Airplay doesn't work with Pioneer Elite VSX-43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-05-2013, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23

Hi,

I'm trying to get Airplay streaming to work with my new Pioneer VSX-43. It's connected to my network using an old Linksys WRT-54GS using Tomato firmware as a wireless bridge. I have followed all the directions to get Airplay to work on my Mac and the receiver. 

The wireless bridge is working properly, as when I connect my Mac to it I am able to load websites etc. 

The VSX-43 is able to connect to my router. It gets an IP address and other configuration through DHCP. I can see it in iTunes on my Mac Mini and in the Music app on my iPhone when I click the Airplay icon, it's listed as "VSX-43". But when I select it for playback, I get an error message 'The AirPlay device “VSX-43” cannot be found on your network. Please verify your network settings and AirPlay configuration or select another device.' My network settings seem to be correct. 

Am I missing some configuration options on the receiver or the Mac? I bought this receiver partly because it promised advanced network sharing options including wireless Android and iPhone connectivity; was this a false promise? 

I will appreciate any help or other information. How can I diagnose this problem? The VSX43 seems to lack any tools for network diagnosis; not even ping. Overall I'm really disappointed with the software on this receiver. 

Panasonic TCP55ST50

Panasonic DMP-BTD220

Pioneer Elite VSX-43

2X Bang & Olufsen Beovox S75

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-05-2013, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
AirPlay, similar to UPnP/DLNA, uses multicast. If the multicast packets aren't being forwarded properly, then there's a possibility AirPlay won't work. Things like Internet browsing and pinging on the network are independent of multicast, so if they are working, it does not mean multicast is also working on the network. There are known issues with some network devices' handling of multicast. For example, some routers have problems forwarding multicast packets from the wired portion of the network to the wireless part and vice versa.

I'd start by getting the simplest connection possible between your main router, the AVR and the Mac mini, ie, wired ethernet, before even thinking about complicating things by using wireless network bridges, etc. The AVR appears to be properly setup to be connected to the network (eg its DHCP configuration). A good test to see if it is connected properly to the network will be to see if you can access the AVR via its control app from an iOS or Android device. Another, would be to test if its DNS server IP settings are ok and thus test if the AVR can access the internet, by seeing if the internet radio is working.

If you are happy that the AVR is properly connected to the network, you can now test to see if AirPlay works with that same simple wired configuration. It'll help you isolate the problem and at least show if your AVR is able to stream using AirPlay, rather than being prevented from doing so by some faulty network component. For good measure, I'd test to see if UPnP/DLNA streaming is working as well, by installing a decent UPnP/DLNA server on your Mac such as the excellent free MinimServer. After configuring the UPnP/DLNA server to access your Mac's stored music files, you should be able to access the UPnP server & stream the music files to your AVR, using its control app.
techie52 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-05-2013, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It's more likely your old WRT-54GS is the culprit blocking Airplay from working unless you can prove otherwise with something else plugged into it and working with Airplay. Look around in the tomato firmware for IGMP multicast and turn it on if it offers the option, that might get it going or it could just be bugged to begin with.

If you want a reliable ethernet to wireless bridge an Apple Airport Express is the one buy which will also give you a backup path for Airplay as the Airport doubles as an Airplay device, the 3.5mm output on the Airport will work with analogue or optical (with adapter) inputs.
techie52 likes this.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2013, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Definitely agree with Alx330. Also, an alternative to using wireless would be to use powerline homeplug network adapters.
techie52 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23

Yes!

Thanks to both of you for your help. Tomato firmware has an option, "Allow multicast" on the firewall screen, disabled by default. It didn't seem to do the job at first, but after rebooting everything (plus a couple hours when I thought I'd bricked the AVR trying to update the firmware) Airplay works.

Minimserver looks really interesting and worthwhile. I'll look into it once I get my system a little more stable.

Thanks again!

Panasonic TCP55ST50

Panasonic DMP-BTD220

Pioneer Elite VSX-43

2X Bang & Olufsen Beovox S75

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Pioneer Elite Vsx 43

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page