Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hey guys,

So I have an extensive collection of standard 2D Blu-rays that I have ripped to .mkv and .ts to my computer which is shared to various Mede8er 600X3D's throughout my house using on a Gigabit network with haneWIN NFS. They are full video+audio rips, movie title only (but no compression of any kind). They all play FANTASTIC with no stutter or jitters ever.

With the purchase of my new Sony VPL-VW600ES projector, I have decided to give 3D another try on my projection screen (was too dim with my old HW30ES projector). Rather than keep physical copies of the 3D Blu-rays I own in my theater room, I would like to also rip them to my computer and share them with my Mede8ers since they support 3D playback.

Here is the 3D supported video of the Mede8ers: 3D BDISO, Side by Side, Top & Bottom, Frame Sequential, Frame Packing (max 1920 x 1080)

I know that AnyDVD HD can create an ISO rip of a 3D disc, but I only want the main movie with HD audio track (I like to keep my file sizes as small as possible and love not having to navigate movie menus). Is there supported formats that allow for just the 3D movie and selected audio tracks, like a 3D format for MKV possibly? Or is a full ISO rip the only way to stream a 3D Blu-ray?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-13-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As far as I know an MKV rip converts the 2 1920x1080 streams into one single 1920x1080 side by side (SBS) MKV, which is then playable on a media player, as the max resolution at the moment is 1080p for these players. Doing this means you lose 1/2 the picture quality. Something to be aware of before committing to ripping them instead of ISO'ing them.

Personally I'd like to do the same, but don't want to do it at the expense of lost picture quality.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-13-2014, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSly View Post

As far as I know an MKV rip converts the 2 1920x1080 streams into one single 1920x1080 side by side (SBS) MKV, which is then playable on a media player, as the max resolution at the moment is 1080p for these players. Doing this means you lose 1/2 the picture quality. Something to be aware of before committing to ripping them instead of ISO'ing them.

Personally I'd like to do the same, but don't want to do it at the expense of lost picture quality.

So just doing a straight ISO rip via AnyDVD is the best streaming option at the moment (to prevent any loss of picture quality)?

Thanks!
post #4 of 21 Old 01-13-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
MakeMKV rips MVC MKVs, haven't tried it myself though.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5 of 21 Old 01-14-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 52
MakeMKV rips the full resolution MVC 3D, not SBS. Mede8er is the only media player that can play these in full 3D. You just need to add "3DTAB" or just "TB" in the filename. Read more here. Don't worry, it doesn't mean top/bottom half-rez 3D, rather it's a trigger to get Mede8er to play the file like a 3D BD-ISO.

I recently re-ripped all my 100+ 3D BD's to MVC MKV for two key reasons: no annoying hiccups in seamless branching movies (namely Disney's "Toy Story", "Monsters, Inc.", etc.) and getting only forced subtitles add in the MKV separately (which Mede8er doesn't recognize in ISO). If I ever want an ISO again, it's easy via the new tsMuxeR here.

Finally, another side benefit of MVC MKV is that XBMC will play these, not as 3D, but at least as 2D. If ISO, you'd need to set-up an external player, which is a little kludgy.
turls likes this.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #6 of 21 Old 01-14-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

MakeMKV rips the full resolution MVC 3D, not SBS. Mede8er is the only media player that can play these in full 3D. You just need to add "3DTAB" or just "TB" in the filename. Read more here. Don't worry, it doesn't mean top/bottom half-rez 3D, rather it's a trigger to get Mede8er to play the file like a 3D BD-ISO.

I recently re-ripped all my 100+ 3D BD's to MVC MKV for two key reasons: no annoying hiccups in seamless branching movies (namely Disney's "Toy Story", "Monsters, Inc.", etc.) and getting only forced subtitles add in the MKV separately (which Mede8er doesn't recognize in ISO). If I ever want an ISO again, it's easy via the new tsMuxeR here.

Finally, another side benefit of MVC MKV is that XBMC will play these, not as 3D, but at least as 2D. If ISO, you'd need to set-up an external player, which is a little kludgy.

I did a Google search after techflaws said MVC MKV and voila, found the Mede8er thread you linked to. Finally stopped using the trial version of MakeMKV and purchased a license so I am good to go. Can't wait!

Until now I have only been using MakeMKV for the few DVD's I have in my collection. If I understand it correctly, for Blu-ray rips using MakeMKV, it's recommended to turn-off AnyDVD and let MakeMKV handle decryption, correct? Or does it not hurt to leave AnyDVD running in the background like normal (I thought a warning window pops-up when running MakeMKV and AnyDVD at the same time for Blu-ray rips)?

Thanks!
post #7 of 21 Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Having AnyDVD running in the background doesn't hurt MakeMKV, but I first try MakeMKV by disabling AnyDVD. However, Slysoft is better and faster (with new discs) at updating their copy-protection decryptions than MakeMKV. So, when MakeMKV sometimes fails to rip, I first rip to ISO via AnyDVD, then mount that ISO with Virtual CloneDrive, then use MakeMKV to rip. In this case, I leave AnyDVD running while MakeMKV is ripping.

The other issue with MakeMKV is that it isn't always good at catching forced subs. For this, I rely on this forum-maintained list to check which subtitle track I need to keep.
turls likes this.

post #8 of 21 Old 01-14-2014, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Having AnyDVD running in the background doesn't hurt MakeMKV, but I first try MakeMKV by disabling AnyDVD. However, Slysoft is better and faster (with new discs) at updating their copy-protection decryptions than MakeMKV. So, when MakeMKV sometimes fails to rip, I first rip to ISO via AnyDVD, then mount that ISO with Virtual CloneDrive, then use MakeMKV to rip. In this case, I leave AnyDVD running while MakeMKV is ripping.

