Wireless Network Radio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I few years ago I got the wife a Sony Vaio VGF-WA1 radio and the thing has been great. It stream music off our server and has some internet radio from Radio 365. Well times are changing and the radio stations she wants are on IHeart radio. Well I can't seem to find any kind of direct streams to play those station in WMP, so we can't get them on her radio.

Looking for something similar to the VGF-WA1 that will get more internet radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-25-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Grace makes several levels of products including a stand alone receiver that is more like the old FM Tuners. Requires a connection to amp, speakers, etc. Its called the Mono.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #3 of 14 Old 01-27-2014, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank I will take a look at them. Not the greatest looking stuff, and the Mondo looks like it is only a single speaker?
post #4 of 14 Old 01-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I use a Roku XS get get iHeart stations. It has analog outputs that I run to my stereo. Only downside is you need to have it hooked up to a TV to start the various apps like Pandora and iHeartradio, but once the stations are running I can turn off the TV. While the XS is no longer made the Roku LT will work as well.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-27-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Not sure about which ones have which speaker config. I just know the entry level one, The Solo, has no speakers.

http://gracedigitalaudio.com/internet-radios-c-2.html

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #6 of 14 Old 01-27-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I need to have something totally self contained, speakers and all, think boom box that will stream from the net and shared files on a PC
post #7 of 14 Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

Not sure about which ones have which speaker config. I just know the entry level one, The Solo, has no speakers.

http://gracedigitalaudio.com/internet-radios-c-2.html

The Encore looks like the best one for sound, not crazy about the look and it says sold out but I haven't looked else where for it yet.

Also doesn't look like it runs on a rechargeable battery, has to be plugged in
post #8 of 14 Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

I few years ago I got the wife a Sony Vaio VGF-WA1 radio and the thing has been great. It stream music off our server and has some internet radio from Radio 365. Well times are changing and the radio stations she wants are on IHeart radio. Well I can't seem to find any kind of direct streams to play those station in WMP, so we can't get them on her radio.

Looking for something similar to the VGF-WA1 that will get more internet radio.
I'm not actually familiar with the VGF-WA1, but from the info that I've found it appears to be an early UPnP supporting network streamer and should be able to access UPnP/DLNA media servers other than the one provided by WMP. If that's the case then it may be possible to carry on using it by capturing the sound playing IHeart radio on the computer and network streaming it via UPnP to the Sony. There's a free UPnP/DLNA server that can do this for you, called Stream What You Hear, available here:
http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/download/
post #9 of 14 Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post

I'm not actually familiar with the VGF-WA1, but from the info that I've found it appears to be an early UPnP supporting network streamer and should be able to access UPnP/DLNA media servers other than the one provided by WMP. If that's the case then it may be possible to carry on using it by capturing the sound playing IHeart radio on the computer and network streaming it via UPnP to the Sony. There's a free UPnP/DLNA server that can do this for you, called Stream What You Hear, available here:
http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/download/

Interesting, it could possibly work. Not real user friendly as the she would have to start the computer and start streaming the station for it to work, and if someone else is using the computer not good either. Might work for a temp solution though.

The VGF-WA1 sees what ever it shared on the windows Media Center library, it might work with this also though
post #10 of 14 Old 01-27-2014, 09:13 AM

Indeed, only a possible 'permanent' solution for geeky types like me. rolleyes.gif Certainly should be ok as a stop gap, if it works.

BTW, If the VGF-WA1 cannot access the SWYH server for some reason, then it's possible you may still be able to access the stream produced by it indirectly via WMP. This is because there's a live streaming option, allowing you to pick up its stream on WMP at http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:50011/stream/swyh.mp3, where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the ip of the computer you've installed SWYH on and assuming you've hard set its HTTP port to '50011' in SWYH's settings.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-27-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post

Indeed, only a possible 'permanent' solution for geeky types like me. rolleyes.gif Certainly should be ok as a stop gap, if it works.

BTW, If the VGF-WA1 cannot access the SWYH server for some reason, then it's possible you may still be able to access the stream produced by it indirectly via WMP. This is because there's a live streaming option, allowing you to pick up its stream on WMP at http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:50011/stream/swyh.mp3, where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the ip of the computer you've installed SWYH on and assuming you've hard set its HTTP port to '50011' in SWYH's settings.

I will look into it. If the wife wasn't such a channel surfer I could see it being a good option. But she is one of those that when you get in for car the numbers are wore off the preset buttons !!! If this stupid IHeart radio deal would just give you direct feeds that would play in WMP it would be problem solved.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-28-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried out stream what you hear last night and it looked like it was going to work. Install was simple and it showed up right away as a device on my VGF-WA1 along with my other two computers that stream to it. But when I select it I get a loud pop out of the speakers and it turns off ?

I also tried adding the stream in WMP which works but the VGF-WA1 does not see it, I am guessing because it is not an mp3 or some other audio format it knows? It just isn't in the list of music to play.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-29-2014, 04:30 AM

That's unfortunate. The SWYH server actually produces two music file streams, an mp3 one and a wav one (just change the .mp3 suffix for a .wav one in the URL I mentioned in my last post). Since they are in effect radio type streams, the files don't have their lengths defined, unlike a normal music file stored on a drive. It's possible that may be causing the VGF-WA1 a problem in that it can only play normal music files via a UPnP/DLNA server and therefore only handle radio type ones via WMP.

If this isn't the case, then the only other thing I can think of is may be it can't play the mp3 file with it's current bitrate setting, which you can change (range 32-320). Incidentally, for best quality you should try to set the sound capture resolution to that of the computer's current sound card setting (this will also set the wav file stream resolution). In the unlikely event that the VGF-WA1 supports file 'push' or 'play to' as a renderer, as well as 'pulling' the files to itself as a player, it should appear in the list of renderers that SWYH can control, in the 'Stream to' menu choice. In which case, it's possible that selecting the VGF-WA1 for SWYH control and send the capture file to might work instead. The choice of which of the mp3 or wav (PCM/L16) capture files are sent to the renderer is given by the 'Send stream to DLNA device using' setting.

I've never before tried adding a radio stream to a WMP playlist, so that it can be played by a UPnP/DLNA supporting streamer using the WMP DLNA media server. You're right that the SWYH server streams don't appear on the WMP DLNA server when added to the playlist. The SWYH stream files on the playlist do playback properly on WMP itself, though (using another computer on the network, to avoid positive feedback to SWYH's sound capture). However, I've also tried adding URL's to 'proper' internet radio stations on a WMP playlist and they don't appear on the WMP DLNA server either!

Are you sure this is possible / tried adding a custom radio station to WMP before yourself for use with the VGF-WA1?
post #14 of 14 Old 01-29-2014, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will do some more testing, the WA1 does not show up in the Stream To list, I did check that. I can try to use wav instead of mp3 just to see what happens. I did try different capture bit rates but it made no difference. I think it is just not going to happen, too bad because it is a great little radio with good sound, just out dated....
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Vaio Vgf Wa1 W Wireless Digital Music Streamer White

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page