Simple.TV DVR for Cord-Cutters at CES 2014 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-14-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 2731

I cancelled my cable subscription about two years ago, and put the money towards a faster internet connection. However, sometimes I wish I could record certain programs—In my case, that's usually sports-related. I've tried PC-based DVR solutions but they are finicky and besides, I hate the idea of wasting PC resources on a task as mundane as recording television shows.

PBS, CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX are all available on the airwaves

Enter SimpleTV, a product I bumped into as I checked out the Digital Experience, a pre-CES press event. It's a VR for antenna owners. Digital HDTV is in the airwaves, I receive all of the major channels using a $10 RCA antenna. Larger, roof-mounted antennas can easily capture broadcasts from about fifty miles away. Depending on where you live, that can add up to quite a few channels—plus broadcast HDTV typically looks better than cable—football fans take note, you might just want to watch the game through an antenna, even if you have cable already!

Simple.TV's box contains two tuners, and once it's hooked up it costs nothing but a few pennies worth of electricity to operate. It will stream recorded programming throughout a home and on the road, as well as send the streams to a Roku via a dedicated channel.

The Simple.TV box is available for pre-order through numerous vendors for approximately $200. Does anyone here find this functionality interesting or useful?

Return to CES Master Post

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Ces 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page