HDCP Unauthorized Issues with Roku 3 and Panasonic AX100U Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I spoke to a rep at Roku tonight and she suggested substituting HDMI cables (I've tried 3), all the unplugging routines, and the reboots. But she admitted that *the Roku 3* is more susceptible to the HDCP issue than their other models. I will revert to a 2 since fewer issues of this type have been reported while I wait for a native YouTube channel on that device.
I use the 3 successfully with my recent Vizio LED set, not with my Panasonic AX100U projector. This has been confirmed to be an HDCP compatible device, though it is circa 2007. The screen flashes back and forth from normal video to the warning. Still images are OK, of course. While there is no way to upgrade the firmware in this projector, it has no problems with any other source except when I tried a DarbeeVision video enhancer and got a flashing screen but no message. Don't know if that was related.
Please note that I have a direct HDMI connection (4 ft) from the 3 to my projector. I am not going through a receiver with HDMI inputs to keep things as pure as possible. Because a use a legacy receiver without HDMI inputs I was planning to use a standalone device to split off composite audio from the HDMI. Had I tried to do that I would have blamed the split-off device for my issues.
The projector is likely partly at fault here, but I have read of HDCP issues with the latest Panasonic projectors. Does anyone know of anyone who is successfully using the Roku 3 with *any* projector?????
So all this because I really wanted to display the new native YouTube channel on my big screen.
Your experiences and thoughts are appreciated.
Frankfrank1492

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-20-2014, 04:58 PM

Liked: 12

I am having this issue as well.
I have a Epson 2030 projector and hooking up the Roku 3 directly gives me no problem.
But when I use a switcher to get the audio to my receiver (non-hdmi), it's give me the problem.

I use the epvision PHD-VRX2 as my switcher.

From what I've gathered it seems as though if anything in the chain before the display device (be it a TV or projector) is not hdcp compliant, then this issue will arise.

So if your HDMI cable is not HDCP compliant then you'll get the issue.

With that said, I bought some HDMI cables from amazon which don't list as HDCP compliant and I thought well maybe that's the issue.

So I go back to that product page where I bought the cables and one of the reviews says this:

Quote:
Ryan, all hi speed HDMI cables are HDCP. Marking any HDMI cable as HDCP is a sales gimmick, not based in science. HDCP depends upon the components on either end of the cable, not the cables themselves. These are well made cables and look nice too. I hate to hide them behind my equipment! They have very solid end connectors and mine have a blue and grey tweed fabric look covering. I have several sets of very cheap black ones from a different manufacturer that work OK except for one set that has an internittent connection due to a flimsy end connector. I don't think the cheapies would take frequest plugging and unplugging as well as the Twisted Veins. I work as a DJ and bass player so I work with cables all the time. Cables don't tend to break in the middle but at the ends. These are molded on nicely. BTW, hi speed a HDMI cable works or don't work. The expensive ones (like Monster cable) don't give any better picture or sound and I found that my Monster cables with RCA connectors were just awful because they were too thick and stiff to stay snug in the sockets when plugged in. The same goes for Monster speaker cable. Unless you are going a long distance (over 50 feet) there is no noticeable degradation of sound quality due to wire impedance. Save your money! Sorry Monster.

Even with that, I changed the cable to one that was listed as HDCP compliant and the issue is still there.

So at this point I am pulling my hair out.

It's obviously an issue with the Roku 3 and how it deals with HDCP because this doesn't seem to be an issue with the Roku 2 even in scenarios where the equipment is exactly the same, using splitters and or audio extractors.

I just wish Roku would add an optical and coax out on the Roku 3, this would eliminate the problem, or at least I think it would.

I'm new to the projector world and this need for splitters/audio extractors, and or HDMI receivers and it's truly frustrating.

But hell once I experienced a 120" screen I screwed myself because I can't fathom watching a regular TV anymore even if it was a 60" or 70", they all just look tiny now.

post #3 of 3 Old 01-21-2014, 07:17 AM

Liked: 10

I HAD THE SAME ISSUE

POWER ON DISPLAY, SET INPUT TO WHICHEVER IS THE ROKU, CHANGE DISPLAY SETTING( ON THE ROKU), THEN BACK AGAIN. EX. CHANGE FROM 1080P TO 720P THEN BACK TO 1080P. THIS CREATES AN NEW HDCP HAND SHAKE. AND NOW YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO WATCH.

SORRY FOR SHOUTING, CAPS BUTTON STUCK

YOU HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY TIME AFTER POWERING UP, OR SWITCHING INPUTS.

ON YOUR DISPLAY. HOPE THIS HELPS, LET ME KNOW

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ax100u Home Cinema Projector , Roku 3 Streaming Player With Motion Remote
Gear in this thread - Ax100u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page