AVS Forum banner

Xtreamer Sidewinder 4 - XBMC pre-installed

11K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  NeilF 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Anything from xtreamer is always suspect and that archos video player is only present on archos android box (which is not very good) did they steal it or license the archos box.

xtreamer = avoid

Update: My bad checked Google Play and Archos do sell their player so I guess thats where they are getting it from, still wouldn't touch an xtreamer box though.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330  /t/1515191/xtreamer-sidewinder-4-xbmc-pre-installed#post_24291860

Anything from xtreamer is always suspect and that archos video player is only present on archos android box (which is not very good) did they steal it or license the archos box.

xtreamer = avoid

Have to say, my XTreamer player has been brilliant...

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF  /t/1515191/xtreamer-sidewinder-4-xbmc-pre-installed/0_50#post_24293919

And why do you say this? I seem to find a lot of people with this attitude who don't actually have first hand experience?

I have experience with them. When I contacted them about some problems I had with one of their players a few years ago the response was amazingly rude and snotty. I sent the player back to Amazon instead of trying to deal with them. I'm not the only person that will tell you the same thing. Just search here and you'll find more people with the same opinion of them.

There are MUCH better companies to deal with than Unicorn/Xstreamer.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix  /t/1515191/xtreamer-sidewinder-4-xbmc-pre-installed#post_24293977

I have experience with them. When I contacted them about some problems I had with one of their players a few years ago the response was amazingly rude and snotty. I sent the player back to Amazon instead of trying to deal with them. I'm not the only person that will tell you the same thing. Just search here and you'll find more people with the same opinion of them.

There are MUCH better companies to deal with than Unicorn/Xstreamer.

That's a shame! Sorry to hear it... I was a member of the XTreamer community for some time and only had +ve experiences.

#9 ·
I had the sidewinder I think. Whatever they sold in 2009. I bought it before getting my PCH-C200. It worked great for me at the time. I still have it somewhere. I guess I need to fire it up one day to check it out.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh  /t/1515191/xtreamer-sidewinder-4-xbmc-pre-installed#post_24646399

In concept, looks great. In practice, opposite. If you look at their forum, you'll see lots of complaining about how buggy this box is.
See what you're saying... Well it's only just come out so maybe it needs a couple of months to bed down.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh  /t/1515191/xtreamer-sidewinder-4-xbmc-pre-installed/0_50#post_24646426

Possible, but unlikely given Xtreamer's history. I'll eat my words, and even buy one, if they surprise us on this one.

They won't.

#15 ·

I have the xtreamer sidewinder 2 and it's a great product. 

It works flawlesly and had many formware updates over the time.

The sidewinder 4 looks intersesting since it has DTS bypass and IR reciever so it capable of working with Harmony remote control.

It's a bit overpriced.

I think that we should wait for some hands on review.

If you know of better alternatives I'll love to hear.

#16 ·
I have been using a xtreamer 1 for years with no problems. Wanted to use XBMC so after testing on my laptop I decided to upgrade my xtreamer to a siderwider 4.
Very disappointed, XBMC doesn't run very well and is pre-installed with loads of add-ons I don't want which I can not remove. I am searching for a way to install a clean version of XBMC so if anyone knows how to do this I would be grateful.

#17 ·
I've just bought a Boxee Box (1hr ago) to replace my XTreamer 1.

I'll put Boxee Plus on it, and then try Boxee XBMC.

If that fails, I'll ebay it and for a full NUC XMBC PC.

But I don't use it much so the Boxee with its lovely remote appeals to me for the money!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.