HDI Dune booth CES 2014 Anyone there? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 01-07-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm hoping some is at CES and checking the Dune booth. Just wondering if anyone has heard/seen anything on what the hack n sack Dune is doing this year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-08-2014, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like no new Dune players were show at CES. Seems there wont be any new players until next gen 4k chips are available.
post #3 of 47 Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not a zilch in support with firmware in 9 months and still counting.
It looks like the media player business doesnt matter to them anymore.
They are saying fixes are coming for the Base Hd 3D but they have been saying that for 6 months.
They have dropped the ball bigtime.
If they cant fix the fairly new 3Dplayer what hope is there for a new model
Dune are dying a slow death but at their own hands.
I was a Dune diehard but not anymore.
CES they promise alot but usually lately dont deliver
I have been talking on facebook to them but no joy.
They are just upsetting their client base

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #4 of 47 Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I said Dune was dead in the media player business on another thread. Unless they come out with something world changing, I will never buy a Dune again. Bluray ISOs are dead because the further we go into the future, I can't play them on new players with menus. I have no need to keep them in ISO format if I can't use menus. I've decided to switch to Plex. I just remux all my bds and keep all english audio and english subs. Plex offers an interface that Dune will never be able to match and a $79 Roku3 with Plex will stream my remuxed MKVs as well as a $400 Dune with the addition of unwatched/recently watched/partialy watched etc.

I'll miss you Dune, but you suck now.
post #5 of 47 Old 01-09-2014, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Yep dying by their own hand

post #6 of 47 Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I hate so say this, but I think the whole "dedicated media player market" is dying. Specially when you have software / program like Plex. I use Plex to stream to my wireless devices. I'm also in the process of building a new server to be dedicated for Plex only. So, my whole family can access it from anywhere.

I'm still using my Dune Smart Series D1 in my living room. I've been pondering about selling it and buying a Haswell NUC, but I'm not sure if I want to do that yet. Hell, I even bought a 3D Bluray player just for 3D since there isn't a 100% reliable media player.

Now, it appears that PCH is having issues selling their devices in the USA as well.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #7 of 47 Old 01-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Hi gusGus

I dont use a network just hdd's in media players.
I canned my himedia awhile back but still use a base 3.0 and max for full bluray playback and the HD3D for 3D
Very disappointed now with dune but leaving my options open to the future without dune

post #8 of 47 Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

They will have to pry my Base and D1 from my dead hands before i give it up lol. Part of me thinks/hoping HDI is waiting for Sigmas new chips that will play 4k content(sigma waiting for specs to be finalized). Part of me is scared Sigma and HDI will go This isn't worth it anymore game over.

GusGus what format do you have your Blu ray and dvds in? I don't remember how you stream to your tv from Plex
post #9 of 47 Old 01-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Things like the Dune are definitely on their way out.

DLNA players are in pretty much everything these days and are good enough for the vast majority so there is little need to buy a dedicated box.

Internet media streaming services are the main draw in buying a dedicated box and Sigma linux platforms don't do those well and have trouble attracting services. Sigma's new Arm 4K chip can run Android which might see something use it but there are faster and just as capable video decoding chipsets already in the Arm/Android ecosystem.

I'd say the Lenovo Beacon announced at CES was the most promising thing for Dune fans, it is a $199 mini PC with dual HDD bays that runs linux XBMC out of the box (like openelec), no OS install required all ready to go. Plus Lenovo throw in a media sync app for your tablet/phones so you can back up your content to the Beacon.
post #10 of 47 Old 01-09-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The only thing keeping the stand alone market alive is HD audio none of the cheap devices still handle HD audio.
Phrehdd likes this.
post #11 of 47 Old 01-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Dune is not supporting their products and this is helping with upsetting their customers no end.
They are shooting themselves in the foot.
Their flagship mediaplayer hasnt had a firmware update in 9 months and no info on when one might be coming.
They have been saying for 6 months its coming.
The base 3D has some major issues to be fixed
They said 1st of all the on/off issue where you cant turn the unit back on via remote and have to hard power off was hardware issue.
Then they said its software.
Nothing has been done and my unit suffers this
There is many other things need fixing too
Why in the hell do they say" OUR TECH TEAM ARE WORKING ON IT" and 9 months later still nothing
Are their tech staff amatuers or arent they even bothering, just keeping selling stock and not fixing things
Surely they could put out interim firmware updates just to fix what can be in a reasonable time.
I have become angry,disillussioned with their incompetence and have offered their tech team a learners manual.
Really peaved now
I will be commenting, counting the months waiting on a firmware update
April 30th 2013 was when version B6 came out

