.
post #188 of 481 Old 01-19-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 31
With my Denon 3808 if I don't have "Video Convert" enabled I don' t see the OSD. Not sure if its the same on your Denon. But the video overlay not showing up seems to be a Denon thing, not a KDLinks thing.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #189 of 481 Old 01-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the hint. I get the Denon's on screen display on every other source, so I thought it was with the Kdlinks. I will check the convert setting tonight.
post #190 of 481 Old 01-19-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

With my Denon 3808 if I don't have "Video Convert" enabled I don' t see the OSD. Not sure if its the same on your Denon. But the video overlay not showing up seems to be a Denon thing, not a KDLinks thing.

Same for me with my 4311...
post #191 of 481 Old 01-20-2014, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

With video convert on or off, still no Denon on screen display. I suppose I can live with this, but there are times when I want to change modes on Audyssey DSX and having the display is really needed for that.

I really want to like the KDlinks player, but I find myself going back to the Netgear NTV 550. I have a couple of spare NTV 550s still boxed up that I bought on clearance and I am glad that I have them as backups.

The two big advantages of the KDlinks over the Netgear are that FF and REW actually work and HD files load much quicker than on the Netgear. The internal HD on the KDlinks is nice, but all my stuff is on a NAS anyway.
post #192 of 481 Old 01-20-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones View Post

With video convert on or off, still no Denon on screen display. I suppose I can live with this, but there are times when I want to change modes on Audyssey DSX and having the display is really needed for that.

I really want to like the KDlinks player, but I find myself going back to the Netgear NTV 550. I have a couple of spare NTV 550s still boxed up that I bought on clearance and I am glad that I have them as backups.

The two big advantages of the KDlinks over the Netgear are that FF and REW actually work and HD files load much quicker than on the Netgear. The internal HD on the KDlinks is nice, but all my stuff is on a NAS anyway.

That is really odd, never had that problem with the HD720 and my AVR-4311 and I've had the HD720 for a few months now and use it quite a bit.
post #193 of 481 Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

I do have a HDMI switch in line. I will take it out and see if that makes a difference. Also, I have not loaded the 1.1 firmware onto the KDLinks. Even tho it came with 1.1, another post said that re-installing the version from the web helped.
post #194 of 481 Old 01-20-2014, 10:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Even tho it came with 1.1, another post said that re-installing the version from the web helped.

Also, changing settings back to factory default after the firmware "upgrade" seemed to help as well (such as the problem with the unit booting into the setup screen).
post #195 of 481 Old 01-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I got the on screen display from my Denon working with the KDLinks player. First, I flashed the firmware - no on screen display. Then I did a reset to factory (which did nothing since that was done during the firmware upgrade) but still no display. Took the HDMI switch out of the loop - still no on screen display from the Denon.

I have a TV hooked to the HDMI 2 out of the Denon - I use it when I don't want to fire up the projector. I turned it on - there was the Denon's display on the TV and the projector screen.

Good ole HDMI handshake problem I presume. What would we do without them??biggrin.gif
post #196 of 481 Old 01-21-2014, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I noticed a quirky thing with my 720 when I connect it to my pc for ripping a movie. When I attach and then power on I always get a scan disk dialog screen. So I click on start scan and it very quickly gets up to 1207 SD etc and never completes. I even let it run overnight once with no success. So I just ignored the scan option and did my ripping. Yesterday I powered up the 720 the display showed Loading. I went ahead and attached the 2.0 to 3.0 cable the display changed to Home and then finally to OTG Mode and no scan disk dialog prompt. I repeated this sequence a few times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke and sure enough no scan dialog. So if any of you are frustrated by the scan disk message and wonder how to stop it from appearing this may work for you. BTW I have a 4TB Seagate internal HDD with about 1.5 TB of free space.
post #197 of 481 Old 01-21-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I got the on screen display from my Denon working with the KDLinks player. First, I flashed the firmware - no on screen display. Then I did a reset to factory (which did nothing since that was done during the firmware upgrade) but still no display. Took the HDMI switch out of the loop - still no on screen display from the Denon.

I have a TV hooked to the HDMI 2 out of the Denon - I use it when I don't want to fire up the projector. I turned it on - there was the Denon's display on the TV and the projector screen.

