Ludite Here. Please, Help Me Set Up a Wireless Music Throughout My Home! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-24-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everyone. I want to stream music throughout my apartment. I can not figure out which route to take and I need help. I heard Airplay does not have terrific sound quality and there are dropouts and clicks. I want to set up a premium sound system. I also DO NOT want to have my computer open all of the time. I have an iPhone and iPad and I would rather use these devices to access my music listings which are ripped using Apple Lossless. 

So what about Sonos? Well, I listened to their Play3 and Play5 speakers and I was underwhelmed. I don't want to go this route. But maybe there is a way I could still use Sonos Connect with some kick-ass audiophile speakers. So can I put my music on an external hard drive and connect it to the Sonos Connect? I have about 160 GB's of ALAC files. Why can't I put my music files on a USB Flash Drive and plug that into the Sonos Connect? Finally, what do I have to attach to the speakers so that the speakers can sync with the Connect? 

I have been reading about Skaa streaming too and apparently it's superior but there are not many products using Skaa. 

Is there a way to use the 1TB of storage on my Tivo Roamio Plus as a music server? Do I need a USB audio out? 

I am not sure what I am saying and I have not made any moves in buying anything because I am just so confused about this subject. I want to set-up three sets of speakers, one for my bedroom (with use of my TV), one in my system in my kitchen, and another in the family room.

Please help this Ludite! 

Thanks. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-24-2014, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I know you stated that you don't want to use your computer, but let me tell you how I did this in my apartment. I use ITunes with all music in Apple Lossless. I then purchased 2 ATV 3 units to stream music to my main system and my bedroom system. I find this provides me with an acceptable quality (in my opinion) of music. Of course, when I do serious listening, then I just play vinyl, SACDs or CDs on my main system. At $99 each, the ATV seems relatively inexpensive and is simple to set up. A side benefit is that you can use it for Netflix, Hulu. Youtube, etc.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page