*Official* Vizio Streaming Thread (mkv's mp4's, etc...) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I have a new M series tv and the first thing I wanted to try to do was stream 720p - 1080p mkv's, mp4's, etc. Most tv's cannot do this without a program like ps3 media server. But if you use this program, it locks up the tv and will not work.I found a program that will work and does all these files and the others that you normally can't do. All you need are files that are on your computers harddrive, and you can stream them to your tv in blue-ray quality.

1) Download TvMobili http://www.tvmobili.com/download-media-server.php

2) after downloading the program, click "status" and it will show that it detected your tv as "LG client".
CHANGE this to "vizio client" via the drop down menu.

3) Click on "settings" tab and make sure the folders where you movies are stored are listed. If not, add them.

Done.

If anyone has anymore tips, please share, or any other ways you've found to send pictures/videos to your tv from your phone.
phildaant likes this.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
WHOA COOL I'll be installing that tonight!! I noticed my M50 showed my PC as a device in Multimedia, but it didn't list anything that could be viewed (video, audio, or photos). Hopefully this will allow it to do that.

I was just trying to watch an MKV file on the TV last night using a USB stick, but it apparently wouldn't recognize the file. I had to download some software to convert it to AVI, so hopefully I can now watch the file via USB, or even better just stream it through the router (both TV and PC are wired connections) with this software hopefully.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-04-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please excuse my ignorance in this area but would this allow me to stream Itunes movies to my tv from my computer w/o Apple TV or a similar device?
post #4 of 21 Old 12-04-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

WHOA COOL I'll be installing that tonight!! I noticed my M50 showed my PC as a device in Multimedia, but it didn't list anything that could be viewed (video, audio, or photos). Hopefully this will allow it to do that.

I was just trying to watch an MKV file on the TV last night using a USB stick, but it apparently wouldn't recognize the file. I had to download some software to convert it to AVI, so hopefully I can now watch the file via USB, or even better just stream it through the router (both TV and PC are wired connections) with this software hopefully.

Yes, this will allow you to stream movies from your computer through the router wireless or wired smile.gif I've spent a lot of time working with vizio and the creators of the program to get this figured out.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

post #5 of 21 Old 12-04-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmine848 View Post

Please excuse my ignorance in this area but would this allow me to stream Itunes movies to my tv from my computer w/o Apple TV or a similar device?

You are correct!!!

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #6 of 21 Old 12-04-2013, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was under the impression that ITunes movies were encoded in a way that prevented them from being streamed except through Apple TV
post #7 of 21 Old 12-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Okay got it all set up. I have a video in MKV that I converted to MP4 last night. The TV will stream and play the MKV file but will not display the image or sound on the MP4 sound. Wonder what's up with that?

Also it appears this is a trial version? How long before it has to be purchased?

And the TV freezes up REALLY bad after watching a video such that it has to sit there forever while showing the list of files before I can do anything else. At this rate I'll be uninstalling the program and just running HDMI and optical cables from my PC to my TV (already ordered, should be here tomorrow). Then I'll simply be using the TV as a computer monitor and watching video that way.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Did you select "Vizio Client"?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #9 of 21 Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Yes I did.

And now after freezing my TV to the point of having to unplug it and plug it back in, now the TV doesn't even see the TVmobili media server at all listed under DLNA media devices.

So far this software is a massive steaming pile of junk. Either that or this M501d-A2r TV just doesn't like it at all.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

So I did a little more research on DLNA servers, and found a Lifehacker page which took a poll asking for nominations and then voting on the 5 best DLNA media server solutions. The overwhelming winner was Plex, which I'll be checking out pretty soon. I will pretty much definitely be uninstalling TVMOBiLi.

http://lifehacker.com/5975362/five-best-desktop-media-servers

http://www.plexapp.com/
post #11 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

So I did a little more research on DLNA servers, and found a Lifehacker page which took a poll asking for nominations and then voting on the 5 best DLNA media server solutions. The overwhelming winner was Plex, which I'll be checking out pretty soon. I will pretty much definitely be uninstalling TVMOBiLi.

http://lifehacker.com/5975362/five-best-desktop-media-servers

http://www.plexapp.com/

Plex is a very good DLNA Server. It's been around for a while and has really progressed. My TV isn't DLNA (Vizio 554) but it works on my Popcornhour, Vizio CoStar, and my Samsung Note 10.1. I'm surprised that XBMC wasn't listed. I haven't used that in quite a while so I don't know how advanced it is.

Check Plex out, I think you will like it.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, after working with vizio for many hours they formed a team of people to test about 10 media servers and which will play the file types. This is one time where "one person can make a difference" payed off! I've spent a ton of time on this and still feel TvMobili is the way to go, because I'm in direct contact witht he author of the program who updates the engine on the fly. But, everyone look at this:

Vizio_Streaming_results.xlsx 29k .xlsx file

The above attachment even also has notes on each media server on what to tweak to get it to work with vizio tv's.

