802.11ac for streaming 1:1 Blu-ray ISO over Home Network - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just moved into a home here in Southern California; looking for some advice on Home Networking.

Essentially I'm looking for advice from actual users of 802.11ac to stream 1:1 BD ISO rips over wifi. I know it's possible and a lot of people are using it. I've read plenty of reviews with real world testing of streaming full BD ISO rips over ac wifi.

I have an HTPC that houses all my media, including full BD ISO rips, amongst other high bitrate MKV's, etc. This is in my Home Theater. In my bedroom I have the Dune Smart D1 network media player. The Home Theater and the Bedroom are separated by a Living Room in the middle, but are on the same level.

Previously I was in a little apartment where I was running an Ethernet Cable to stream the media; I've looked at all options for running the cable in this home and it's somewhat impossible. I'd like to use the 802.11ac wifi to do the same. I've used 5Ghz N band to stream in the past and all but my 1:1 BD ISO's were able to stream ... since 802.11ac can handle full BD ISO's, I'd like to use that.

What I primarily want advice on to begin with:

- What Router/Adapter should I get (Brand/Model). If someone has experience doing what I'm doing and successfully stream BD ISO's, I'd be interested to get the same brand/model as you have.
- Since I'm streaming from a Windows 8 PC to a Dune Smart D1, how do I get this networking to work ... do I need to 2 Routers?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs up Blu Ray on 802.11ac Works for me!

Hi Mate,

I also have a dune smart D1...actually I have 2 ( 1 hard wired to my router in my bedroom, and another connected via a bridged router in the living room.

I use 2 Netgear 802.11ac routers ( 1 x R7000 as the main router, 1 x R6300 as a bridge).

I also run a Logitech HD Skype camera off the R6300 to make Skype calls off the TV! its great!

I set up the R6300 in bridge mode in the living room. It is probably about 30 to 50 feet away from the main router in my bedroom, I get about 800MB/s connection speeds between the two which I easily enough to stream 1:1 Blu ray movies (main movie only) with the HD audio too. So far it works great.... I had a bit of stuttering with the R6300 originally so I got the new R7000 nighthawk which is much faster as the main router and now use the R6300 as the bridge.

If you want to stream blu rays without running cabling through your house this is the way to go.

Netgear have already got a new router coming out this month that is a tri-band 802.11ac router, which has 2 separate bands for 802.11ac 5ghz and another for the 2.4Ghz. This means you can have more wireless clients running together at faster speeds at the same time. link below
http://www.netgear.com.au/home/produ...ers/R8000.aspx. Maybe you could by this as your main router...and get the R7000 as the bridge. This is what I plan to do.....
I will probably sell the R6300 to my brother!.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-03-2014, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Liked: 12
I stream Blu-Ray ISOs 1-1. Works great. Took years of trying but finally have consistently great results.

Windows 8.1 running on a Gigabyte Brix N2807 (a barebones, fanless Celeron 1.5GHz non-turbo). Ethernet wired.
3 USB 3.0 storage units, all different brands, 4 drives each. All on a single USB 3.0 hub and then into the Brix.
Data stored on 12 USB drives using Windows Storage Spaces.
ASUS AC68U router. Latest firmware.
Intel 7260 802.11ac mini-pci cards in notebooks. 5GHz connection only. 2.4GHz isn't fast enough.
VLC player. Requires mounting of ISO on local notebook. Then selecting Blu-Ray mounted drive.

All my notebooks are Windows 8.1 and can receive Blu-Ray ISO flawlessly, no stutters, no dropped frames. My ultimate test is always Star Trek 2009. The opening scene is brutal on a marginal network. The router is located 3m away and through one thick plaster wall.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #4 of 12 Old 07-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidvan79 View Post
Hi Mate,

I also have a dune smart D1...actually I have 2 ( 1 hard wired to my router in my bedroom, and another connected via a bridged router in the living room.

I use 2 Netgear 802.11ac routers ( 1 x R7000 as the main router, 1 x R6300 as a bridge).

I also run a Logitech HD Skype camera off the R6300 to make Skype calls off the TV! its great!

I set up the R6300 in bridge mode in the living room. It is probably about 30 to 50 feet away from the main router in my bedroom, I get about 800MB/s connection speeds between the two which I easily enough to stream 1:1 Blu ray movies (main movie only) with the HD audio too. So far it works great.... I had a bit of stuttering with the R6300 originally so I got the new R7000 nighthawk which is much faster as the main router and now use the R6300 as the bridge.

If you want to stream blu rays without running cabling through your house this is the way to go.

Netgear have already got a new router coming out this month that is a tri-band 802.11ac router, which has 2 separate bands for 802.11ac 5ghz and another for the 2.4Ghz. This means you can have more wireless clients running together at faster speeds at the same time. link below
http://www.netgear.com.au/home/produ...ers/R8000.aspx. Maybe you could by this as your main router...and get the R7000 as the bridge. This is what I plan to do.....
I will probably sell the R6300 to my brother!.

