Help planning my streaming setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-15-2013, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

I'm planning to get a media streamer and have a couple of questions.

1. I've been thinking about which player to get and think it's between WD TV Live and Dune HD 3D

I think the WD can pretty much play anything but if I want 3D then I need Dune? What other benefits are there. I can get the Dune but Don't want to spend more than I need too. Are there other players I should be considering? Basically, i want to be able to play anything I download. I don't watch much 3D but maybe I would if i could...

Opinions are appreciated.

2. I have a ton of videos in many different places and would like to consolidate everything into a neat library. I'm planning to get a drobo 5N and put everything on there.

I installed plex on my computer and started to create a little library with just some of my files. It seems that it pulls data from the file and then looks it up on imdb or something and gives me all the movie info. But there are some where the data is incorrect or missing. I can edit that info in plex but it only edits the listing in plex.

How can I edit that info in the actual file so that any device that connects to that drive will list it properly?

Is there a best practice for storing media and having it's metadata be correct and complete?

I'm using Mac btw

thanks for the help!

T

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-15-2013, 08:36 AM

Liked: 17

Why not just get a Roku, ATV or GTV and use the Plexclient there? Looks much better then most other players, and syncs data to a centralized server, information about what's been watched, by who etc.

But PlexServer doesn't scrape the metadata like MCM, XBMC, Ember or others, it just collects the metadata inside its own database, there's no way AFAIK to make it copy that data also to the directory itself, as it's not needed for Plex Clients. I personally use MCM to handle all my autodownload and file parsing (moving, renaming etc) and It downloads metadata into the directories as well. Then Plex Server scans everything by itself into it's own DB. There is a plugin to make PMS use that metadata, but I like to have the option of correcting the data inside the awesome Plex Web UI.

post #3 of 12 Old 12-15-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I prefer not to jailbreak an ATV or the like. The WD TV live was recommended by a friend... But another said I should get a Dune.

I'm not great at researching these products but it seems the difference between Dune HD 303D and the Dune HD 3D is the an extra USB connection and rca jacks on the 3D? that's not a big deal to me. In terms of player features they seem to be about the same?

I saw that the WD TV Live can now play 3D video but it says only "side by side" does that mean it doesn't work with the active glasses (which I think my Sony Bravia 55720NX requires?)

As I said, My main goal is to playback anything I download and the WD seems cheap and good (unless there's a reason not to get it that I don't know?)

But if the Dune is really better and might allow me to get more into 3D movies if I chose, the Dune HD 303D sounds like a good compromise.

Does that sound like the best choice given my objective?

About the metadata, I have a Mac so, i guess I can't use MCM.

I guess I can manually enter the metadata as I organize all the files so that it will be nicely organized and usable by multiple devices. But am I correct that you can't just type (or copy/past) in that metadata?

I found an app called iflicks but you have to export it to a new file? and I think it only outputs MP4. I also have mkv, avi, wmv, etc...

What is the most convenient way to set up the proper metadata for multiple file types on a Mac?

Thanks!

post #4 of 12 Old 12-15-2013, 04:53 PM

You dont need to Jailbreak the ATV for the PlexConnect to work, it just replaces the Trailer channel AFAIK.

Roku, GoogleTV and AppleTV3 all support streaming 3D material as long as the TV can process SBS files, which most do.

I´m not familiar with any specific Mac OS metadata scrapers, but PlexMediaServer does it superbly, although using it just for the metadata would be like having a Ferrari for going to the mall :) But tt was first designed for the Mac OS so it performs very well there and very easy to set up. The downside is that the metadata PMS downloads is only usable in Plex Clients, as PMS stored everything in its own database.

post #5 of 12 Old 12-16-2013, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, ok i see. but i saw that an apple update broke PMS at some point. Not a huge deal but might be inconvenient sometimes.

I'm kind of confused now. What would be any advantages of a Dune HD 303D over ATV with PMS (if there are any)? If I'm thinking of those, should I take the WD TV Live out of consideration?

I guess I want to purchase efficiently and get whatever is most flexible and can play anything...

oh, I've only used Plex to stream files from my mac to my tv via dlna. I plan to have my library on something like a drobo and don't want to require that my desktop be on. I see there is a plex app for drobo but if i had some other NAS that doesn't have a plex app, then using ATV with Plex wouldn't work, right?

Is a metadata scraper just something that gathers info from the imdb or whatever or does it allow you to correct or enter metadata into the actual file?

I guess if a file doesn't have metadata or incorrect metadata, there's nothing you can do?  at that point you would have to export it and enter it at that time?

Just wondering because it seems that it would be helpful so you could set it correctly in case you get a new device or whatever and wouldn't have to correct everything all over again?

but maybe I don't understand how it works?

Thanks!

post #6 of 12 Old 12-16-2013, 05:35 AM

If you want the most capable standalone player, I believe either the Dune or WD TV live are your choices. If you plan on going the Plex route, ATV og Roku. One of PMS's best features is the Transcoder. If the client/player doesn't support the format/codec, PMS transcodes the media, so in the end there are really, really few formats you'd have problems playing. 

But if you don't want to be dependant on a server platform, a good standalone player is what you should be looking at.

There are PMS packages available for QNAP, Synology, Drobo, asustor, netgear, and my personal favorite, unRAID. However you do need to buy a high-end model to support transcoding, unless you go with unRAID, then you can use cheap commodity hardware.

Yes, metadata scrapers gathers information from various sites, posters, plots, actors, ratings etc. The Plex Web GUI lets you correct and edit your metadata for each file with ease. The poster and fanart management is the best I've seen. If there is no metadata for your file you can basicly create your own with the Web GUI. I've done so many times with many of my less-known documentaries.

