Looking for some help here. I have been using aTVs since they came out and even a mac mini with OSXBMC (then Plex) for a while, but the stability was never enough for the family so stuck with the ATVs.
Now I am looking for a Bluray quality solution for my theater and I saw things like Dune HD Max, Dune HD Base 3D, Mede8ter, Zappiti Player, etc. So here are some basic requirements that can not be compromised.
1. Need no issues playing back at 23.976. (from what I can tell Dune HD Base 3D has issues here)
2. Need no issues bit streaming DTS-HD / TrueHD
3. The above would be done via MakeMKV
4. Subtitles. Forced or not, just to make sure for non-English parts subtitles are available. This would mostly be my checking the 'forced subtitle' box in MakeMKV
5. Best video quality (though most use same chipset so may be a wash) but hope video quality is similar to my current BDP-150 Bluray.
I don't think these requirements are crazy, though you don't see much talk about them (other than the forced subtitle category).
If non of this is possible I might be down either the custom HTPC route.