DLNA DTS HD/True HD Streaming. How? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been researching this and have hit a brick wall of confusion.

Right now I use Universal Media Server (much like PS3 Media Server) to stream to my PS3. I get DTS and AC3 audio just fine as the UMS encapsulates the DTS streams into LPCM 2.0 to trick the PS3, but once it hits my Denon 591 it gets decoded properly as DTS. I would like to get it to decode the DTS-HD stream as well though.

My question is:

If I get something like the WD TV Live (Which with the most current update seems to passthrough DTS HD and TrueHD) would that solve my problem since it has passthrough of the DTS HD unlike the PS3? Would Universal Media Server know that it didn't need to wrap it up in LPCM at that point or would it matter?

Thank you so much for any insight, as I'm completely confused at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 330
I don't know anything about UMS. I use Mezzmo as the DLNA server and tell it not to transcode or modify anything. I use the DLNA client on the Live-SMP to stream all my BD.m2ts rips which have DTS-HD or TrueHD audio. The Live-SMP bitstreams the HD audio into my Onkyo receiver and plays perfectly.

The Live-SMP should communicate with the DLNA server and tell it that it doesn't need to transcode because the Live-SMP handles the format natively. But just in case, look into the settings of UMS and find if you can turn off transcoding. The Live-SMP is a much better streaming device than a PS3 and only costs under $100.
totalkonfuzion likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply. I will go out and grab one tonight and give it a go. I know I can turn off transcoding all together, but I have other renderers to stream to do I'm hoping it will automatically figure it out.

Would the WD Live stream from a simple file share as well, or would I need something DLNA compliant?
post #4 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

You can buy the Live-SMP from Amazon for $86.50. If you want to pick one up locally, print the Amazon page and go to BestBuy. They will price match Amazon.com prices.

With Mezzmo, I can control the transcoding at the device level. So for example, I have transcoding turned off for my WD Live's and have it on for my really stupid "Smart-TV". See if UMS offers that capability. BTW, Mezzmo is well worth the $35 they charge for it. I don't hesitate at all to recommend it.

The WD Live does not need DLNA. It is perfectly capable of streaming from network shares as long as you have the bandwidth on your network connection. It handles Windows SMB shares and Linux NFS shares. If you use network shares you can play more formats that are not supported by DLNA such as DVD.iso. You also can use the UI to scrape for title meta data and build a movie wall. I only use DLNA because my network beandwidth is at the ragged edge for streaming full bitrate BD.m2ts. DLNA has very low protocol overhead compared to SMB so I can play all my BD.m2ts without stuttering using DLNA. If my bandwidth were better, I would use SMB for BD rips and not DLNA with the Live-SMP. On my other NAS units I have >600 DVD.iso. There is no problem streaming lower bitrate DVD's over SMB on my network so I use SMB shares with the Live-SMP to stream DVD's.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

So I'm thinking I can at last resort keep UMS to stream to my other devices and use smb to stream to the WD?

This device is sounding too cool already. I'm hoping UMS doesn't do anything weird as I do enjoy it so far.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
There is a WDTV conf file in UMS already. You may have to modify it slightly to get it to stream depending on what file type you have.
I have an old WDTV+ that will pass thru the dts-ma bitstream. I've got my files in mp4 containers, and the UMS automatically remuxes into a container the WDTV will take. Works great!
post #7 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, but actually try SMB as your first resort.

With the latest firmware update that added DTS-HD passthrough, nothing touches the WD Live-SMP in the under $200 price range. The main thread is here.

- kelson h

post #8 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

So do smb first and then DLNA, because I can do isos via smb, but not UMS using DLNA correct? Then I wouldn't have to worry about transcoding and what not?
post #9 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Okay,

So i have it setup and updated and I'm streaming via the share just fine! OMG..this thing plays everything with DTS MA..True HD...

I'm in love and also, you guys ARE AWESOME! smile.gif

I think I'll keep the UMS up for streaming to my kids Xbox unless I decide to get another one of these instead, because this is fantastic! Are there any downsides to setting it up to use the media server instead of the network share?
post #10 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkonfuzion View Post

I think I'll keep the UMS up for streaming to my kids Xbox unless I decide to get another one of these instead, because this is fantastic! Are there any downsides to setting it up to use the media server instead of the network share?

