Need help on equiment needed for home network!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, guys, just needed some input on what I need to get my home network going.

I know I need a gigabit switch (will need to get at least 24 port, as I have 17 cat5e runs throughout the house. I will have the following in a rack in the basement: NAS, PS3, Apple Tv, AVRs, Directv. I was wondering if I should punch down the ends of the cat5e wire that comes into the basement and then run patch cables into the switch?

I also need some advice on what kind of cat5e cable (bulk) would I need to buy in order to make patch cables and add more runs to some other places. The contractor who build the house put in Honeywell 4 pair Category 5e unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cable, general communication UL 1666 riser rated UL (or ETL) Listed with 24 AWG solid bare copper conductors, polyethylene or polypropylene insulation, sunlight resistant RoHS compliant PVC jacket and a ripcord, 1000 - 0 (descending) footage marking. UL (or ETL) Verified to TIA/EIA-568 (Latest Revision) Category 5e and sweep tested to 350 MHz.
. So I am confused do I need to buy the same one to make patch cables or a different type (solid, stranded, etc).

Would it be beneficial if I bought rj45 connectors that are metal shield (like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231033393153) or should I just go with the plastic ones?

Any help would be great,

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For patch cables you can either buy them, or make them with a box of unshielded CAT 5e cable and regular RJ45 connectors are fine. You don't need to use the same kind of cable for patch cables as was used for the runs in your house, that has special shielding to reduce interference which is not required for patch cables.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Can you send me a link of which cat5e bulk cable you suggest? So regular vs the metal shield rj45 cable connectors don't matter in terms of quality of data transmission? Do you suggest I use a patch panel?

Thanks for the quick reply
post #4 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 PM

Liked: 13

If your looking to buy cat5 cable check out monoprice. Those guys have pretty good prices on cables. I

Have you tried to run internet over powerline? My network runs on both ethernet and powerline.  I even though about running them over coax as well but I seem to have plenty of bandwidth between ethernet and powerline.  

Having powerline makes it handy to drop internet anywhere in the house without having to run cable or rely on wifi only.

GusGus748s likes this.

Check out my website
post #5 of 6 Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
post #6 of 6 Old 02-07-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I also agree with buying cables from Monoprice. They've got excellent prices and their customer service is awesome.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page