post #12 of 47 Old 01-09-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

The only thing keeping the stand alone market alive is HD audio none of the cheap devices still handle HD audio.

That and Cinavia.
post #13 of 47 Old 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Just found this out about the Base 3D

Hi Guys have some news from my Dune supplier here.Dune has just responded to them saying the ON/OFF problem where the unit cant be turned back on via the remote after being switched off by the remote but has to be hard switched off from the back.Dune have said its now hardware problem and all future Base 3D players will be fixed.If you get one now and its not new stock then you probably will have the issue.
This is bad as Dune hasnt made any statement to this and keeping everyone in the dark.They said first of all it was hardware issue then later said it was a software issue and now the truth is out.
I was hoping it would be fixed via software/firmware update as they stated.
Even more unimpressed how they have covered this up.
Bugga you Dune

post #14 of 47 Old 01-09-2014, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Wdtv SMP does HD audio with the latest update.
post #15 of 47 Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidz View Post

Both? truehd and dts-hd thought it was only dts-hd it got?
post #16 of 47 Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidz View Post

Both? truehd and dts-hd thought it was only dts-hd it got?

It always could do TrueHD and with the latest update it does DTS-MA as well.
post #17 of 47 Old 01-10-2014, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denass View Post

Just found this out about the Base 3D

Hi Guys have some news from my Dune supplier here.Dune has just responded to them saying the ON/OFF problem where the unit cant be turned back on via the remote after being switched off by the remote but has to be hard switched off from the back.Dune have said its now hardware problem and all future Base 3D players will be fixed.If you get one now and its not new stock then you probably will have the issue.
This is bad as Dune hasnt made any statement to this and keeping everyone in the dark.They said first of all it was hardware issue then later said it was a software issue and now the truth is out.
I was hoping it would be fixed via software/firmware update as they stated.
Even more unimpressed how they have covered this up.
Bugga you Dune

So will there be an option to return it for one that works or are they sticking it to the dealers?
post #18 of 47 Old 01-10-2014, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm in the ces and went for a tour on the show floor yesterday. Just passed by the dune booth : nothing to see there, open area with all the dunes we know on display but with just a tv with a base 3d running. Seems they are here just to say "we're alive". TV 202, base 3d, Connect and that's pretty all. I didn't even try to spoke with them.

I already said it and I repeat it again : they are out if the retail market and they don't care about their user base.

Are you reading Dune HDI ? Then prove me I'm wrong...
post #19 of 47 Old 01-10-2014, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Mr. Eric
Dune are alienating their customer base how they are not even communicating.
This ON/OFF problem that they knew of and make no comment hiding it is very bad.But I suppose if huge amounts of players being returned could ruin them.
I have been very peaved at their attitude to us customers regarding support.But what I found out today could come back to bite them bigtime.
I have modified mine for better cooling so warrantee is out.
Dune have been at their worst over the last 12 months and a shame.They are going to need a miracle to save them over the next 12 months or become proactive to their customers and be genuine.
Its a shame really as I do like the dunes.

post #20 of 47 Old 01-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

If the on/off problem is confirmed that would be a massive issue for them at least in Europe where it would be considered as an hidden defect which gives any consumer the right to return the product for exchange or refund, even if out of warranty. This is the law here...
post #21 of 47 Old 01-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

