Need help using Actiontec MOCA adapter with Comcast while trying to hardwire PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-01-2014, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I unfortunately have Comcast Xfinity, and the cable modem (which functions as a wireless router as well) sucks. One of their techs came out and basically told me that the model Comcast uses sucks, and he advised me to connect my old Belkin wireless router, which I did while getting slightly better results. My PS3 is in the basement, and the signal does not extend to the point where I can do anything online. I just got the Actiontec (Model ECB2500C) MOCA adapter dual pack and set it up as follows...

Main level...Coax from wall.....Actiontec Splitter.....Cable Modem and MOCA adapter (running a coax cable into both units from the splitter)....
Ethernet cable from MOCA adapter into Belkin router

Basement...Coax from wall....MOCA adapter....Comcast HD-DVR
Ethernet cable from MOCA adapter into PS3

Now, according to Actiontec phone support, I have everything set up correctly. My cable down in the basement is broadcasting in HD with no discernible difference, but my PS3 is barely showing any improvement now that it is hardwired. I theoretically should be getting anywhere from 35-50 mbps as a download speed when hardwired, yet my PS3 is now showing only 16 as a download speed. Now, when I unplug the ethernet and go wireless again, the signal decreases to 11. Still, I can get a 16 download speed using my laptop wirelessly in the basement (which still sucks obviously, but I was hoping to be able to attach a booster via the ethernet out of the MOCA in the basement), and I certainly feel like I should be getting way better speeds through the PS3 now that it is connected via ethernet.

Any suggestions or thoughts about what I might be doing wrong here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-12-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Bump for anyone who missed it and might be able to help. Still having same issues.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-22-2014, 12:22 PM

Liked: 10

From what I understand, using a splitter decreases the signal strength by half.  You may want to look at getting a signal booster to increase the strength from the coax.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Playstation 3 80gb System