Which players can handle full bitrate Bluray rip over network - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 71 Old 01-08-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been working on this one for a long time. None of the WDTVs can handle fullbitrate BD rips over a network connection without buffer problems. Are there any players that CAN handle it? Then, do any of these players stream Netflix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 01-08-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The WDTV should and can handle full bitrate, this is all wired connection not wireless correct?
post #3 of 71 Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by YERFDOGG View Post

Been working on this one for a long time. None of the WDTVs can handle fullbitrate BD rips over a network connection without buffer problems.
Well that is just plain wrong. There's a whole bunch of people in this thread, including me, who do exactly just that -- using wired network connections.

Now if you are talking wireless, then yes it will stutter and so will every other player. Wireless is not suitable for full bitrate BD. If you are using wired and it still stutters, then your issue is with your network and/or server, not the WD Live.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 71 Old 01-08-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it's over wired. The WDTV can NOT play a full BD rip. You guys might be playing compressed BD files. If I take the BD and rip with makemkv without futher encryption, the WD will usually have a problem with it. There have been countless threads about this and no one has gotten it to not stutter, even over wired gigabit connection. The WDTV live has a NIC buffer issue. Works great for DVD or even low bitrate 1080p, but when it's the full disc it goes nuts. It's not my network setup b/c I can play on the computer from the same exact file on the NAS and it doesn't have a problem.
post #5 of 71 Old 01-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Many here, myself included, can assure you that the WDTV can play full bitrate BD files over wired lan. You may want to make sure the cable you are using is good or even the port the WDTV is being plugged into.

Bill
post #6 of 71 Old 01-08-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Holy cow I don't get it. There's a million threads about high bitrate stutter on wired LAN with WDTV live; here and on other forums. You seriously have NEVER had an issue? Try an action movie. It has to be a direct disc copy, not stuff ripped with handbrake to a smaller size. Seriously the WDTV can't handle it over ethernet. I even put a crossover cable between the NAS and the WDTV, it stuttered. Before that I tried playing the same file simultaneously on the WDTV and on my computer. Computer played it fine but WDTV started stuttering.
post #7 of 71 Old 01-08-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Never had an issue with 1:1 rips of blurays in mkv format, with bitrates as high as 35mbps just video plus another 3-4mbps of audio. Streaming over wired from synology ds1812+ over CIFS.
post #8 of 71 Old 01-08-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, it's over wired. The WDTV can NOT play a full BD rip. You guys might be playing compressed BD files. If I take the BD and rip with makemkv without futher encryption, the WD will usually have a problem with it. There have been countless threads about this and no one has gotten it to not stutter, even over wired gigabit connection. The WDTV live has a NIC buffer issue. Works great for DVD or even low bitrate 1080p, but when it's the full disc it goes nuts. It's not my network setup b/c I can play on the computer from the same exact file on the NAS and it doesn't have a problem.
OK, now I get it -- another MKV with problems.

I don't compress anything! All are direct 1:1 rips to native BD.m2ts files. I don't touch MKV.
The three highest bitrate titles I have are Super 8 (42.7Mbps), Mirror Mirror (41.8 Mbps), Season of The Witch (41.5 Mbps) -- all with HD Audio. They all stream perfectly on the Live-SMP over a wired network, not a hint of stutter -- as native .m2ts files.

Take one of your problematic MKV's, convert it to .m2ts, play it and enjoy.
You can use TSMuxer to do that quickly.
mrfattbill likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 71 Old 01-08-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

How do i convert to m2ts? Will ts muxer do that?
post #10 of 71 Old 01-08-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How do i convert to m2ts? Will ts muxer do that?
Yes. You can leave the defaults as they are. On the INPUT tab, just click the ADD button, select your .mkv. Select M2TS Muxing and specify a destination. It will be very fast if you have two HDD's in your PC and can put the source on one and write the destination to the other one.

You can download the new version of TSMuxer at VideoHelp.com

- kelson h

post #11 of 71 Old 01-08-2014, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Why do you guys bother with full size rips? I am certain with a bitrate of 10,000 Mbps compressed MKV file you would not notice the difference from your full size uncompressed rips. I certainly can't on my 125" screen through my projector.
post #12 of 71 Old 01-08-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Holy cow I don't get it. There's a million threads about high bitrate stutter on wired LAN with WDTV live; here and on other forums.
URL or it didn't happen. And contrary to kelson I use uncompressed MKVs exclusively: NO stutter over wired SMB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_man View Post

Why do you guys bother with full size rips?
Because HDD space is getting cheaper and screen sizes are getting bigger all the time?

