how to bypass a router with high security - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 01-04-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes you could use two routers but why? First you end up with a "Double NAT" situation which provides no benefits and adds configuration issues.

If you are going to have to purchase another router just get one the supports multiple zones and discard the existing router.

But first it should be determined if the existing router supports multiples zones. If it does then setup the second "game friendly" zone and your done.

I should also mention that using a MAC list provides little security - it is easily bypassed.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 01-04-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

I should also mention that using a MAC list provides little security - it is easily bypassed.

Another easily bypassed option is hiding of SSIDs. I don't waste time with either one of these steps.
post #33 of 36 Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleDrone View Post

Another easily bypassed option is hiding of SSIDs. I don't waste time with either one of these steps.

Quote:

Hence, I suggested to disable wifi of the secondary router all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Yes you could use two routers but why? First you end up with a "Double NAT" situation which provides no benefits and adds configuration issues.

Cascading routers is a common thing to do (particularly in offices) and there are 2 general ways to do it: LAN-LAN and LAN-WAN. The LAN-WAN is what I suggested as it allows him to manage both routers separately. That is, you can set each router's features, firewall, ports, etc. specifically for the network use, which I think what the OP wants so he can play Xbox online, etc. in one network and secure the other. I've done this many times at work and at home - I've done this for my tenant so that we have separate networks and they never complain about being able to torrent and stuff. So, double nat situation was non-issue.

post #34 of 36 Old 01-04-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes you can cascade routers but why?

If you connect the WAN port of the second router to a LAN port of the first, the second network inherits the security settings of the first and that may not be desirable. Plus you take a performance hit.

With a router that supports multiple zones each zone is independent of the other, the security settings can be set exactly as needed without any worry about impacting the other network.

And the LAN1 to LAN2 security settings can be set as needed independent of the LANx to WAN security settings.

In all my years I have never encountered a case where cascading routers was the best approach.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #35 of 36 Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Yes you can cascade routers but why?

If you connect the WAN port of the second router to a LAN port of the first, the second network inherits the security settings of the first and that may not be desirable. Plus you take a performance hit.

With a router that supports multiple zones each zone is independent of the other, the security settings can be set exactly as needed without any worry about impacting the other network.

And the LAN1 to LAN2 security settings can be set as needed independent of the LANx to WAN security settings.

In all my years I have never encountered a case where cascading routers was the best approach.

Didn't say it was the best approach, but one of many options. To your other point, the second router more like extends (or layers on top of the first to be pedantic) the first one's security settings not just inherit it, which is ideal. To get around that, designating the second router as a DMZ within the first router will allow it to bypass the first router's firewall so that the second router has total control of its own security.

In addition, depending on use, network performance can be improved actually because there are essentially 2 subnets. E.g. if his mom's computer is doing a regular backup to a NAS (both within the second subnet), his video streaming from his media server to his Xbox or whatever (within the first subnet) does not get affected. 

As I said earlier, the first router can be as open as he needed it to be for his use, then have the second one as secure as possible for his mom's use. I doubt his current router has the ability of multiple zones with their own dedicated security settings (most ISP's doesn't provide such router and he, the OP, probably didn't buy one as he didn't need/know of such feature). Furthermore, buying one with those capabilities is more expensive than getting a typical router as a secondary one. Anyway, that's just a suggestion.

post #36 of 36 Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
what router is she using?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page