Glad you like it and it is working out for you. I personally find it a great convenience to use multiple streamers of the same model. That way all the boxes work the same and you only have to determine the best file format for your rips one time. The Live-SMP has been around for two years. WD has continued to support it and has released an amazing 16 firmware updates, so far. The last one from 12/13 was the jackpot in that it added DTS-HD support and completed the unit.

As far as the Live-SMP is concerned there is no either-or when it comes to DLNA vs. network shares -- they are both valid sources that you can pick. I have two NAS units and a media-PC/server. When we watch DVD.iso we connect to the NAS units via SMB Network Shares. When we watch BD.m2ts we connect to the media-PC as a Media Server using DLNA. I have one in the exercise area that is not networked so for that one I load the "exercise videos" onto a portable USB-3 drive and just plug it in and connect to Local Storage.

I guess the only down-side is that when using DLNA and a Media Server connection, you cannot use the Live-SMP UI to build a video wall -- you need to use either Network Shares or Local Storage. That doesn't matter to me since I prefer the simplicity of a clean file listing. On the other hand, the upside of DLNA is that the DLNA server aggregates all the titles across multiple discrete HDD's into a single listing. My media-PC has 6 discrete HDD's containing BD.m2ts files. With DLNA they appear as a single listing and I don't have to care what disk they are on. Of course, one can always use drive aggregation software on a media server to group all the HDD's into a single logical volume and accomplish the same thing. So no real advantage either way, just multiple ways of doing what you want.

- kelson h

post #11 of 18 Old 01-06-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

So far I've setup one WD TV Live in my living room area and am enjoying it thoroughly. I can't believe it took me so long to find this device. I am still running the Universal Media Server so that I can transcode to my son's Xbox and my daughter's Sony streaming device. I will attemp to phase them out as I come across good deals on the WD TV.

I may even be able to get away with a few WD TV Plays as I don't need Mpeg support in a lot of the rooms, nor surround sound. Does the Play still connect to SMB shares like the :Live?
post #12 of 18 Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
No, it's a stripped down version of the Live: no mpeg2, no DTS, no SMB.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #13 of 18 Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will attemp to phase them out as I come across good deals on the WD TV.
As noted by techflaws, don't consider the WD TV Play. A number of people on the WDTV Live thread have recently reported buying "refurbished" Live-SMP's for reduced prices -- see here. These are probably just customer returns. There is not much that can go wrong with these as there are no moving parts in the box and the power supply is external and easily replaceable should it fail.

You should start to monitor that thread.

- kelson h

post #14 of 18 Old 01-07-2014, 07:55 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

The WD Live does not need DLNA. It is perfectly capable of streaming from network shares as long as you have the bandwidth on your network connection. It handles Windows SMB shares and Linux NFS shares. If you use network shares you can play more formats that are not supported by DLNA such as DVD.iso. You also can use the UI to scrape for title meta data and build a movie wall. I only use DLNA because my network beandwidth is at the ragged edge for streaming full bitrate BD.m2ts.

I happen to already have a WDTV-Live-SMP. I have some .mkv rips that include HD-MA, that I play through MediaBrowser on my HTPC. And I've been looking for a solution to stream them to another room in the house. It sounds like the WDTV-Live-SMP is my answer?

Is there a MediaBrowser app on the Live? Or what are you using on the WDTV to access/play the files?
post #15 of 18 Old 01-07-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

@PsuKinger

There is a media browser. You just share out your directory and go fetch it with the Live SMP. It works beautifully.
psuKinger likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

@PsuKinger

There is a media browser. You just share out your directory and go fetch it with the Live SMP. It works beautifully.

This is awesome.

Do I just need to set the folder on the PC to *share*, or do I need to tell the WDTV where to look for it somewhere in some settings menu...?
post #17 of 18 Old 01-07-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

You will have to add the directory via the WD Live under the appropriate media type section.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-13-2014, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know if this is the appropriate place for this question but I am trying to bitstream DTS-HD-MA on my network and nothing I have will seem to do it. I have a Synology NAS running Plex and any DTS-HD-MA movie is streamed as core DTS. I tried hooking up my laptop to my receiver via HDMI and playing the video through VLC and it too is playing core DTS.

Ideally I'd like to get this streaming off my NAS correctly through the network. Is this possible?

So I said, "Hey! Lama! How 'bout a little something, ya know, for the effort?"

Setup:
Yamaha RX-Z7
Polk Monitor 70s, CS2. FXiA6s, Monitor 30s
Samsung UN55C6800

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player , Denon Avr 591 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page