Home media system - need advice on what will suit my needs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-11-2013, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am very much lacking knowledge and after browsing around this forum I felt a tad overwhelmed at all the options so I thought I would make a post looking for advice.  I am looking to setting up a home media system that will allow me to do the following:

• It will be located near the TV
  • Will have a remote and/or app (app preferable addition) that will allow me to select music via the TV.  I have no problem if it runs completely independent from the TV, keeping the next point in mind.
  • A way to store music on the device itself is preferable
    • I purchased a 3rd generation AppleTV and the WiFi in my apartment is lackluster at best.  Not sure if it is a problem with the AppleTV itself, but even with a repeater I can't get fast streams and there are constant errors with connecting to iTunes.  If this is a known issue with them I'd be open to trying a different streamer. that will let me add music/video without the hassle of iTunes or converting to .mp4
  • This could be as simple as buying a mp3 player and hooking it up to a good audio/speaker system, but I would preferably that this be a single unit. 

So basically one of two options would be good for me:

1. A confirmation that the AppleTV3 is not suited for my needs and I happened to pick a bad streamer.  A recommendation for a good streamer would be great.  If the streamer allows me to hook up an external HD directly (without need for a PC middleman) and automatically detect audio/video (even if I have to predefine it or put it in a specific folder so it knows where to look) that would be sublime, as it would eliminate any potential wifi issues. 
  2. A home media system that will store music that is not too costly

For me #1 would be preferable (hence why I chose this sub-forum) so I can listen to music and watch videos on the streamer.  ANy recommendation/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Looking around I see the WD TV looks like a good fit for my needs as I can just plug in my external HDD and go - can any of the more knowledgeable people confirm that this fits my needs?  Wouldn't want to waste more money on something that won't fit the bill

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Hd Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page