Good ole HDMI handshake problem I presume. What would we do without them??biggrin.gif

I spoke too soon. Last night I could not get the Denon on screen display to show on the projector until I turned on the TV. Never had this problem on multiple other devices hooked to the Denon, so I am assuming it is something in the firmware on the KDLinks player.
post #198 of 481 Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Hi all - I'm having a problem with my KD Links 720 accessing a NFS share off a Synology NAS. I'm having a problem - when I access the NFS shares from the File Manager menu, it shows the three NFS shares with the correct folder, but when I click to access any them, the unit shows the rotating "working" icon and freezes. The only way to stop it is to pull the power. Remote doesn't work, power button on the front doesn't work.

This has worked until recently - then I had to monkey with the Synology and now it doesn't work.

I know - you all are thinking NFS permissions. I have checked and all the NFS permissions I can think of are set to allow access. And I have an XBMC on an Apple TV that access the same Synology and has continued to work fine. I can access the same Synology via UPNP or SAMBA and it works fine. The reason I want to use the NFS is that it is faster and I have the Movie Jukebox app all set with about 100 movies setup - I'd hate to go reindex them using SAMBA.

Thanks!
post #199 of 481 Old 01-21-2014, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I spoke too soon. Last night I could not get the Denon on screen display to show on the projector until I turned on the TV. Never had this problem on multiple other devices hooked to the Denon, so I am assuming it is something in the firmware on the KDLinks player.
Have you reported this to Eric of KDLinks?
post #200 of 481 Old 01-22-2014, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Have you reported this to Eric of KDLinks?

I thought I read that he monitors this thread.
post #201 of 481 Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought I read that he monitors this thread.
I brought this thread to his attention when i started it. He is very responsive via email.
post #202 of 481 Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Their is new firmware on kdlinks home page
post #203 of 481 Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh, cool, I will try and get a changelog from Eric and post it here.
post #204 of 481 Old 01-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

Thanks, I will install it tonight and see if it takes care of my on screen display problem.
post #205 of 481 Old 01-23-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

Hmm. Says it's v 1.2 beta. To try or not to try...
post #206 of 481 Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've installed it. Had to go through initial setup afterwards. There was a new entry under MIsc for favourite subtitle. I changed it to Auto from off. Not sure what that actually does. Maybe better handling of forced subtitles? I didn't see any other information about what else the firmware is designed to address.
post #207 of 481 Old 01-23-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Nger View Post

I've installed it. Had to go through initial setup afterwards. There was a new entry under MIsc for favourite subtitle. I changed it to Auto from off. Not sure what that actually does. Maybe better handling of forced subtitles? I didn't see any other information about what else the firmware is designed to address.

Are you saying it reset any selections you made and went back to defaults?? I sure hope not!
post #208 of 481 Old 01-24-2014, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

I loaded 1.2Beta to see if it fixed my on screen display problem - no it did not. I did not have a chance to play with it other than that to see what other things were included in the Beta.

Ever since I ran Collection Management all the fanart, poster, etc. files show up in addition to the .iso file for the main show or movie, at least in Files Manager view. I have to scroll thru all that stuff to find the .iso.

Oh well, at least this is not my default player and at this rate it may never be. The good news is that I had enough "points" on my Amazon credit card to get the KDlinks player for half price out of pocket. I suppose I will keep it since I found a couple of .iso files that it would play that the Netgear wouldn't. But the Netgear will be used for everyday playback, at least for now.
post #209 of 481 Old 01-24-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The mymovies collection management? Works fine on mine.

The kdlinks reads bd playlist files which help with playing seamless branching rips. It also utilizes chapter points. Something that the wdtv does not do.

Its been demoted to the downstairs player. Which is great. When i go down there i don't want to fiddle. I just go down there to watch movies. And get it running as quick as possible.
post #210 of 481 Old 01-24-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The mymovies collection management? Works fine on mine.

The kdlinks reads bd playlist files which help with playing seamless branching rips. It also utilizes chapter points. Something that the wdtv does not do.

Its been demoted to the downstairs player. Which is great. When i go down there i don't want to fiddle. I just go down there to watch movies. And get it running as quick as possible.

Can you elaborate on how you put "Bluray playlists" on the HD720? What files and did you get them via a software program?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Kdlinks Hd720 Extreme Full Hd 1080p 3d Media Player With Internal Hdd Bay Gigabit Network Built In W
Gear in this thread - Hd720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page