Time to lose the discs! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The kdlinks player (realtek 1186) supports seamless branching titles with a full disc rip. Luckily these disc are pretty rare in my experience. It is far more challenging to select the correct playlist for titles that have multiple, i.e. Red 2.

Kdlinks also supports chapters too which lead me to believe it is reading the mpls file. Whether it is reading the correct mpls, as you mentioned, could be an issue. However, i have not experienced this problem yet with this player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 01-22-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoad View Post

ok, though at that point, xbmc can also do that, so wouldn't an xbmc box (say a NUC) be best?
I don't know anything about XBMC. This discussion is specific to the WD Live-SMP's capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoad View Post

I'd also note that libbluray is making slow but steady progress, I still have high hopes for it being able to handle bdj reliably one day.
I love open source projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

The kdlinks player (realtek 1186) supports seamless branching titles with a full disc rip. Luckily these disc are pretty rare in my experience. It is far more challenging to select the correct playlist for titles that have multiple, i.e. Red 2.

Kdlinks also supports chapters too which lead me to believe it is reading the mpls file.
See now that is a good example. It supports chapter skip so it has to be processing the playlist.

The issue with the WD Live is that historically it does not process the playlist and only played the largest .m2ts file in the STREAM folder. So if the title is authored as seamless branching it will play the largest segment which will probably not be the first segment. The line in the release notes for the latest firmware update reads:

"Resolved some BD ISO movies not playing from the beginning."

That could mean any number of things. Techflaws reports that he observes seamless branched titles now play from the beginning. Is that because they implemented playlist processing? Or is it because they changed the previous behavior from play largest file to play segments in numerical order -- with no regard to playlist processing? The lack of chapter support makes me suspect the latter -- which will not work for all seamless branched titles because I have seen more than a few that do not have segments in numerical order in the playlist. That's why I would like to verify the observation.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #33 of 40 Old 01-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

+1, techflaws?
post #34 of 40 Old 01-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

ok boys. Take Wyatt Earp for example. Full BD rip. Here is what it looks like in bdinfo:

I went to the STREAM folder in the wdtv and hit "play" It played both 00000.m2ts and 00025.m2ts files in order. There are several files in between 00000 and 00025 as shown in the pic below:

I swapped the 0000 and 00025 files and their file names. It played them in order, meaning it played 00000 first and then 00025. The resulting movie was played backwards. This confirms that it is not playing the largest file first since 00025 is smaller than 00000.

I took 00025 and renamed it to something else and after playing 00000.m2ts it started playing some other random m2ts file.

Lastly, I cut the 00000.mpls file from the rip. When pressing "Play" on the STREAM folder, it started playing the wrong title (title 00013.m2ts, a special features clip).

Thus, it is reading the .mpls. And it is not utilizing chapter points. So it supports seamless branching. And now we have something else to request in the next FW update. biggrin.gif

(When I removed the main playlist why it decided to play title 13 is a mystery. It did not play the next available playlist and it did not resort to the largest/first m2ts file.) Interesting.
post #35 of 40 Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@johnBlanker
Please navigate into the PLAYLIST folder and select a playlist. Let's see what happens.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #36 of 40 Old 01-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

I cant. It says there is no media in the folder. Do my findings not exhaust all possible variables?
post #37 of 40 Old 01-23-2014, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I just find it odd that WD would go through the trouble of implementing support for a BD playlists to handle seamless branching and yet not bother to support the chapter points that are also in the playlist.

I find a lot of things odd when it comes to WDTV firmwares (e.g. missing forced flag support) which is why I find your take on those 16 firmware updates too optimistic. But anyway, I've tested this with Avatar cause - while probably not as complex as Monsters University - it still comes with three versions on one disc: regular, extended theatrical, extended collector's cut. The WDTV starts with the 20th Century Fox logo instead of the largest m2ts (00024.m2ts = Grace and Sully trying to stop Selfridge from ordering the attack) and shows a runtime of 2:58:25 wich is not listed in BDInfo (2:58:09, 2:50:34, etc.). I've skipped through the movie and it seems to be in the right order. I won't be investing much time into further tests though, cause I'm gonna stick with MKV.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #38 of 40 Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

I cant. It says there is no media in the folder.
If the Live-SMP supported playlists, I find it odd that it won't even recognize the file type. I'm not sure what is going on. I'm going to need to generate my own primary data.

- kelson h

post #39 of 40 Old 01-23-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

which is why I find your take on those 16 firmware updates too optimistic.
My take on the 16 firmware updates has always been that WD continues to actively support a 2yr old product with both bug fixes and feature enhancements. Compare that with any number of other players that come on the market and offer maybe 1 or 2 FW updates to make the thing "work" then bail on any continuing support or investment while they come out with the next model.
SonicLogic likes this.

- kelson h

post #40 of 40 Old 01-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Well, aside from the first two tests, I took the playlist file out of the rip entirely. When pressing play on the stream folder it proceeded to play a random title. Isn't that evidence enough that it is reading the playlist?

As far as "Will it play the correct playlist?" well, that is different. It seems to me that any player that has java will play the correct playlist 100% of the time. I'm talking PS3/4, set-top boxes. Is there any way to identify what playlist they are using?

I find this so odd that we are so much in the dark when it comes to BD build structure. A disc like Red 2 has 4 or so playlists with the same runtime. There has got to be a way to know for sure which playlist a BD-J player would choose.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Synology Diskstation 5 Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage Ds1512 , Western Digital Wdtv Full Hd Media Player Recertified
Gear in this thread - Ds1512 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page