Merging two MKV's (The Hobit 3D Part 1 and 2) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fmedrano1977

post #1 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Now that I am getting back into 3D and have a player capable of streaming MKV MVC's (Mede8er 600X3D), I am re-buying my 3D Blu-ray collection and ripping them to my computer for streaming using MakeMKV to rip movie only streams in MKV MVC format.

Upon researching which 3D Blu-rays are worth buying, I saw that The Hobbit 3D is split into two movies, which means I will have an .mkv for Part 1 and an .mkv for Part 2. Is there a simple program (free) that will take both parts and make a single MKV I can stream? I know there will still be the black frame sequence at the end of part 1 and beginning of part 2 in the combined MKV stream, that's fine with me. I just want to be able to point the Mede8er to one mkv file and have it play continuously, start to finish. So the easiest way to turn the two parts into one is appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
MKVToolNix / MKVmerge has an "append" function that will do this (as long as the two files have the same format & resolution).

It's very widely used freeware:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/
post #3 of 17 Old 01-22-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have used this merge feature and never had good results, I just decided to leave it at 2 MKV files, it would of been nice to be able to merge them, but every time I tried, the video and audio would wind up out of sync or the video would stop at some point altogether.

BenQ W1080ST
125" Elite Screen
Denon AVR S710W
Paradigm Home Speaker set 5.1 Cinema 100
Harmony 650
Asus Chromebox
post #4 of 17 Old 02-18-2015, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Found this thread in my searches. ash_man, as bb80301 says, using "append" works. Append is different than merging. I just did this with my Desolation of Smaug 3D parts, and it works.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-18-2015, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by rplotkin View Post
Found this thread in my searches. ash_man, as bb80301 says, using "append" works. Append is different than merging. I just did this with my Desolation of Smaug 3D parts, and it works.
Chapters didn't break on part 2?

Looky here!
post #6 of 17 Old 02-19-2015, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Kodi supports "stacking" which plays part1 followed directly by part 2... I use this for my LotR extended versions.

Just read the Kodi wiki for video stacking.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-19-2015, 08:16 AM

Sorry, I didn't check chapters; I so rarely use them, I didn't think to check. I'll do so and get back.

Brian, that works _great_ for the 2D stuff. The 3D stuff has to open in an external player (and Stereoscopic Player is the _only_ external player that plays back the MVC MKV correctly). As far as I know (though I'd be thrilled to be wrong), Kodi won't string together part1 and part2 into an external player. I'll check tonight, anyhow.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplotkin View Post
Sorry, I didn't check chapters; I so rarely use them, I didn't think to check. I'll do so and get back.

Brian, that works _great_ for the 2D stuff. The 3D stuff has to open in an external player (and Stereoscopic Player is the _only_ external player that plays back the MVC MKV correctly). As far as I know (though I'd be thrilled to be wrong), Kodi won't string together part1 and part2 into an external player. I'll check tonight, anyhow.
Neat... please check and let me know. I am fairly new to Kodi and I'm liking it a lot. I use a Chromebox so I don't think there's anyway I can setup a player for MVC MKV. Windows can run on Chromebox from what I've read but HDMI audio doesn't work.... Anyways,... I'm eager to hear your findings. I eventually want to get MVC MKV setup for Kodi. I managed to get top and bottom working from Kodi just this AM but that's a re-encode that takes a day of CPU time and reduces the quality as well.

ANyways, good luck,

Brian
post #9 of 17 Old 03-09-2015, 02:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I just used this append feature on Desolation of Smaug and Battle of Five Armies. It absolutely works, the key to the chapters is to renumber the chapters in disk 2 to continue where disc one left off. Battle of Five, disk one has 23 chapters, disk 2 should start with chapter 24.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-09-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post
I just used this append feature on Desolation of Smaug and Battle of Five Armies. It absolutely works, the key to the chapters is to renumber the chapters in disk 2 to continue where disc one left off. Battle of Five, disk one has 23 chapters, disk 2 should start with chapter 24.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
Even thought they are not 3D, I think I will do this for my extended editions of LotR.

May take a while ... since they already work as is. But, I think this idea is better.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-10-2015, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post

Sent from my HTC One_M8
How do I rename chapters? I have done some googling but all I can find says you edit the mkv's xml file. My videos were ripped with makemkv there is no xml file?
post #12 of 17 Old 03-11-2015, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluc View Post
How do I rename chapters? I have done some googling but all I can find says you edit the mkv's xml file. My videos were ripped with makemkv there is no xml file?
I renamed them in makemkv, on the left side where you select video, audio, subtitles, etc.. Expand chapters, select a chapter and you will get a text box on the right side where you can change the name to the chapter.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
post #13 of 17 Old 03-11-2015, 02:18 AM

I found where to do it in mkvmerge up top click chapter editor next to muxing then select load- select the video it will then allow renaming of chapters good to know can also do it in makemkv. Works great btw. going to be epic watching lotr and hobbit as two movies insteade of 6
post #14 of 17 Old 03-11-2015, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Red face

I use a free program called AVIDEMUX on Windows with great success. It can append, convert formats, edit all sort of formats. I also use it converting MKV to MP4 without re-encoding in minutes. Check it out.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-19-2015, 08:31 PM

Wondering what did you all do about the credits did you just remove the last chapter (is it only credits in last chapter) then add them back on end of movie? or did you have to use a splitter to cut the movie if that later how do you add it back to the end or did you all not bother with the credits? My movies are 3d mvc mkv files.

Last edited by bluc; 03-19-2015 at 08:37 PM.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-20-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Even thought they are not 3D, I think I will do this for my extended editions of LotR.

May take a while ... since they already work as is. But, I think this idea is better.
You'll have to be careful with the LOTR trilogy. IIRC at least two of the movies have several black frames in the beginning of the second disc which could screw up the a/v sync.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-20-2015, 01:26 AM

Liked: 0
3d hobbit

I worked it out. Everything works fine.The Hobbit 3D works. Yours

Last edited by Sentiel; 04-23-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page