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #13 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

post #14 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm in the process of building my first HTPC, and have been using the WDlive and my Panny bluray for streaming compressed files. Now have a NAS server wired to the WD, I can play straight MKV files (so far) without a problem, but only if the net wire connection is directly to the WD. When I tried to use my switch which has the wd, blu ray player, receiver on it, the video, even on dvd mkv rips, stuttered and stalled. Tried a another brand new switch, unplugged all other components, same thing. Read about packet problems etc. with switches. I might try the m2ts fix, or hopefully the pc will be able to handle the mkv's.
post #15 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Add me to the list of having ZERO problems with streaming full bitrate MKVs.

I use MakeMKV to rip all my movies(although I let AnyDVD do the copy protection stripping) and I have yet to see one stutter. I know Avatar is one of the bigger birates in my collection if I remember right at around 33-35mbps and not a stutter to be seen(My daughter used to watch it all the time on the WD Live SMP). I am wired on a Gigabit network(Asus AC66U with a WD Live 3TB and 2TB Network drives connected directly to it serving the MKV files). My WD Live SMP is connected further down the line behind 3 gigabit(Netgear) switches.
post #16 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Most of these threads are from 2010. That's a lifetime in the tech world. How many generations of WD TVs is that?
post #17 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Players are always called out as the problem but what people fail to see most of the time these players have zero cache, they have to have the network stream with very low latency so if you have anything wrong in the chain that is causing packets to drop or drive spin down. Just to give an idea of how small a margin one of the original HP WHS NAS units if it had twonky running it could not produce the speeds needed to maintain a solid stream turn twonky off it would stream without issue to a player.
post #18 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana_av View Post

Most of these threads are from 2010. That's a lifetime in the tech world. How many generations of WD TVs is that?

I tried it with the WDTV Live SMP and it still did the same thing.
post #19 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Add me to the list of having ZERO problems with streaming full bitrate MKVs.

I use MakeMKV to rip all my movies(although I let AnyDVD do the copy protection stripping) and I have yet to see one stutter. I know Avatar is one of the bigger birates in my collection if I remember right at around 33-35mbps and not a stutter to be seen(My daughter used to watch it all the time on the WD Live SMP). I am wired on a Gigabit network(Asus AC66U with a WD Live 3TB and 2TB Network drives connected directly to it serving the MKV files). My WD Live SMP is connected further down the line behind 3 gigabit(Netgear) switches.

+1

Never an issue for me.

But sorry your daughter made you watch Dances With Wolves- Animated, so may times. tongue.gif

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #20 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so all these ppl that have NO problem, please tell me which WDTV you are using. I've tried both the WDTV Live Plus and the SMP. Both did the same thing. I've read that other ppl have had the same problem with the most recent generation of WDTV (the SMP). Keep in mind that the stuttering doesn't happen all the time. It's random. If it happens at a certain point in a movie, you can replay the same exact movie moments later and it may not stutter at that part. I have trouble believing that a million ppl had issues, but when I post a thread ppl that say, "nope no problem here" are the ONLY ones to show up.
post #21 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

+1

Never an issue for me.

But sorry your daughter made you watch Dances With Wolves- Animated, so may times. tongue.gif

James

Nah, we have more than one TV in the house, for just this type of thing smile.gif
post #22 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Ok so all these ppl that have NO problem, please tell me which WDTV you are using. I've tried both the WDTV Live Plus and the SMP. Both did the same thing. I've read that other ppl have had the same problem with the most recent generation of WDTV (the SMP). Keep in mind that the stuttering doesn't happen all the time. It's random. If it happens at a certain point in a movie, you can replay the same exact movie moments later and it may not stutter at that part. I have trouble believing that a million ppl had issues, but when I post a thread ppl that say, "nope no problem here" are the ONLY ones to show up.

using WDTV SMP and was using WDTV LIVE before. No issues streaming from Synology.
BUT when I was running Freenas and then Nas4Free I occasionally would see shuttering. Ever since I got the Synology the issue is gone.
How are you accessing the media? CIFS, NFS, Media Server?
post #23 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidz View Post

using WDTV SMP and was using WDTV LIVE before. No issues streaming from Synology.
BUT when I was running Freenas and then Nas4Free I occasionally would see shuttering. Ever since I got the Synology the issue is gone.

