Trying to get AllShare and TV to recognize usb/router connected Network drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

Hope I am in the right spot with my question/problem.

Appreciate any feedback whatsoever, thanks.

My setup:

TV: Samsung PN51D6500 (Smart & Allshare) vers. 17 update.

Laptop: Running Windows 7 pro 64 bit

Router: Linksys WiFi N750

Networked Hardrive USB connected to above router. Its a WD 1TB with movie library

All device access is wireless.

Also using Chromecast on a hdmi port on tv.

I am using the latest version of Allshare Ver. 2.1.0.12031_10 recently downloaded (2 wks ago).

I have no seeming problems using Allshare with all desired connectivity and viewing...except...that the router attached drive is not recognized(**) by Allshare nor the TV.

The drive is mapped and access to the contents are accessible by the Windows network and other devices on it (except the tv). The TV is recognized as a device by Windows and AllShare.

** caveat here...a drop down window clicking on “My Computers Shared Folders” within Allshare does show such folders on the laptop including those on the network drive (but no contents). If I attempt to access/copy a folder off the drive, Allshare crashes.

Is AllShare shy about router attached drives? Or have I missed a setting.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In the router setup for the usb attached storage, check if there if an option to turn on upnp. If there is turn that on, rid your laptop of allshare. Your router should then show up as a source attached to your Samsung tv, I used to do it this way with my netgear router.

HTC One
post #3 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply fmed. Yes, the UpNp is/was activated on the router. I took up your suggestion and uninstalled AllShare off the laptop. There is still no recognition of the router attached drive as a "source" on the TV dropdown menu of sources, unfortunately. The TV however does recognize shared music, video, photos on my laptop. I assume this is being picked up by the TV's AllShare setup. 

post #4 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The linksys router requires a UPnP/DLNA media server in order for the USB attached drive to be visible on the TV, the UPnP toggle on the router is related to automated port mapping (which should be enabled) but it is not a media server.

According to this guide there is a media server tab on the USB storage control panel in the linksys, thats what you turn on.

However be aware Samsung use a custom version of DLNA, third party DLNA servers require compatibility profiles to work properly with Samsung TV's if the linksys server does not have these then it may work but some functions may not work right e.g. pause or may not work at all.

Allshare is pretty terrible if you want a good DLNA server for the PC use Mezzmo or Serviio.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 AM

Can't go wrong with Mezzmo or Serviio, tried both and ended up buying Mezzmo.

HTC One
post #6 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 06:07 AM

I read the guide posted by Alx330, according to it, you don't need a seperate media server software installed on your pc. What it does say, is that a UPnP/DLNA device, example your tv, is required to access content. But as Alx330 stated, third party media server software have better DLNA device compatibility.

HTC One
post #7 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your responses...I may have found the problem...my router (n750/EA3500) though on website and packaging makes specific reference to DLNA support and Smart tv compatibility...I now find is NOT. Incredible. I had a chat with Linksys whose agent referring to his knowledge base is adamant that my router does NOT support DLNA and provided me with models (4500 & 6500) that do.

Your clue re the Dlna tab for the storage got me going...thanks..there wasnt one...but I figured it may have been built- in since their website mentioned it's availability. There should be compensation for time wasted and angst thru incorrect spec posting for products!! :)

post #8 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

An update to my issues. I spent quite a bit of time with the Linksys people to have them clarify/admit to the DLNA availability issue. While I actually have a copy of the chat I had where the "analyst"  wrote that dlna was NOT available on my unit, the next individual disagreed and indicated it in fact did. Terribly disappointed with this co. I decided to download Mezzmo and behold, it actually recognized the router attached drive, the TV in turn recognized the same ...so all is well it seems for the time being. I shall continue to play around with it to get a feel for how to arrange my collection and buy it. Rather spend the $30 here than on another possibly more expensive router and for dlna to still be an issue either with the router or Allshare or indeed the TV. Mezzmo seems to have cut thru the clutter.

Again, thanks for the feedback.  

post #9 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 04:27 PM

Mezzmo is great! It's what I use to stream to 3 separate Samsung tv's.

HTC One
post #10 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrese View Post

. Rather spend the $30 here than on another possibly more expensive router and for dlna to still be an issue either with the router or Allshare or indeed the TV. Mezzmo seems to have cut thru the clutter.

Again, thanks for the feedback.  

Mezzmo is not a bad intermediate step, I used it when I tried to use my Samsung TV media stuff. Limited at best. I'd opt for another $20 and get a recertified WD SMP -- a real media streamer. it will do things your samsung never will.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Samsung Pn51d6500 51 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page