The other issue with MakeMKV is that it isn't always good at catching forced subs. For this, I rely on this forum-maintained list to check which subtitle track I need to keep.

For standard Blu-ray rips, I use ClownBD to rip the video, HD audio, and all English subtitles to the hard drive then check the log file after completion for any forced subtitles. If there are, I extract all forced subtitles from the appropriate subtitle track using BDSup2Sub and then convert to .srt using Subtitle Edit and then remux the video, audio, and .srt file using mkvmerge (.mkv). Otherwise if no forced subs I remux using TSMuxeR (.ts).

Is there a similar process I can use for 3D Blu-ray forced subs? Will ClownBD extract the video, audio, and subtitles from a 3D Blu-ray like a normal 2D Blu-ray that I can then use the above process on (except I would be using MakeMKV to make the final .mkv file of course)?

I only ask because I like double checking every movie I rip for forced subs on my own.....nothing more frustrating then ripping a movie, watching it, and wondering "What the heck did they just say?"
post #9 of 21 Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I was doing something similar to you with 2D BD's, but MakeMKV is so easy, I just use it, then rely on the forced subs list, or sometimes via trial and error, to get forced subs included in my MKV's. Forced subs can sometimes be a real pain, no doubt. For 3D, I don't think there's a ClownBD process, but Damian would know if yes. You could try PM'ing him.

post #10 of 21 Old 01-14-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was doing something similar to you with 2D BD's, but MakeMKV is so easy, I just use it, then rely on the forced subs list, or sometimes via trial and error, to get forced subs included in my MKV's. Forced subs can sometimes be a real pain, no doubt. For 3D, I don't think there's a ClownBD process, but Damian would know if yes. You could try PM'ing him.

I feel dumb now, because I never have just 3D for a movie, I always have the 2D version of the movie ripped as well.....so all I need to do is check the existing 2D movie rip I have before ripping the 3D version. Voila.

Thanks again.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-15-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
How about ripping movie from anydvd and using dvdfab to extract main movie only? Do you see any problems with the quality? I believe it extracts in m2ts and puts in ISO.

One thing I observed is the forward is not working properly. Is anybody using dvdfab to extract movie and any feedback?
post #12 of 21 Old 01-15-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

You can do this, letting DVDFab save the movie only as ISO or "passthrough" MKV. However, I've found it to be a hit and miss, more the latter. Often times, I ended up with the 2D version (even though I selected 3D) and other times a smaller filesize (like 8GB for a 32GB feature) that wouldn't open. Other times, it did work, so I don't trust DVDFab's results as much as I MakeMKV and AnyDVD's.

post #13 of 21 Old 01-15-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

You can do this, letting DVDFab save the movie only as ISO or "passthrough" MKV. However, I've found it to be a hit and miss, more the latter. Often times, I ended up with the 2D version (even though I selected 3D) and other times a smaller filesize (like 8GB for a 32GB feature) that wouldn't open. Other times, it did work, so I don't trust DVDFab's results as much as I MakeMKV and AnyDVD's.

If it is reliable, I will choose "movie only ISO". Why would you choose "pass thorugh mkv"? Is it for player compatibility? I use Dune 3d player.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-15-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe "passthrough" MKV gets you a MVC MKV, only compatible with Mede8er.

post #15 of 21 Old 01-16-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

hit and miss on the mkv or both iso and mkv?
post #16 of 21 Old 01-17-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, from my experience. I have over 1,500 BD rips. MakeMKV worked 90% of the time. When not, used with AnyDVD, then MakeMKV on that. If still a no go, used DVDFab.

post #17 of 21 Old 01-18-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Yes, from my experience. I have over 1,500 BD rips. MakeMKV worked 90% of the time. When not, used with AnyDVD, then MakeMKV on that. If still a no go, used DVDFab.

So MakeMKV probably doesn't work because it doesn't update the encryption schemes/keys as often as AnyDvd?
post #18 of 21 Old 01-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Brajesh
How are you finding Anydvd and DVDFAB on the computer at the same time.
In the past had clashes with Anydvd with other programs
I dont like the new DVDFAB and thinking of switching
Did have big problem with DVDFAB with Dredd which had both 2D and 3d on the disc
Would only get the 2D version thru fab
What would be the best way to do Dredd
thanks

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #19 of 21 Old 01-18-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
TsMuxer3D with AnyDVD or DVDFab Passkey in the background.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #20 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So MakeMKV probably doesn't work because it doesn't update the encryption schemes/keys as often as AnyDvd?
For the few discs it initially doesn't work on, yes, I believe it's due to it being a little late compared to AnyDVD in updating its encryption schemes/keys.
Quote:
How are you finding Anydvd and DVDFAB on the computer at the same time.
I don't run both at the same time. I disable one while using the other, unless I had used AnyDVD to rip the ISO and trying DVDFab to spit out the movie-only ISO or MKV (when MakeMKV didn't work).
Quote:
What would be the best way to do Dredd
I don't recall if I had an issue with this disc. I'd try ripping to complete disc ISO with either AnyDVD or DVDFab, then mount that ISO (with Virtual CloneDrive or similar), then try MakeMKV to rip to MVC MKV. If you want an ISO instead, then just AnyDVD.
Quote:
I dont like the new DVDFAB and thinking of switching
I use it only when AnyDVD or MakeMKV fail on me, which is rare.

post #21 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thankyou Brajesh for your help might give anydvd a go then

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw600es