Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-23-2014, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello All,

I'm new in this forum... :-)

Today i have Xtreamer Prodigy and i'm using it for 1080 movies, 3D movies and Flac files.

To be honest i'm not satisfied with this product (i have it almost 3 years), and i would like to upgrade this to some Hi End Media Streamer with a budget of 700 euros.

I tried to search in the internet and i didn't find something good that can cover all this in Hi End product.

I found only Dune HD Base 3d, but i don't know what are the reviews on this product....

Can you please help me to choose the best solution for my needs.

Thanks,

Lior.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-23-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For that kind of money, I would either build a nice NUC based HTPC or wait for the 4K players with support for x265 files. Since you have managed for 3 years, hold on another 6 months or so.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

can you please tell me more on NUC, because i don't know this at all.

Thanks, Lior.

post #4 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LioriK View Post

Hello All,

I'm new in this forum... :-)
i would like to upgrade this to some Hi End Media Streamer with a budget of 700 euros.

I found only Dune HD Base 3d, but i don't know what are the reviews on this product....

Thanks,
Lior.

Dune is good.
Actually mede8er, oppo, dune are all good.

Here are others.
http://www.bevixtech.com/product/
post #5 of 20 Old 01-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Dune is really the most high end player out there, but that's doesn't mean much. Having a lot of $ to throw at a player does not indicate what you are looking for it to do. You might not need a player more than $100 USD. But again, what do you not like about your current player, and what are you looking for in your new player?

A computer vs. a streaming box is usually the main debate. Every streaming box (Dune/medi8er/netgear/wdtv. etc) all have their own pro's/cons. Building a dedicated pc to use as a HTPC (which you could definitely do with that budget) is arguably is the best route to go especially if you can't live with the shortcomings of the media streamers. However, this carries the extra burden of spending the time that usually comes with tinkering/maintaining a computer.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

A NUC (next unit of computing) is basically a very small computer. They cost around $200-300 USD. You can look for them on Amazon. They are a great alternative for people that want the flexibility of a HTPC and SMALL size. These things are tiny. I use a wdtv live smp and a KDLinks 720 and they suit my needs far better than a HTPC, but this is my opinion.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. wink.gif
post #7 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Many thanks John for the detailed answer!

The things i do not like about my streamer Prodigy are:

1. The LAN is too slow 10/100 so when i'm downloading movies it is taking too much time to copy them to the streamer.

2. The prodigy gui is too slow.....

3. While you watch a movies and wants to stop or move forward it is too slow again....

4. The audio is not sufficient from my side, that's why i'm looking for some high end streamer

5. Prodigy not supporting all subtitles, sometime it is not presenting the subtitles even i'm selecting them....

6. 3D is not working so well...

and i have more... but these are the main pain points.

Regarding NUC, is there a high end for audio and video including 3D and some up-scaling the video 4K....

post #8 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
The current crop of NUC uses either the Bay Trail (low end) or Haswell (high end) CPU.

In terms of high end audio and video, what exactly are you looking for? Haswell can bitstream HD audio and reports say 24p the best yet on a PC. Here are some good perpectives from AnandTech http://www.anandtech.com/show/7007/intels-haswell-an-htpc-perspective

If you are looking for powerful custom video scaling and rendering you need a dedicated graphics card on a PC, which won't fit in a NUC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #9 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Something like this, a small form factor is sometimes a great bridge between a big tower and a NUC. With a NUC there are even compromises to be made.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!

Since i'm listening to FLAC audio that connect to DAC Magic Cambridge, i want to make sure i have high quality with the audio.

And regarding the video, i want to make sure the video will present in high quality more than the Prodigy, and of course the ability of 3D etc'.

post #11 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

It sounds like you need a HTPC. Since small size and simplicity is not on your list, I have a feeling that your not going to be happy with the shortcomings of a media streamer.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

The size is not the issue, but simplicity is important since i'm not the only one who will use this...

BTW- i saw the prices of the motherboard & the CPU that were mention above, and this is more that the budget i have...

Any suggestions?

post #13 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

I build with AMD components since they usually provide the best price/performance ratio. For a htpc you do not need anything fancy. A $80 mobo and a $80 cpu should be fine.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

what about the cover/case? remote control?

any recommendations?

post #15 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

When it comes to a HTPC, you decide on every component. Go on Newegg and take a look at the cases, big, small, dedicated HTPC cases. Tons to choose from. Google "htpc build" and you will find some examples. I don't do HTPC anymore. I ran a HTPC for years. Too much involved. Especially with BD rips. I used WMC and power dvd for Blu ray support. I have 3 zones in my house that I share media to over the network. No way I am going to be managing 3 extra computers, OS maintenance, driver updates, software updates, tinkering, bugs, and things that just generally don't work right all the time. That's why I switched to the streamer box. I never looked back.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 11:43 AM

Hey everyone, I am new here as well. I thought I would chime in though. I personally use a Lenovo Q150 as a dedicate htpc. It streams all of my movies that are stored on my main desktop. Pretty simple actually. On the htpc I use XBMC as my home theater software. I then control it using the XBMC app on my iPhone or iPad. The Q150 has hdmi and optical audio depending on your needs. Also has dedicated nvidia graphics card and all together is about the size of a router. The only issue I have with it, is it struggles streaming flash video from websites in full screen. Flash is a resource hog and the Q150 only has an intel atom 1.6ghz proc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #17 of 20 Old 01-28-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry, I was away for a while. I see people have answered op's question.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-31-2014, 08:03 AM

Just thought I would chime in here. I use a NAS box connected to an Intel NUC (Haswell) running Plex Server + Plex Home Theatre. The NUC reads the video files on the NAS box and because I run Plex I'm able to push the content to the Plex app on mobile devices (both Android and iOS). I'm really pleased with the setup because Plex is able to read the metadata i assigned to my .mp4 files using MetaX, but it wasn't cheap. Video/audio playback on the NUC is awesome
post #19 of 20 Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Plex is a DLNA streamer. You won't get dvd menu support using DLNA. You might not be able to play BD bdmv folder rips. You would have to know exactly which m2ts file to play and if it seamless branching files, forget it. For those that rip in native dvd/BD format.

But if people like to transcode their movies and stream them to every device in the house, I would say Plex is the most popular.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Let's says that i would like to go with HTPC, which processor, audio card, video card, keyboard & mouse you're recommended if i would like to install XBMC and to support 4K and if possible to be able to do upscalling.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Base3d Media Player , Kdlinks Hd720 Extreme Full Hd 1080p 3d Media Player With Internal Hdd Bay Gigabit Network Built In W
Gear in this thread - Hd720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page