Storing Blu-ray Rips - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

How does everyone store their Blu-ray rips? What do people find is the cheapest storage solution? 

I am currently looking at ways to store my 400-500 Blu-ray rips (approx 16TB). I have looked at using a NAS and then buying the individual hard drives but they seem extremely expensive. The cheapest option I have found is buying 4 x 4TB USB 3.0 External HD's priced at £130 each. The USB 3.0 interface (though I could use 2.0) would be more than fast enough to handle the bitstream of the rips. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What do you mean by rips? Re-encodes to make them smaller or just remuxed to MKV keeping same quality? How knowledeable are you in computers / operating systems and how comfortable are you with do it yourself projects?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hi watchy. Only the main title video, HD audio and necessary forced subtitles are remuxed to MKV. Files are about 25GB each. I am fairly knowledgeable on computers (Macs mostly) and would be comfortable with a DIY project.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Those are huge files for rips, you should look at downsizing them to rips where the bit rate is about 10,000Mbps anything more then that and you won't notice the difference. Are these rips from movies you own? Do you care if you lose the files?

You can certainly go with the USB drive solution, however unless you have these rips backed up, you will lose whatever is on each USB drive when it dies. Also, depending on what media streaming device you are using, you'll only have access to what is on each drive when it is attached to a computer or streaming device via USB.

A NAS, while expensive, offers several advantages, firstly you get redundant storage, this is not to be confused as a 'backup' but simply storage with protection from at least one drive failure. A four bay Synology NAS with 4x4TB drives would give you just over 10TB of useable space when configured in RAID 5, you can plug it into a network and access the files over the network. This is what I do for the movies and tv shows in my collection, I have several NAS's actually of varying sizes and capacities. A NAS can also double as a network backup for other data, a time machine backup repository and the list goes on. As you have found out, a NAS solution is not cheap, but the advantages it offers make the investment worthwhile IMO and protect your data to a degree.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply ash_man. Even though I do own discs of all of the Blu-rays I would prefer to keep the video quality as it is. The plan was to plug the USB external hard drives into a Time Capsule attached to my home network so files would be readily accessibly and then use older external hard drives to back these up. Your suggestion to use RAID 5 sounds very attractive and I have managed to find a relatively cheap RAID kit http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/M3QX2KIT0GB/ which would work out approximately £210 with shipping (no drives). 4TB hard drives seem to be available at around £130 each. With RAID 5, am I correct in thinking that I won't lose any data if one of the drive fails and that if one does I can simply insert a new one and it will restore itself?

Old 01-02-2014, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes you are correct, if one drive fails nothing would happen, you would not lose any data, however should a second drive fail before you replace the first failed drive, you would lose everything which is why backups are important, RAID is no substitute for backups. With one failed drive, you would simply replace it with the same capacity drive, preferably same make/model and it will rebuild the array automatically although it could take a day or two to do so, you should still be able to access your data during the rebuild.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have used a six disk RAID6 implementation that gave me nearly 11Tb free space for flac files and MKV Blu Ray rips. I have run out of disk space so I am building a home-brew ZFS file server using FreeNAS (freeBSD ZFS server) to replace it. I will be buying a Supermicro 24 bay server chassis with Xeon processor and 32 Gb of RAM. It will not be cheap, but I will be reusing the 3Tb disks from my 2 backup ZFS partitions. raid3z and FreeNAS seems a great way to go if you are familiar with ZFS and unix command line.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:41 AM

Check out http://lime-technology.com/

You can build your own system if you like.