Which players can handle full bitrate Bluray rip over network - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 71 Old 06-27-2014, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 37
anyone know anything about this mini-PC?

http://promotions.newegg.com/vga/14-...et_rid=8054372

I saw this in one of their emails and the xbmc logo and was intrigued. Not that I need it now that I'm rocking the WDTV but just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 06-27-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
anyone know anything about this mini-PC?

http://promotions.newegg.com/vga/14-...et_rid=8054372

I saw this in one of their emails and the xbmc logo and was intrigued. Not that I need it now that I'm rocking the WDTV but just curious.
Don't know anything about that one but if you are curious about mini-PC's to be used as players take a look at the Intel NUC's. You can run Openelec or run Ubuntu off a flash drive and install XBMC and/or Plex. I keep tossing the thought around to buy one to play with. I like the size and the fact that it has an Intel processor.

Bottom line = there are lots of little boxes out there that can run linux.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #63 of 71 Old 06-27-2014, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Don't know anything about that one but if you are curious about mini-PC's to be used as players take a look at the Intel NUC's. You can run Openelec or run Ubuntu off a flash drive and install XBMC and/or Plex. I keep tossing the thought around to buy one to play with. I like the size and the fact that it has an Intel processor.

Bottom line = there are lots of little boxes out there that can run linux.
I have ZERO experience with any of that stuff - how much of it is plug and play vs you have to kind of monkey around with it for a few hours or days to get it how you want it?

I love the pictures and the demos I see of XBMC and this "Simplicity" skin that I'm reading about for WDTV but every time I've looked into it for myself it seems like you either need a computer science degree or 4 solid days and some heart attack medicine to get through it.
post #64 of 71 Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I have ZERO experience with any of that stuff - how much of it is plug and play vs you have to kind of monkey around with it for a few hours or days to get it how you want it?

I love the pictures and the demos I see of XBMC and this "Simplicity" skin that I'm reading about for WDTV but every time I've looked into it for myself it seems like you either need a computer science degree or 4 solid days and some heart attack medicine to get through it.
XBMC can be as easy or as complicated as you'd like. Installation is the most difficult part, especially if you want a dedicated box that boots right into XBMC (like OpenELEC), rather than a system running an OS with XBMC.

You can literally boot-up, add the network share or local file destination, set your scraper and XBMC will do the rest.

If you want to customize by changing skins, adding things like Pandora or YouTube, then those are all available to mess with. They are not complicated. The hardest part is sorting through the detritus to find what you are looking for. It's a lot like looking for an app in Google Play where you have to sift through 7 bad apps or apps that don't actually do what you thought they would do to get the good one that you want.
post #65 of 71 Old 06-27-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is why this whole media streamer/streaming arena is largely a hobbyist thing when you get into these off-brand boxes and build-em' mini-boxes.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #66 of 71 Old 06-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
That is why this whole media streamer/streaming arena is largely a hobbyist thing when you get into these off-brand boxes and build-em' mini-boxes.
yah the thing that bugs me about that is that no one ever stops to explain the big picture. take simplicity for example...

a) but a WDTV
b) flash the OS with this image
c) run thumbgen to populate the metadata
d) enjoy...

it's just a series of incredibly complicated technical steps without context - that makes it hard to follow.

sorry - we are WAY off topic here...
post #67 of 71 Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The NUC's are interesting, but it still seems you have to piece the parts together and they are still pretty expensive. Having a HTPC was nice for certain things. I could have full bd menu support via PowerDVD. And it never had problems connecting to my media, and ff/rw worked fine. But it also had it's own slew of problems. I was always futzing around with the picture settings on the ATI graphics (CCC) program. Had countless driver issues. A lot of problems with pdvd/player apps passing HD audio. Plus you have cinavia to worry about with htpc. I'm dealing with full bd rips, not streaming dlna or compressed/transcoded files.
post #68 of 71 Old 06-27-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Plus you have cinavia to worry about with htpc.
Cinavia is only an issue with commercial player software that has a BDA license. AnyDVD HD running in the background will now mask Cinavia for a selection of those commercial players so you can have your cake and full BD menu support too.

- kelson h

post #69 of 71 Old 06-28-2014, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

again a bit off topic but I have to say that MakeMKV is one of the most beautifully functionally simplistic piece of software ever created. It does one thing and it does it damn near perfectly.

what settings should I be using to rip audio using MKV for best 5.1 results for WD Live TV?

edit : Planet Earth ripped CRAZY fast but Star Wars is taking FOREVER... is that copy protection or dirty disc?

Last edited by JRock3x8; 06-28-2014 at 08:00 AM.
post #70 of 71 Old 06-28-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Why not use an old PC with wireless N? I stream my 10 GB mkv files over wifi with no issue at all, and XBMC has plenty of plugins.
post #71 of 71 Old 06-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

those Star Wars Blurays were NO JOKE - took almost 3 hours per disc to rip x 6 discs and I don't even like what they've done to the original trilogy...

Thankfully I have yet to run into another disc that takes that long to rip.

Not sure if that's Lucasfilm or Fox who made that decision but a big middle finger either way.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Synology Ds1812 Diskstation High Performance Nas Server Scales Up To 18 Drives For Smb Users
Gear in this thread - Ds1812 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page