Need DVD & Blue-ray ripping help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-26-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am trying to rip my DVD collection and I have been going through several software applications that I have read about on here and through research but, I am having a lot of problems with quality, sound, and file size.

I have tried DVDFab 8 and just upgraded to 9 and paid for the all in one suite. Pros, rips to MKV, small file size. Cons, it takes ungodly amount of time. Anywhere between 3,4,5 hours if not at all.

Next I tried MakeMKV as I want all my files to be MKV as they are smlaller formats. Pros, rips very fast, in under 30 mins, simple to use. Cons. file sizes are very large. I.E. just ripped The Hangover 3 and it was 4.5 GB compared to what DVDFab sizes of 1.5 GB at the most. Also the audio wasn't in Dolby Digital, picture was horrible, it was all pixilated and very choppy.

Next I tried DVDShrink, I didn't let it finish as it wasn't saving in MKV but appeared to be very fast too.

I am not sure if I am just not using the right settings or there is something I am overlooking. Mainly I am just trying to keep the HD quality if possible or at least the best I can. If Dolby Digital is available then being able to keep the audio as DD. The lastly, keep the file size as small as possible. I understand these files will be large but, if one is creating 1.5 GB MKV files and the other is 4.5 GB then I know it is possible to get them fairly small.

My equipment, the computer is a Dell Precision T3400 working stations running Win 7 Pro 64-bit with 32 GB of memory processor is a Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz with 3 solid state 1 TB drives. TV is a Samsung SmartTV 8000 series, AVR is Denon X2000 and my media player is a Dune HD Smart D1. The movies are being stored on a NAS device that I am ripping to. I hope that is enough info. Does any one have any suggestions or advice?

-Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked: 16
This is just my opinion, if you are trying to compress your DVDs to 1.5 GB, then you might as well just subscribe to Netflix streaming and save yourself all the hassle with ripping and storage.

Still Learning
post #3 of 14 Old 11-26-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

This is just my opinion, if you are trying to compress your DVDs to 1.5 GB, then you might as well just subscribe to Netflix streaming and save yourself all the hassle with ripping and storage.

No, I am not doing any compression. That is just the total file size in which DVDFab was saving them as.

Netflix wouldn't even come close to an option and defeats the purpose of having a personal movie library as Netflix doesn't offer quality movies.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-26-2013, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post

No, I am not doing any compression. That is just the total file size in which DVDFab was saving them as.

We are talking a typical retail movie DVD, right?

DVDFab can use terminology in a slightly different way than some may understand. "Copy" makes a 1:1 of the disk or just the movie. There is no compression and no changes are made to the video or audio. In general, a 4 GB movie on the DVD disk will be 4 GB file when DVDFab is done.

On the other hand, "Ripping" a movie means to make a "copy" and then compress and change the format to something else. For instance, you can "rip" a movie to an MKV or AVI container and use compression to make the resultant file smaller than if your had just "copied" it. The 4 GB movie on the DVD will end up smaller such as your 1.5 GB file. This saves space but will decrease resolution and may cause artifacts when watching on your TV. Also, "ripping" can change the format of the audio so as to get a smaller sized resultant file.

DVDFab can make a copy of the whole disk, make a copy of just the movie, or you can rip and compress the movie. It sounds like the reason it takes so long to make your MKV with DVDFab is because you were "ripping" to a new container (MKV) and compressing the file to save on space.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post

We are talking a typical retail movie DVD, right?

Yes we are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post

DVDFab can make a copy of the whole disk, make a copy of just the movie, or you can rip and compress the movie. It sounds like the reason it takes so long to make your MKV with DVDFab is because you were "ripping" to a new container (MKV) and compressing the file to save on space.

