I am very much lacking knowledge and after browsing around this forum I felt a tad overwhelmed at all the options so I thought I would make a post looking for advice. I am looking to setting up a home media system that will allow me to do the following:
- It will be located near the TV
- Will have a remote and/or app (app preferable addition) that will allow me to select music via the TV. I have no problem if it runs completely independent from the TV, keeping the next point in mind.
- A way to store music on the device itself is preferable
- I purchased a 3rd generation AppleTV and the WiFi in my apartment is lackluster at best. Not sure if it is a problem with the AppleTV itself, but even with a repeater I can't get fast streams and there are constant errors with connecting to iTunes. If this is a known issue with them I'd be open to trying a different streamer. that will let me add music/video without the hassle of iTunes or converting to .mp4
- This could be as simple as buying a mp3 player and hooking it up to a good audio/speaker system, but I would preferably that this be a single unit.
So basically one of two options would be good for me:
- A confirmation that the AppleTV3 is not suited for my needs and I happened to pick a bad streamer. A recommendation for a good streamer would be great. If the streamer allows me to hook up an external HD directly (without need for a PC middleman) and automatically detect audio/video (even if I have to predefine it or put it in a specific folder so it knows where to look) that would be sublime, as it would eliminate any potential wifi issues.
- A home media system that will store music that is not too costly
For me #1 would be preferable (hence why I chose this sub-forum) so I can listen to music and watch videos on the streamer. ANy recommendation/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Looking around I see the WD TV looks like a good fit for my needs as I can just plug in my external HDD and go - can any of the more knowledgeable people confirm that this fits my needs? Wouldn't want to waste more money on something that won't fit the bill
|Western Digital Wd Tv Hd Media Player|