In Need of Networking Help. New Router is Choking My Network - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
I changed to Verizon HomeFusion for broadband access a couple months ago, and they provided their router as part of the install. I've only recently had a chance to watch an movies, but I immediately noticed stuttering in my playback. I originally blamed my recent server upgrades, but after digging into that for a while it turns out it's the Verizon router. If I take it out, and plug up my old Netgear router (same cables) I can stream video with no issues.

I have to keep the Verizon router as it handles communicating with the antenna/radio portion of the HomeFusion equipment. Can someone point me in the right direction for configuring the router so that it doesn't choke all the traffic on my local network.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Are you sure it's the router, and not another bandwidth-hogging device?

Try disabling wireless and connect only your router and video streaming device, and see if it still has problems.

At the same time, check your routing list to ensure only your video streaming device is assigned an IP address.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure it's not another device on my network causing the problem. We have very few hardwired components, and I have a Gigabit lan. The hardwired stuff is pretty well limited to my file server, a desktop (which has been off for some of the troubleshooting) and my Dune player. We have a data cap on our internet so the xbox, PS3, etc. is NOT connected to the LAN. The remaining devices on our network are iDevices, so I wouldn't think they are contributing much to the slow down.

I'll try disabling the wireless connection and removing any other devices from our network and see what happens.

Thanks for the input!

Old 02-13-2014, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 35

So what is connected to the Verizon Device? Do you have a Firewall or Switch or something?

Have you tried doing some speed tests with the old and new Router? They should be close to the same if not then there is something going on.

I've seen some issues with the devices that Verizon provides and their "Auto" Port Setting. Can you manually configure the port settings? If so set them to the highest common setting like 1G Full Duplex or 100MB Full Duplex you might resolve the issue?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17

I suggest you configure your  HomeFusion "router" in Bridge mode. Most Telco provided equipment allows it, because it allows the technician to drop it into an existing network (on a paid install, not self-install) without much work.

How to do this varies by device. Basically the Verizon router web interface will have a page with a check box to click for "operate in bridge mode" and you will need to transfer the PPPoE credentials (DSL connection username, password) to the Netgear.

Re-install your old Netgear router to handle DHCP, firewall security, and traffic on your internal network. Connect the WAN port on the netgear to the Verizon HomeFusion  (configured in "bridge mode") LAN port. The HomeFusion box then just acts like a DSL modem: functions like NAT, DHCP, IP Passthrough, and username and password will be disabled or irrelevant and can not be selected.

The DSLreport web site has a lot of negative reports on the Verizon HomeFusion equipment. Certainly not the quality of Netgear equipment. Which is what I use. The small business line.

Almost all small (4 port) switches have problems when handling mixed 100Mb and 1Gb port traffic; where it comes in on one port at one speed and goes out to the destination IP at another speed. Some of the worst routers drop to 40-50Mb total throughput (all ports, combined)  in that situation (see the tests at smallnetbuilder.com).

I prefer to leave "auto negotiation" ON, because it resolves other properties beside port speed.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry for the delay in the updating this thread. Thanks for the feedback!

I will definitely consider getting another router to isolate the Verizon router from my LAN. I have a Netgear router that I used temporarily, but it has poor WIfi signal strength compared to the verizon router. I'll have to see what I can find that will be an improvement.

That said, I did find a solution of sorts. I finally lost my 4G connection as well, which put this is the ballpark where Verizon's tech support had some input. We ended up restoring the router (and I believe the cantenna) to factory defaults. Since then, everything has been working pretty smoothly. No more video stuttering. The Verizon Tech said they recommended resetting that router once a week. He said it had something to do with the cantenna being locked to a single tower and not getting the proper updates like a cellphone would. I'm not sure if I buy that or not, but I think the weekly reset is probably sound advice for this bit of hardware. It's not a great fix, but at least it's something I can work with. Hopefully that will prevent me from having to restore the router and lose the settings every few months.

Tags
Playstation 3 80gb System