I am using the DLNA server on my Dlink D321 NAS. I wondered if this was the problem, but I can stream to a computer and the playback in fine! That tells me the NAS can send the info over no problem.
post #24 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidz View Post

I am using the DLNA server on my Dlink D321 NAS. I wondered if this was the problem, but I can stream to a computer and the playback in fine! That tells me the NAS can send the info over no problem.
Try CIFS or NFS
post #25 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also never assume that. Your PC will cache and continue to cache any extra video so even if it skips a bit on network the pc usually has enough cache built up that you will not notice. Media players on the other hand cache nothing, you can think of it as a solid feed so if there is a hickup at all you will notice it on the video.
post #26 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Fist off I use both WD Live-plus and WD Live-SMP and have no issues as I detailed above with bitrates that exceed 40 Mbps.

Secondly, I have two of those DNS 321's (4TB each) and I only use them for DVD.iso and HDTV.m2ts files -- 17 Mbps source files max. They are some of the slowest NAS units on the planet when it comes to read speeds (well under 100 Mbps) so I'm not surprised you are having BluRay stuttering problems with them BECAUSE I DID TOO -- I got them cheap, they are very dependable and they do fine for what I use them for. On top of that, the built-in DLNA server is barebones with no provision for equipment profiles to tweak it for various players. I have a Panasonic BD75 BluRay player. When I tried to connect it to the DLNA server on a DNS 321 it locked up the player every time and required me to pull the players plug. When you use a PC player it can effectively buffer short bursts and hold everything the NAS can send to smooth over erratic reads -- media players have small finite buffers and can't do the same.

All my full bitrate BD.m2ts are on disk farm controlled by a fast media-PC with GigE networking that can deliver a sustained 110MBps over my network. I use Mezzmo as my DLNA server. The BD75 loves it and plays fine with Mezzmo.

- kelson h

post #27 of 71 Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

techflaws, what WDTV are you using?
WDTV Live on 1.06.43 and WDTV Live Streaming on 2.01.86 attached to a 100mbit router (for extended copy sessions I turn on my gbit switch but not for watching movies).

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #28 of 71 Old 01-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
dude, come on, we are not all liars here. With the night hawk router, 3 gigabit switches, cat 6 ethernet connected to the WDTV Live smp, same one techflaws is using, And the KDLinks 720 (which has a painfully slow internal NIC, mind you). I have NEVER experienced ANY buffering. Full, unaltered, straight, pure, BDMV rips. Movies with multiple .m2ts files tend to pause between them, so sometimes I will rip to (FULL) MKV, or just mux to 1 .m2ts.

Windows 7-> share the folder. The players read the network shares. There is no transcoding going on. No DLNA servers. Full bitrate rips and full HD audio. No problems.
post #29 of 71 Old 01-11-2014, 10:18 PM

Liked: 11
Whilst using PS3 Media Sever to DNLA to a PS3 I would sometimes get stuttering.

I finally got a clip that always stuttered in the same place to test various fixes.

In the end it was the MTU setting on the PS3 under network settings. The default was 1500, I reduced this to 1472 and it fixed all my stutters with DNLA including 1080p bluray rips.

It would appear that the MTU relationship between you PC, Router, LAN & WAN can all be the source of stuttering depending on the circumstances. The defaults appear to be too high, but it was a complicated topic, depends on which version of Windows, too.

I thought it might help as I only stumbled on the MTU fix because I was testing everything I could to resolve the problem.
post #30 of 71 Old 01-12-2014, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Yerf - the Dune HD TV-303D streams full bit flawlessly - along with DTS-MA but no net flicks
I found my WD players would have occasional issues and upgraded for that reason

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Synology Ds1812 Diskstation High Performance Nas Server Scales Up To 18 Drives For Smb Users
Gear in this thread - Ds1812 by PriceGrabber.com