WMC Extender - Xbox verions/specs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My new HTPC is up and running. Pretty sure I had little stiffy after it worked and fully PVRing shows.

Now on to replacing the other STB that my wife uses for working out/running. I've read that XBOX are the best/easiest for connecting to WMC which I am using.
Two primary concerns:
1. Will she have to use a xbox controller or would it be possible to use a remote control against the Xbox like I can for the HTPC? She'll be mildly annoyed using a controller, but oh well if it saves me $10 bucks a month.

2. I hope to just buy one off of craigslist/ebay. Can I use the 4GB version if not playing any games? Do I need anything besides console and controller for setup?

If it matters, I am using HD HomeRun prime on my HTPC.

appreciate the help, you guys have been great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yeah, you can use WMC remotes/Harmony remotes/universal remotes that send WMC commands with the 360.

Yes, 4GB will be fine (I have 4 4GB ones as exteders). You can always use USB jump drives/USB HDDs for more storage if you want to DL a game (though max supported this way is 32GB; even if you use a 250GB USB HDD for example).

Just make sure you get a Slim or newer E model, the earlier ones are more prone to HW failure/overheating.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

Just make sure you get a Slim or newer E model, the earlier ones are more prone to HW failure/overheating.

Thanks, in what I read none of that was mentioned.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

Yeah, you can use WMC remotes/Harmony remotes/universal remotes that send WMC commands with the 360.

Yes, 4GB will be fine (I have 4 4GB ones as exteders). You can always use USB jump drives/USB HDDs for more storage if you want to DL a game (though max supported this way is 32GB; even if you use a 250GB USB HDD for example).

Whats a good price to pay for a used one? Assumingyou didnt buy for brand new ones.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuskibum View Post

Whats a good price to pay for a used one? Assumingyou didnt buy for brand new ones.

I bought all mine new ($179 w/$30 best buy gift card each; so the 4th one cost me $90 and the last gift card paid for the hdmi cables). I'm just not comfortable buying refurb technology myself.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Xbox 360 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page