Which players can handle full bitrate Bluray rip over network - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 71 Old 01-26-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok guys this is some serious BS. I just bought and set up the Synology 413j, and my WDTV Live Plus still stutters on a highbitrate MKV! what the hell's going on. I have CAT6 cable between everything. Nothing is amiss with the network setup. The WDTV simply can't handle high bitrate MKVs. I don't know how you guys are doing it. I don't think you're all trying the same thing I am. You must be using the transcoder to send the video over. I'm using a samba share so it's not dumbing down the resolution or bitrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 Old 01-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Sure the issue isn't related the the program that you used to make the MKV's? Try playing one from a thumb drive hooked to the device and see what happens. I remember there being a problem mentioned with one of the versions of the MKV programs.

Bill
post #33 of 71 Old 01-26-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

It's isolated to high bitrate movies over ETHERNET only. It's known throughout the community that the WDTV will play fine over a USB. This only happens over the network. Also I used makemkv to produce the video files. Many have chimed in in this thread that they have used makemkv, and had no issues during playback.
post #34 of 71 Old 01-26-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I told you before, switch to .m2ts (use TSMuxer). You can keep fighting it or use the time to do a simple re-mux. There is something about either your titles or the way you are making them that the WD Live-SMP doesn't like.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #35 of 71 Old 01-26-2014, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

But everyone else in this thread is all, "i play full bitrate MKV all the time! No problems!" Why should my situation be different?
post #36 of 71 Old 01-26-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
See I don't play my MKV's from my Synology 413J because it only has one ethernet port, I play them from a larger NAS that has two ethernet ports which I bond on my switch, same for my tv shows, they are played from another NAS with two ethernet ports as well. I am not saying this is your problem, it shouldn't be. What kind of switch are you using? Try setting up a network share using NFS and see if that helps, I have read in other threads that it does for some reason. What else is plugged into the switch other then the WDTV and the Synology NAS?
post #37 of 71 Old 01-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I play full bitrate M2TS files, as that is what is on the disc it was what I used from my first rip.

Bill
post #38 of 71 Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
M2ts rip. Straight bdmv. Cat6 cable through network share. Wdtv live smp. I have also played mkv made with makemkv. No problems.
post #39 of 71 Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by YERFDOGG View Post

I don't think you're all trying the same thing I am. You must be using the transcoder to send the video over. I'm using a samba share so it's not dumbing down the resolution or bitrate.

Transcoding could also effect it negatively if the server is underpowered. But we were talking about watching from network shares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YERFDOGG View Post

But everyone else in this thread is all, "i play full bitrate MKV all the time! No problems!" Why should my situation be different?

Because of different hardware, software, source files, expertise? Who knows? Maybe you simply have some UPNP/jumbo frames/whatever issues that manifest like this.

Sorry, but I don't care if you don't believe me or consider all these people here telling you BS. I'm watching high-bitrate MKVs ripped with MakeMKV on my WDTV Live from my MyBookLiveDuo NAS or Win 7 PC on a 100 mbit network without any stutters.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #40 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm in the market for a media streamer and tripped across this thread. For less than $100, seems worth a try.

Can someone tell me what the exact steps are that you used to encode the mkv's using MakeMKV?

And I'm ordering this : http://www.amazon.com/Live-Media-Pla...bs_13447451_10, right?

I have very good performance out of my network so I am optimistic this just might hit the spot for me. I feel like I'm giving up on the "guess the encoding" game on my XBox360 and I'm frankly desperate for blu-ray quality without having to get off my lazy butt.
post #41 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
I'm in the market for a media streamer and tripped across this thread. For less than $100, seems worth a try.

Can someone tell me what the exact steps are that you used to encode the mkv's using MakeMKV?

And I'm ordering this : http://www.amazon.com/Live-Media-Pla...bs_13447451_10, right?

I have very good performance out of my network so I am optimistic this just might hit the spot for me. I feel like I'm giving up on the "guess the encoding" game on my XBox360 and I'm frankly desperate for blu-ray quality without having to get off my lazy butt.
Havent been on in a while but have been using mt wdtv live smp for almost a year. The 2 biggest problems i have with it is the lack of forced subtitles. The work around for this more than i care to get involved in. And the inability to rewind/ff. rewinding a full uncompressed bd rip is super slow and whn you stop, it stops at a random spot in the movie. You can go to a particular time in the movie but that is not accurate either.
post #42 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Havent been on in a while but have been using mt wdtv live smp for almost a year. The 2 biggest problems i have with it is the lack of forced subtitles. The work around for this more than i care to get involved in. And the inability to rewind/ff. rewinding a full uncompressed bd rip is super slow and whn you stop, it stops at a random spot in the movie. You can go to a particular time in the movie but that is not accurate either.
and if neither of those things matter to me?

and do I have the link right? Is that the right box?

