Play FLAC via Home Network - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Hello all,

I am having difficulty sifting through all of the arguments online about what to buy for a digital FLAC collection --> network --> receiver.   My current setup is a Denon x1000 receiver(network capable DLNA), 39" Vizio TV, and 2.0 speakers (717v Focal Chorus).  I have a budget of either $200 for a system WITH a HDD in it or $100 for a system without a HDD.

My goal is to stream FLAC to my receiver using a device that is storing my FLAC music collection which I can keep down to 500GB..  I see many arguments stating that NAS is a bad way to go but I do not know of other options.  Please give your opinions or post some suggestions for hardware.

Thanks in advance!

Seth

Denon AVR X1000

Focal Chorus 717v (L/R)

Dual ReactionAudio BP212 Turbos

PS4

Seagate Central 2TB NAS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hi Seth

Not sure what the arguments are against using a NAS in principle. Since you want to use FLAC files and your Denon AVR supports up to 24/192 FLAC when DLNA streaming, then you haven't even got the hardware issue of having to choose a NAS with a more powerful processor in order to properly handle the transcoding of hi-res FLAC into a format that the streamer can handle.

Specifically for UPnP/DLNA music file streaming, I would suggest using certain makes of NAS, but this is only due to the UPnP/DLNA media server that you are able run on it. So really we are talking about software here, more than hardware. With UPnP/DLNA music file streaming, ease of use is mostly determined by the UPnP/DLNA server, the UPnP/DLNA controller and then to a minor extent the streamer itself (ie a streamer with decent firmware, eg can be controlled by a UPnP/DLNA controller, music file support, gapless support, pause, skip, fast forward/back and/or in-track positioning, etc). The UPnP/DLNA server I'd recommend to use for music file streaming is the excellent free MinimServer, available here:
http://minimserver.com/features.html

You can install MinimServer on any Windows, Mac or Linux computer and also on certain makes of NAS, including those made by Synology, QNAP and Netgear ReadyNAS. You can even install it on a low cost/power small computer for a 'home made NAS' type device, such as a Raspberry Pi or Sheevaplug.

John
Zefinator likes this.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome.  Thank you for the information.  I was thinking about building a small form pc/server but did not know the software to use.  I might try that since my home pc is now out of commission.

I would probably buy/build something similar to the following from the parts around my house:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883249005

Would this be advisable?  

Thank you for your help!

Denon AVR X1000

Focal Chorus 717v (L/R)

PS4

Seagate Central 2TB NAS

Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
That PC box's spec should certainly be good enough to run Minimserver. BTW, since your keen on using a Windows computer as your media server device, there's a decent alternative free UPnP/DLNA server to try in addition to MinimServer, called Asset UPnP (it only runs on Windows & Linux computers).

Out of interest, what were some of those arguments you found about using a NAS, being a bad way to go?
Zefinator likes this.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help Cebolla!  I will try both and see which I like better.  :)

I do not remember the details but most arguments were against all-in-one, pre-built NAS devices such as the Seagate Central or ReadyNAS. 

Denon AVR X1000

Focal Chorus 717v (L/R)

PS4

Seagate Central 2TB NAS

Tags
Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver