Networking question - WiFi/Ethernet converter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-18-2014, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have a question for the crowd here..

I recently moved to a new apartment that I thought was wired from home networking, but apparently the leasing manager misled me and that's not entirely true. The old apartment which I just moved from did have a wired home network (I had moved in there more than 10 years ago, so the infrastructure wasn't as big on WiFi) and included a few devices that don't have WiFi capability. So at the new apartment, this is turning into somewhat of a problem.

I have my cable modem/wireless router from the cable company (a Ubee DVW3201B), but it's in a different room from a couple of devices I have that don't have WiFi capability. I also happen to have another wireless router (a Netgear WNDR3400) which isn't currently hooked up to anything. A couple of people I've talked to have suggested getting an ethernet converter, but before I go in that direction.. is there any way to bridge the 2 routers onto the same wireless network? It's not an option to run cables between them. Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer up some advice.

This is television. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-19-2014, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Get powerline adapters from netgear or Zyxel, they will send ethernet over power cables, the devices are synced to each other so it's not a blind broadcast across all the power lines in the building or floor.

For the WNDR3400 to work it would need to work as an ethernet to wireless bridge which is probably doesn't, you could see if there is DD-WRT firmware available for it which would give that option.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-19-2014, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Some netgears have the wireless bridge mode or WDS repeater mode. However when using a repeater they halve your bandwidth.

I would recommend homeplug adapters and both Amped and Netgear make great ones.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Agree with comments. Use a power line solution to extend Ethernet

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Powerline-500Mbps-Adapter-XAVB5201/dp/B009WG6JF8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390159147&sr=1-2&keywords=netgear+powerline+adapter

Then use the 3400 as an access point.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page