Excellent advice and this is the way to go. Regarding the Netgear R8000 see my thread in AVS introducing this router. In your case if you will want to be streaming BR while others in your home are actively using wireless and want to ensure best performance for all then the R8000 is the way to go plus either an R7000 or a R6300 Netgear as a bridge. Otherwise either 2 R7000 or 1R7000 and a R6300 will do the trick as stated above.

Bob Silver Netgear AV Consultant
post #5 of 12 Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 PM

Blu Ray ISO over 802.11ac wifi

Here is my setup demonstrated on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFG7...ature=youtu.be
post #6 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
To keep it simple, you'll want to get the best router which means you'll probably want:

NetGear R7000
or
Asus RT AC66U
or
Asus RT AC68U

Either way, your gonna be into the router about $200.

You can cheap out on the clients, though. There's not much out there in the way of AC adapters so I would just pick up a couple of these for locations to be bridged:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-177-_-Product

Most of the reviews are negative because the Atheros chip it uses seems to really struggle with Apple devices as well as firmware glitches previous to the release of v2 and an updated firmware this spring.

They are easy to set up in bridge mode and I have measured wireless bitrates up to 450Mbps, typically running about 380Mbps, plenty for BR ISO. Of course, distance and obstructions will make a difference. You may need to play with the antenna and/or orientation of the devices at their respective locations. I know I was able to bump my bitrate 100Mbps+ by simply moving the bridge to the right 4 feet (farther away, actually) and hence, avoiding some metal ducting. 5Ghz is so stinking sensitive to obstructions.

Last edited by smitbret; 07-08-2014 at 05:55 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-09-2014, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
just ordered an Asus AC66U. i should receive it from Amazon this friday and will test and report here if you want

Currently I use wifi N but in an old house with huge walls so i don't get more than 30/50mbs (70mbs max when everything is perfect...) between actual router and my PC on first floor which is definitively not enough for streaming HD content.

If I see a huge bump in transfer speed I will be extremely happy I don't ask for the full 1Gbs, but 300mbs will be more than enough.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-09-2014, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
just ordered an Asus AC66U. i should receive it from Amazon this friday and will test and report here if you want

Currently I use wifi N but in an old house with huge walls so i don't get more than 30/50mbs (70mbs max when everything is perfect...) between actual router and my PC on first floor which is definitively not enough for streaming HD content.
Max bitrate for Blueray is 40Mbps, although most movies don't stream at that rate...it's important to setup QoS on the AP to give priority to video, that way other devices accessing the wi-fi don't interrupt the stream. The speeds you listed above should be fast enough for HD content, unless your listing radio rate speeds and not ethernet speeds (ethernet speeds are generally 1/2 what radio rate speeds are).

Also 802.11ac will be useless if you're end points don't support 802.11ac as well.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-09-2014, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

my PC supports AC of course

bitrate is not everything as you say and my main problem is that it's currently absolutely not stable, ranging from 29mbs to 70mbs max with an average around 32/39mbs (those are radio rates). Which is not enough for me to stream any HD content...

Unfortunately I use my cable box as router and it's a very poor router without any minimum functionalities, maybe changing it for a proper N router would have been enough, but i wanted to go for the AC at least to be a bit future proof.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
my PC supports AC of course

bitrate is not everything as you say and my main problem is that it's currently absolutely not stable, ranging from 29mbs to 70mbs max with an average around 32/39mbs (those are radio rates).
If 70Mbps is max radio rate, this tells me you've got the router setup using only a 20MHz channel, if you set up the AP to use a 20/40MHz use you will have twice the speeds you're getting now (barring the noise floor/interference is acceptable)...but in any case you should see much better speeds with the 802.11ac router.

That being said, 802.11n should have no problem streaming bluray video when setup correctly and interference is light.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

unfortunately my router is on 20/40Mhz. I made some tests, just going out of the room where the PC is (but still to the first floor, close to the stairs) bumps my rate to 130mbs. On the same floor as the router I can reach 170mbs. I already had 240mbs with other routers when traveling.

I think that my router is very bad (that's not a dedicated one as I use my cable STB for that). There's also the fact the I'm in a city center and a simple NetSurveyor test shows 43 Wifi networks in the neighborhood, with most 2.4Ghz channels full (and I guess that 5Ghz is the same...).
post #12 of 12 Old 07-10-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
unfortunately my router is on 20/40Mhz. I made some tests, just going out of the room where the PC is (but still to the first floor, close to the stairs) bumps my rate to 130mbs. On the same floor as the router I can reach 170mbs. I already had 240mbs with other routers when traveling.

I think that my router is very bad (that's not a dedicated one as I use my cable STB for that). There's also the fact the I'm in a city center and a simple NetSurveyor test shows 43 Wifi networks in the neighborhood, with most 2.4Ghz channels full (and I guess that 5Ghz is the same...).
I agree, I would never try to stream BR Rips over wireless N. I've never been able to have good, stable playback that let me FF/Rew, etc. with any kind of quality even when running 20/40MHz from my router and clients.

For BR, it's AC or wired.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page