All Plex clients just read the metadata, dont write it. So if you change devices it wont matter, unless it's the server/NAS itself, and in that case you just copy the PMS database file from one to another.

post #7 of 12 Old 12-16-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Are you going to be using this dedicated media player in a Home Theater set up where HD audio might be needed?

If it is then Roku and / or Apple TV are out of the question because they do not do HD Audio (e.i. DTSMA / TrueHD). It appears that you are interested in 3D as well. In this case the Dune is out of the question. The best 3D media player at the moment is Mede8er. It also appears that you want to use a jukebox, which the Mede8er has, but in my opinion it isn't as good as the Dune jukeboxes.

WDTV just got an update, and it now supports HD sound bitstreaming. However, I don't believe that it supports 3D, and it can be slow at times. I used to have one, but it was too slow for my large library of movies / tv shows.

Another issues with media players is Forced Subtitle Support. The Mede8er doesn't support it. The only way you can get Forced Subs to work, is by either turning them on manually or only including the Forced Sub. track and leaving the subtitles option on all the time. Dune supports Forced subs if they are flagged, and you install a patch for it. However, this only works for MKV files.

Now, some people have mentioned Plex. I use Plex to stream movies to my family's iPads. It works well, and its jukebox is pretty awesome. I used to have a Sony GS7 media player, which supports Plex in the master bedroom. It worked well. Also, Plex recognized the flagged forced subtitle track from my ripped MKV movies, which was pretty awesome.

So, this is my set up:
1) Storage: Using a DIY UnRaid server with 15 TB or storage.
2) Media Players: Dune Smart Series D1 for the living room HT. In my opinion and experience Dune Smart Series is the best 2D media player there is.
3) For 3D movies: I use a PS3. You just can't beat a 3D Blu-ray player.
4) Online streaming: My TV is a smart TV and has Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, ETC, but I still use the PS3 for Netflix biggrin.gif

In my personal opinion: There isn't a DO IT ALL DEDICATED MEDIA PLAYER. If you want something that can do 2D, 3D and stream online services, I would recommend to get an HTPC.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #8 of 12 Old 12-17-2013, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the help!

I haven't owned one of these products before so, It's hard to figure out how exactly to word the questions. but this has been a big help!

I think the best point is that there isn't a "do it all player" I'm thinking of just going for the Dune HD 303D. Without having a chance to try them all, i get the feeling it's a good compromise between price & features...

I was almost thinking of going with the ATV/Plex because I have an iphone and figured it would be convenient for airplay but I know dune has iphone apps and assume it would have a way to stream phone content to the dune.

One thing that's becoming clearer but I still don't totally understand... is about the metadata.

naturally, i have files of all different types. When I set this up, i want to organize it nicely and have whatever device I'm using to be able to search by actor or view my library, etc...

I assumed that meant that I had to set the metadata properly. But I think it is impossible to enter or edit the metadata for a downloaded file. Is that correct?

I thought that any device like this would scan my disk and find the titles and show them in some kind of library. Wouldn't the Dune do that?

I understand the steps that hemmiandra (thanks!) describes for correcting the data in the plex web gui. But wouldn't that then only usable by plex clients? How can I do the same thing so that the Dune can view it?

My thoughts (without really understanding how this works) was that if you could set the metadata correctly in the file itself, you could just connect with any player or device and it would get the proper info.

It isn't a problem for me to correct the info in plex but is there some kind of library database which is readable by any device? I guess I'm trying to understand the best practice for organizing the library so that later, if I change players, I won't have to go through and manually correct all that data all over again...

Thanks again!

post #9 of 12 Old 12-17-2013, 05:57 PM

Liked: 11
Metadata isnt pulled from the file.. The program looks at the file name and then goes out to the imdb to find a best match and give you all the info parsed from the imdb listing. Each device has its own way of storing that info but there are no modifications done by any of them to the file itself. so essentially you will need to have each device do its own scans and correct what is wrong. Proper file naming is the best way to make sure you have the least amount of incorrect metadata hits.

This is from plex' recommended movie naming guide. This shows directory structure of a movies folder with a folder for each movie with the movie file in it or a moveis folder with a bunch of movie files inside it. Always label movies with exact movie name and date as shown for best metadata searches,

/Movies
/Avatar (2009)
/Batman Begins (2005)
Batman Begins (2005).mp4

or

/Movies
Batman Begins (2005).mp4
post #10 of 12 Old 12-18-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeski View Post

I assumed that meant that I had to set the metadata properly. But I think it is impossible to enter or edit the metadata for a downloaded file. Is that correct?
I thought that any device like this would scan my disk and find the titles and show them in some kind of library. Wouldn't the Dune do that?
Thanks again!

Dune has a tool name Yadis for scrape metadata in PC - my favorite. It will export the images and text ( Dune's parameter), so you can't edit anything directly on the Dune player.
Like Techphil said, you should rename movie downloaded
post #11 of 12 Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I use Zappiti, Yadis and 10Muse + iPad app. Out of the 3, I like 10muse best biggrin.gif

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #12 of 12 Old 12-19-2013, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I understand now.

I had googled and seen something like iflicks for mac that let you enter metadata so, I assumed it was in the file.

I was hoping that I could set it up in a way that I wouldn't have to re-do everything if I got rid of the dune and got another device. But I guess that's the only way.

Thanks for clarifying!!

I did a quick search and it seems there are no scrapers for the dune and Mac OS :-(

thanks again!!

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Tv303d Wifi 3d Streamer
Gear in this thread - Tv303d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page