Help with the Home network setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-17-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have a PC, a yamaha 4065, a TV, and a 5.1 speaker system.
I hope I can play the movies (.mkv .mp4 .avi) and music (FLAC) stored in my PC on the TV/ stereo.

I wonder if my thought is correct, I'm thinking connecting the PC to Yamaha 4065 wirelessly, so that I can stream my music/video to yamaha. And my yamaha would output the music/video to the TV/stereo.

I've found how to steam the FLAC files to Yamaha wirelessly. But it seems that the best solution to play videos would be get a HDMI connection to the PC, or use a blueray player as an intermediate interface between my PC and Yamaha.

Is there any way that I can stream the video (.mkv .mp4 .avi) from my PC directly and wirelessly to the Yamaha, so that the video would be played on TV with the speaker system?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-17-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 78
You need one more piece to add to your setup -- a media streamer. Your receiver can access music files but that is it. For video you need something like the WD SMP or one of many other choices out there. What ever unit you end up with will also stream music too, odds are in a more user friendly way than your receiver. One other note do not plan on streaming Hd video wirelessly unless you are a few feet from your computer. for anything other than basic SD video a hard wire connection is the only dependable solution.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-17-2013, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

You need one more piece to add to your setup -- a media streamer. Your receiver can access music files but that is it. For video you need something like the WD SMP or one of many other choices out there. What ever unit you end up with will also stream music too, odds are in a more user friendly way than your receiver. One other note do not plan on streaming Hd video wirelessly unless you are a few feet from your computer. for anything other than basic SD video a hard wire connection is the only dependable solution.

Thanks for your help. I have a few questions from your answer, i guess HD videos should better with wire connection. However, should I connect my PC to the streamer, then to the AVR or what? I may need to search a practical streamer that's not too expensive and able to play the Hd formats in windows. Also, the last part, "a hard wire connection", is HDMI or ethernet you are talking about? I'm sorry that I'm asking so many questions
post #4 of 7 Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you have a few thing mixed up. The streamer does not play videos in windows, any number of programs including Media Player can do that. The media streamer plays the content on your TV. It connects via Ethernet cable or wireless to your router then to your AVR or TV via HDMI

As I mentioned the WD SMP is one of the top inexpensive media streamers. In the $40 to $80 range depending on used ebay or new on New Egg. It will work wired or wireless. You can also connect a portable hard drive to it or a usb drive. It will either play content directly from your shared windows folders, my preference, or use a DNLA client of which there are many free and paid. I personally avoid DNLA as I feel it adds another layer to the process and is only useful if you are streaming to a tablet or phone where transcodeing is needed. There is a massive thread dedicated to the WD unit and all the options available with it. You can add movie sheets and such but I don't find a need for that as I know what I want to watch and simply use the WD to select the file and play it.

Ther are a number of other media player options, all considerably more expensive. Plus with various software such as Playon or Plex the Roku boxes can play local content, but to me a more kludged up method. I use both the WD and the Rokus, but at this point if I was doing it I'd opt for the Wd over the Roku as I use very few of the hundreds of channels it offers, recently the Wd has new firmware adding more channels to it making it more attractive.
Lucius00 likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-18-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think you have a few thing mixed up. The streamer does not play videos in windows, any number of programs including Media Player can do that. The media streamer plays the content on your TV. It connects via Ethernet cable or wireless to your router then to your AVR or TV via HDMI

So, per my understanding, I can connect the steamer wirelessly to the router/PC, and at the other end, it can output signal to my AVR/TV with a HDMI. It sounds amazing. I'll have to look up if it can decode FLAC files. Once again, Thanks a lot

I just placed an order WD TV Live Media Player Wi-fi 1080p on amazon, can't wait to get it soon. It sounds too good to be true! So, last question, can i connect my AVR to the network via this streamer?
post #6 of 7 Old 12-18-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

No, the WD is not a network access point. When you connect the Wd to your network and then connect it to an input on your AVR via HDMI it will play any and all content - music and video rendering your AVR network connection moot. I have not used my receiver's network connection since I added Roku and Wd to my system.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-28-2013, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, the WD is not a network access point. When you connect the Wd to your network and then connect it to an input on your AVR via HDMI it will play any and all content - music and video rendering your AVR network connection moot. I have not used my receiver's network connection since I added Roku and Wd to my system.

Thanks, I've received the WD live,but I just found that it cannot play one H264.mkv file in 1080p with a LG 55LN5200. For some reason, WD auto shutdown itself and reset the mode to the lowest level. I searched a little bit and it looks like some situation discussed here:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1820605

I watched several 720p movies and I didn't notice if they were played under 720p mode or 1080p mode. I'll try to watch another movie with 1080p and I'll find out if this file is the only one that WD is having problem with.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Yamaha Htr 4065 5 1 Channel 575 Watt Av Receiver With Apple Airplay

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page