Last edited by JRock3x8; 06-22-2014 at 06:41 AM.
post #43 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
and if neither of those things matter to me?

and do I have the link right? Is that the right box?
Yep, that's probably the best box for local playback as you will find, short of an HTPC.

And just to throw in my 2 Cents......

I've been playing back uncompressed BR Rips in .mkv and .m2ts from my home built server, using SMB across my wired Gigabit connection since I purchased my WDTV Live Hub in 2012. Never had a stutter as long as it was wired. 40+Mbps streams included.

My only complaint was the WDTV Live Hub started to get a little doggish when browsing my library after it got over about 500 movies and it didn't pass through all of the metadata that I wanted over UPnP from my Media Server software. It was a little slow for FF/Rew, too, but not enough that I really considered it as a factor for replacement. Loved how easy it was to correct Lip Sync issues on the fly. Probably the best implementation that I have seen.

Subtitles are still very selectable and I think the issue was with Forced subtitles in particular.
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #44 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
Yep, that's probably the best box for local playback as you will find, short of an HTPC.

And just to throw in my 2 Cents......

I've been playing back uncompressed BR Rips in .mkv and .m2ts from my home built server, using SMB across my wired Gigabit connection since I purchased my WDTV Live Hub in 2012. Never had a stutter as long as it was wired. 40+Mbps streams included.

My only complaint was the WDTV Live Hub started to get a little doggish when browsing my library after it got over about 500 movies and it didn't pass through all of the metadata that I wanted over UPnP from my Media Server software. It was a little slow for FF/Rew, too, but not enough that I really considered it as a factor for replacement. Loved how easy it was to correct Lip Sync issues on the fly. Probably the best implementation that I have seen.

Subtitles are still very selectable and I think the issue was with Forced subtitles in particular.

SOLD! Thank you!

edit: hey there's something fishy going on here - I linked to a page on Amazon and now all of a sudden the link points to an eBay page (at $20 higher cost) - what gives?
post #45 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
When I follow your link and add to card, it's listed at 79,99. Seems to be the new version without Netflix, though.

Quote:
Havent been on in a while but have been using mt wdtv live smp for almost a year. The 2 biggest problems i have with it is the lack of forced subtitles.
Name one standalone that supports forced subs from MKV.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #46 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
When I follow your link and add to card, it's listed at 79,99. Seems to be the new version without Netflix, though.

Name one standalone that supports forced subs from MKV.
TechflWs. TKe my comment as being applied to all set top media streamers.

And if those two things don't matter, yes it is IMO the best and most versatile streamer out there short of a dedicated htpc. But it has its fair share of bugs. Nothing deal breaking. But again so does a htpc. All in all, if a streamer is what u want, this is the one to get.

Last edited by johnBlanker; 06-22-2014 at 10:56 AM.
post #47 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
Just make sure it is the WDTV Live and you should have NetFlix. The new one lacks the Live and doesn't have NetFlix.
post #48 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
Just make sure it is the WDTV Live and you should have NetFlix. The new one lacks the Live and doesn't have NetFlix.

I don't subscribe to Netflix. I don't like their movie selection and the last TV series I actually paid attention to was John Doe.
post #49 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by YERFDOGG View Post
 The WDTV simply can't handle high bitrate MKVs.
That's the conclusion I came to. I have WD tv, Boxee box, and Mede8er on my network. The boxee and the wd just don't make it on high bit rates. The mede8er is the only one that works for me with full bit rate.
post #50 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
SOLD! Thank you!

edit: hey there's something fishy going on here - I linked to a page on Amazon and now all of a sudden the link points to an eBay page (at $20 higher cost) - what gives?
This is the Amazon link to the WDTV Live-SMP for $80 that has Netflix. Model = WDBHG70000NBK-HESN -- this is soon to be discontinued.

This is the Amazon link to the new WDTV Media Player for $100 that is the same as the old version but does not have Netflix. Model = WDBYMN0000NBK-HESN

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #51 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post
I have WD tv, Boxee box, and Mede8er on my network. The boxee and the wd just don't make it on high bit rates. The mede8er is the only one that works for me with full bit rate.
That is just not true. I have the previous version Live plus and several of the Live-SMP's. I consistently stream full bitrate BD.m2ts files from my servers without issue. Even the highest bitrate titles >40Mbps, stream flawlessly without stutter. There are plenty of others here who have the same experiences. People who experience stutter generally have a supply problem from their NAS units that may or may not be particular to their interaction with the WD Live. But in any event, the Sigma chipset in the WD Live certainly has enough horsepower to deliver flawless streaming over a wired network.