NOTE! Vizio tv's handle these files differently than other tv's (requesting information about the file before and after the transcoding) and even the most popular media server app, ps3 media server doesn't work with the Vizio yet.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Vizio_Streaming_results.xlsx (29.3 KB, 214 views)

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #13 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tried Mezzmo or Serviio both are great dlna media servers.

HTC One
post #14 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 10:00 PM

I don't think mp4s longer than 23 minutes work on tvmobili, (it tries to stream normally and the vizio can't handle long streamed mp4s) apparently the person that tested that found one that worked and one that didn't... that should be the difference he or she was unaware of.

Will give plex a try.

Thought I gave serviio a decent shot and it didn't work. Can't test now as my wife is watching the TV. Actually making use of the TV is getting in my way of obsessively testing it.

post #15 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

hmm well I have a 720p 1.8 GB MKV file, which I converted to 1080p MP4 and it ended up being 4.9 GB. When I tried to stream the MP4 file on the TV it would not play at all, or maybe it was sitting there buffering forever and I never did let it finish or something, I don't know. I did get the MKV file to play, which I think was being transcoded on the fly by TVMOBiLi to something else, because the MKV file itself would not show up at all if I tried to access it on a USB stick.

But even still, it took somewhere between 5-10 minutes before the MKV file would even start playing. That is simply unacceptable. I'll just use an HDMI cable and clone the desktop to the TV to play files directly on the PC if streaming via DLNA server is going to be that much of a problem.
post #16 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

hmm well I have a 720p 1.8 GB MKV file, which I converted to 1080p MP4 and it ended up being 4.9 GB. When I tried to stream the MP4 file on the TV it would not play at all, or maybe it was sitting there buffering forever and I never did let it finish or something, I don't know. I did get the MKV file to play, which I think was being transcoded on the fly by TVMOBiLi to something else, because the MKV file itself would not show up at all if I tried to access it on a USB stick.

But even still, it took somewhere between 5-10 minutes before the MKV file would even start playing. That is simply unacceptable. I'll just use an HDMI cable and clone the desktop to the TV to play files directly on the PC if streaming via DLNA server is going to be that much of a problem.

I've streamed 1080p mp4's at 9 gig no problem. The first time you play it, it plays instantly. It's when you go back in later when it can hang a little.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #17 of 21 Old 12-08-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

1) Update, another update to TvMobili. Make sure you have version 2.1.0.4303 running. If so, just go to the "status tab" and change it to a new option called "vizio client mpeg", instead of just "visio client".

2) If you don't have version 2.1.0.4303, go to settings, then SYNCHRONISE, and it will update you. Then follow step 1 above.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #18 of 21 Old 12-11-2013, 12:24 AM

Jasonn-

I have the latest version 2.1..0.4303 and there is no new version called "vizio client mpeg" In fact the only option I can see is "visio-client". Am I missing something?

With the "visio-client" option selected I receive an error on my Vizio television stating audio and video codec not supported. Have tried playing mp4 and avi and have had no luck.....
post #19 of 21 Old 03-30-2014, 10:56 PM

I have a newer 50" Vizio LED smart TV. I've always used PS3 media server as the DLNA server software on my house fileserver. It never worked with the built in Vizio TV streaming/media app. It would browse my directory listings, but lock up the tv when trying to start streaming, no matter the filetype. I finally got sick of it and did some searching. I found this thread, and read about TV MOBiLi. Removed PS3 Media Server and installed this....changed the TV to 'Vizio Client', and it works great! Navigating the directory listings on the TV can be kind of slow and seem to hang sometimes. However once you start streaming, it's excellent. I tried MP4's & MKV's tonight, and no problems.

Thanks for recommending this software Jasonn B!
post #20 of 21 Old 05-12-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Right now, I'm resorting to watching the little I can put on flash drives, but the plan has always been to connect my video cards DVI-I output to an HDMI port on my 70" and then switch to that connection when I wanted to watch my drives content - I currently run an s-video out to s-video in on my analog set - with the program VLC,  Has anyone here gone that route and found it wouldn't work?  They are 720p and 1080 mkvs mostly.    

post #21 of 21 Old 05-28-2014, 06:20 PM

I have tried TvMobili and it works pretty good.  But I am really looking forward to a PLEX app.  There is a third party developer that has created an app called CRASHPLAYER for Yahoo connected TV and he is trying to get it authorized by and on the Yahoo connected store.  It looks really promising as can be seen in the video below.  Please support him, and follow his progress.

https://www.facebook.com/crashplayertv

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page