DLNA, DTCP-IP and PC Playback (Panasonic HWT-230) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-04-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

We've got 2 Panasonic HWT-230s ("Smart" Freeview+ HD PVRs). They act as both DLNA Clients and Servers.

This means you can access all the recorded shows on the boxes, on my computer (in Windows 8 I just go to My Computer, and it's under "Network Locations" and I can browse it as if it were a NAS). This works perfectly for all SD-content. I just double click the files from Windows Explorer and Media Player Classic (from K-Lite codec pack) or VLC will start streaming them. I can also download these recorded programmes as well - there doesn't seem to be any form of protection. The problem is with HD content. On the box's interface there is a little flag next to all this content which, according to the manual, means it's got "DTCP-IP" copy protection, so may not be able to be streamed over the network via DLNA. 

You're also (meant to) be able to watch Live TV streams via the same method for watching recorded programmes - there's a folder called "Live TV" and every TV channel there appears as a file. Unfortunately these also seem to have the same limitations as the HD content does.

From what I understand, this protected content can be played back on PS3s and on other DTCP-IP certified devices (e.g. the two boxes can play the protected content off one another). The problem is I want it on my PC :(

Windows Media Centre is meant to be able to play this stuff back, but I'm running 8.1 Pro, without the media centre addon pack. I tried a Windows 7 VM and had enough issues trying to get it on the "proper" network but once that was working and it was acting like a physical machine I opened Windows Media Centre. It could see our network drive and other PCs but couldn't see either of the boxes. I'm not sure if this is down to it being a VM - perhaps there's some weird forwarding or something that's not taking place for DLNA.

I found out Panasonic had got DTCP-IP in "SoftDMA 2" and "PowerDVD 13 Ultra". I downloaded the trial and installed it (on the 'real' computer, 8.1 Pro). It picked up the Panasonic boxes fine, and once I'd got to the recorded programmes folder, there were padlock icons on the thumbnails of the protected ones. When I tried to play it, I was told I couldn't do this in trial mode :mad:The programs £50+ so can anyone confirm if it actually works. I found a thread on another website and someone who'd paid for it had said it come up with an error about activating the protected content online, so I just want to check that this software actually works?

There seems to be enough problems getting this to playback in the first place, so I'm guessing the answer to my next question is a definite no, but once I do get it playing in WMC or PowerDVD or whatever, is there anyway to dump/rip the file? It seems extremely unlikely because half the point of the DTCP-IP stuff is to make sure the client device is secure. The person who was having problems with activating the protected content on PowerDVD that I mentioned earlier said it was something to do with his notebook's display not being verified.

If anyone's got any solutions please let me know! (and sorry for the essay).

On another note - the SiliconDust HDHomeRun things... at first I thought they were similar to what our panasonic boxes do - capture TV and stream it over the network via DLNA. But then I read the Windows Media Centre setup instructions for one of them, and it actually involved configuring it as a tuner, rather than just streaming the files. But then how do devices like PS3s access the HDHomeRun? I'm guessing it does both methods - the DLNA streaming and the PC-Tuner thing. If what I've just said is right, surely that's unnecessary IF WMC can access it over DLNA anyway?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-14-2014, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey Joe

I have a couple question, but im following you about this issue because, in my case I found the files dtcp IN THE VIDEO RECORDING, I mean, the system where show the television, have a hard disc but I didn’t try several actions as you, but I have “some” idea ( you have more experience as me ) let me know:

Did you try to convert any dtcp file to another format ?

( let me give you any suggestion: FORMATFACTORY )

You can find it in :

http://download.cnet.com/FormatFactory/3000-2194_4-10968547.html

nothing better and powerful

the issue is try to block or lost all the issue related to RIGHTS

I found the first problem on rights

And please confirm me

You can copy, move the files to your pc ?

Let me know

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Silicondust Hdhr3 Cc Hdhomerun Prime Cablecard Tv Tuners