This is the same in Australia.
The message from Dune about it being a hardware issue came in from Dune directlty to Their main supplier here so I take it as being right.But getting Dune to publicly say anything might be difficult as the outcome could be bad for their company.
I would suggest anyone concerned contact their major supplier of dune in their country to confirm if they want the issue fixed.
I have kept the copy of the email myself.
I am very happy the dealer told me as it shows this company is honest and has integrity and will be recommending them to my old customers and anyone asking.This type of company is gold this day and age and also sells Mede8er.I have alot of people looking at going down that road of getting a media player.Just yesterday had 2 guys installing a airconditioner and they wanted to see 3D on a projector.Both were in jaw dropping awe.So they are going down that track too.
I hope Dune do the right thing this year and become

1 More open and comunicative

2 Get fixes out for firmware pronto

They could turn things around if they just were more customer oriented

The CEO of Dune Konstantin Dyshlevoy has given lip service saying what they are doing and hope to do but hasnt followed up and done what he said he would OR SHOULD DO TO SAVE HIS COMPANY--I think he is the issue

post #22 of 47 Old 01-11-2014, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nothing new was on display but the guys over at duneplayer (resellers) said we could possibly see something late 2014. Sigma is working on a 4k chip

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/sigma-designs-demonstrates-4k-ultra-hd-at-ces-nasdaq-sigm-1866524.htm
post #23 of 47 Old 01-11-2014, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dune says that every year. Something might be comming later. I will probably go the Intel Nuc road wih XBMC
post #24 of 47 Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I hate to say this, but I don't think Dune is coming out with anything amazing any time soon. I'm just glad that my Dune D1 still working without issues. I won't be buying anymore dedicated media players. I'm thinking of going with an Intel NUC + Plex.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #25 of 47 Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

+1 with both of you. I will certainly go to NUC + openelec for my next player (i.e. when my D1 will die, so I hope in a few years...)
post #26 of 47 Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
From the Sigma press release:
Quote:
Sigma's Ultra HD TV Chipset uses only two chips, the SX6 UHD TV Application Processor and the FRCX Video Processor, to build a high performance and cost effective 120-Hz UltraHD TV that will be shown at Sigma Designs Suite 2990 at the Las Vegas Hotel.
It appears to me that this chipset is targeting the TV itself, and not a disc or media player. The chips are meant to drive the video display, and not necessarily drive an HDMI 2.0 output. I don't believe it is something that Dune or other media-player manufacturers can use.

Until there is a clear source for 4K content and the HDMI 2.0 spec is solid, I don't believe there will be a 4K media player. For traditional HD content, the display devices themselves will upscale, as this Sigma chipset does.
post #27 of 47 Old 01-11-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

With Sony and other studios going exclusive for 4k players with there own content delivery system might be very long time before we see viable content that people will rip at home.
post #28 of 47 Old 01-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

+1 with both of you. I will certainly go to NUC + openelec for my next player (i.e. when my D1 will die, so I hope in a few years...)

It looks like people that are knowledgeable about media players are looking to options for the future which is great.
Then this trickles down to others interested as media players have done, expanded in popularity.
If they can make systems like NUC etc easy to use for a novice then it could be a great thing.I know I hope my Dunes last till things really get established with new tech.
I dont see Dune bringing out anything new anymore in media players.
They have said they are going to concentrate on the tv market in Europe already
Things are moving fast with other tech like NUC and PLEX etc that I havent got my head around yet and really dont wont too just yet as my setup serves me perfectly at the moment.
If Dune would only fix things on their Base 3D it would tie me over till I have to change and this is where alot of people would at

post #29 of 47 Old 01-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

From the Sigma press release:
It appears to me that this chipset is targeting the TV itself, and not a disc or media player. The chips are meant to drive the video display, and not necessarily drive an HDMI 2.0 output. I don't believe it is something that Dune or other media-player manufacturers can use.

Until there is a clear source for 4K content and the HDMI 2.0 spec is solid, I don't believe there will be a 4K media player. For traditional HD content, the display devices themselves will upscale, as this Sigma chipset does.

In fact they already announced a partnership with wyplay (French company making STB as well as low end retail media players) to make their first media player based on this new 4k chip. So yes, it's going to be used in media players.
post #30 of 47 Old 01-12-2014, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds interesting

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player With Motion Remote

User Tag List