- kelson h

post #52 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
That is just not true. I have the previous version Live plus and several of the Live-SMP's. I consistently stream full bitrate BD.m2ts files from my servers without issue. Even the highest bitrate titles >40Mbps, stream flawlessly without stutter. There are plenty of others here who have the same experiences. People who experience stutter generally have a supply problem from their NAS units that may or may not be particular to their interaction with the WD Live. But in any event, the Sigma chipset in the WD Live certainly has enough horsepower to deliver flawless streaming over a wired network.
Well that's just it. I don't have a supply issue. Each port has been tested with the mede8er which I know works with full bit rate. The med works fine. It's only the boxee and the wd that stutters.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the wd for what ever reason is not taking full advantage of what's being delivered to it.
post #53 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post
The only conclusion I can come to is that the wd for what ever reason is not taking full advantage of what's being delivered to it.
In your network arrangement.

One thing I have noticed about the WD Live is that it likes static IP addresses. It likes to have a static IP address of its own and it likes the servers that serve it to have static IP addresses.

- kelson h

post #54 of 71 Old 06-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm an idiot and even I don't have issues with 35-40 Mbps on my wired WDTV. Most of those are m2ts though.
post #55 of 71 Old 06-25-2014, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

2 funny things on unboxing this morning (won't get to hook up until tonight / later this week) :

1) The legal disclaimer sticker on the back that basically says - "psst! hey! don't use this to watch pirated stuff!"

2) They put a composite cable in the box (ROFL) It should have a tag attached to it that says "hey if you're going to use this you may as well return it to the store"

speaking of pirating movies, God Bless Warner Brothers and whoever is making their Blu-Rays. I watched The Matrix Utlimate Collection (just the theatrical movies) and The Dark Knight and no trailers, no FBI warnings, no menus, just pop in the disc, rating screen and movie. If more studios took this approach, pirates wouldn't be able to beat their chest so hard about why their way is better (and it is - more convenient, faster, less BS)

ok will report back with my uncompressed blu ray test later this week.
post #56 of 71 Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Full bd rip iso is fine. Again, ff/rw is very glitchy. And i second kelsons static ip. It also doesnt like it if you turn off your nas/pc and restart it while the wdtv is on. Any change like that requires a wdtv reboot. Kelson why did they get rid of netflix? They are coming out with a new model that just doesnt have netflix? I dont get it.
post #57 of 71 Old 06-25-2014, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

there's a big old netflix ad right on the front of the box - not that I care but you're telling me it won't do that?

That's crazy - at least change the packaging...

just to be clear I don't use Netflix and have no plans to.
post #58 of 71 Old 06-25-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Full bd rip iso is fine. Again, ff/rw is very glitchy. And i second kelsons static ip. It also doesnt like it if you turn off your nas/pc and restart it while the wdtv is on. Any change like that requires a wdtv reboot. Kelson why did they get rid of netflix? They are coming out with a new model that just doesnt have netflix? I dont get it.
re: FF/RW
I never use FF/RW for BD rips. It works really great for a 7Mbps DVD but with a full bit-rate BD.m2ts (i.e. 30+ Mbps), 100Mbps ethernet is not fast enough to give smooth performance -- in my experience. I strictly use the Live-SMP's skip-2-time function when I need it and love it -- fast and accurate.

re: no netflix in the WDTV PE
Here is my unsubstantiated take on the whole thing

Quote:
there's a big old netflix ad right on the front of the box - not that I care but you're telling me it won't do that?

That's crazy - at least change the packaging....
There are two models still on the market right now. The Live-SMP with Netflix and the "new" Live PE without Netflix. Everything else about the players appears the same in terms of the hardware and their playback capabilities. There are separate threads for each.

The box you saw with the Netflix logo is probably the Live-SMP. I expect the Live-SMP to disappear from shelves as they run out of stock in the next couple months. Right now I feel it is the better buy and is $20 cheaper than the Live PE. I have several Live-SMP's deployed around my house.

- kelson h

post #59 of 71 Old 06-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Ripped and watched 3 minutes of From Pole to Pole on Planet Earth. Looked pretty damn good to me.

But I was getting David Attenborough out of my rear speakers. Cant remember if maybe that is how the opening goes.

Picture was just perfect though. No hitches, no lost frames, just perfect. Very very happy with first impression.

Is there a "how to" somewhere to generate thumbnails? The menus are predictably sparse.
post #60 of 71 Old 06-26-2014, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

answered my own question :

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9B-_a63rRxnZ-w

remember when hyperlinks were just http://www.website.com/page - man what happened?

"
Video:
The WD TV will display .mp4 files with an embedded .jpg image, if the embedded image exists or is supported.
If an embedded image cannot be found, WD TV will display an image file with the same name as the movie (for example Video.mkv will be associated with Video.jpg)."

....except that didn't work on my player.... hmmm...

edit : light reading for later... *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread

Last edited by JRock3x8; 06-26-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Synology Ds1812 Diskstation High Performance Nas Server Scales Up To 18 Drives For Smb Users
Gear in this thread - Ds1812 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page