I am just ripping the disc to MKV, I am not doing any compression, at least not that I am aware of. If it is, it is because DVDFab is doing it in the background or I am overlooking a setting that does this. The disc I just ripped is 4.5 GB and when I ripped it with DVDFab it made it 1.74 GB. The quality looked horrible, it wasn't in Dolby Digital it was in Dolby Pro Logic 2 so it was upscaled. It also took 2 1/2 hrs to rip it. I put the same disc in my DVD/Blu-ray player and it was crystal clear and in Dolby Digital. I know the picture quality will be greatly degraded when ripping it but, it is horrible and HD is pretty much non-existent. I would just settle for clear and not something that looks like was filmed in the 1980's from a 2013 movie. At the very least keep the audio encoding. If it is available in Dolby Digital then allow me to watch the movie with Dolby Digital audio.

Is there any recommended software that I haven't tried or some settings I can try to at least get the best possible picture and audio? I will sacrifice disk space for better video and audio as I have plenty of disk space.

Here is a screen shot of the recent movie I ripped with DVDFab with the settings. Not much to choose from.

post #6 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Try Handbrake. Play with the video settings and see if you come up with something you like.
http://handbrake.fr/
post #7 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
You are re-encoding the movie with DVDFab. Thats why it is taking so long.

In your screenshot above, you need to tick the 'Copy video' box, and also the 'Copy audio' box. This will give you the original DVD audio and video streams, just remuxed into a MKV container.

Alternatively use the 'Copy' tab at the top for traditional folder rips.
Phrehdd likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 AM

Agree with Elario.

You have custom settings.

Under Video:
1) Potentially different resolution than original video.
2) Custominzed Video selected with Bit Rate, desired Output Size, and bits/per pixel requiring compression and degradation of the original video, how much is acceptable is up to your eyes.

Under Audio:
1) Channels set to Dolby Surround/Pro and Bit Rate of 192 kbps which doesn't sound like the original audio source. Compression of the audio is being done.

Follow what Elario said and you will get the movie in its original file size and quality without compression. Which way you choose is dependent upon what container you want the resultant video file in - ISO, MKV, etc. If you use "Copy" in DVDFab, no compression will be done and you can choose to make a copy of the whole DVD or just the movie and not the extras.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elario View Post

In your screenshot above, you need to tick the 'Copy video' box, and also the 'Copy audio' box. This will give you the original DVD audio and video streams, just remuxed into a MKV container.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elario View Post

If I tick the 'Copy video' box, and also the 'Copy audio' box. It won't rip discs at all. I have literally left a disc in there all day and came back 24 hours later and it hadn't even moved 1%.

If I use the 'Copy' tab, it doesn't give me an option to save as MKV.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

If I tick the 'Copy video' box, and also the 'Copy audio' box. It won't rip discs at all. I have literally left a disc in there all day and came back 24 hours later and it hadn't even moved 1%.

So just use MakeMKV instead.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Ripped The Matrix (a DVD9) using "Copy Video" and "Copy Audio" to an MKV without any alterations or compression in 13:20 with the resultant single file is 4.83 GB. Then I did a Main Movie "Copy" to VOB format in 13:20 and total files size of 5.31 GB.

Either your computer setup, computer components, DVDFab is corrupted, or DVDFab setup are at issue. It is not the app.

BTW, I was able to make an MKV of an ISO of a different DVD5 movie on the hard drive in under 20 seconds with DVDFab Ripper. I was saving to a SSD which probably decreased the overall time, but
post #12 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

If I tick the 'Copy video' box, and also the 'Copy audio' box. It won't rip discs at all.
Yes, it will, even the 9.x version so you did someting weird which is not too surprising given how confused your first post sounds. That said, DVDFab's encoder sucks so if you really want smaller file sizes while retaining quality, you should rip with DVDFab and encode to H.264/DTS/MKV with Handbrake which will take quite some time on your 2.4 Ghz CPU.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #13 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

you should rip with DVDFab and encode to H.264/DTS/MKV with Handbrake which will take quite some time on your 2.4 Ghz CPU.
When talking DVDFab language, this means "COPY" with DVDFab (main movie only in you case) and then transcoding with Handbrake. With other apps, "rip" means to make a copy. Why DVDFab chose to split the meaning is probably a marketing tool since they charge for each function - copy or rip - separately.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't speak DVDFab language, never have, never will wink.gif

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version