Does anyone know of a blu ray player that will mount ISO image from NAS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-02-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a NAS with all my media files on it and would like to know if a Blu Ray player existed that will mount ISO file and play it back?  I have searched and came up with nothing so far.  I recently had a western digital box that worked well until it died.  And my blu ray player died as well so I was thinking if something existed that did both would be great. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-04-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I recently purchased a pioneer bdp-150. There is a custom firmware available with that functionality. I found a firmware on ebay that you can buy for it that gives you network bd iso playback. It works well. You can play iso via usb or through the network. It does eliminate Netflix and most of the internet features, but I didn't care about that. It also plays full menu's and 3d etc., so its about as full featured as it gets, plus the firmware eliminated cinivia too. Its not the highest end player in the world, but it works. You can also install the firmware on the higher end units like the the bdp-440 and 450 , plus a few of the older models like the bdp-140 and 440(a few others too). Overall, its a nice player. One of the older oppo players had an old firmware that did the same thing but if it has been upgraded to a newer firmware, I don't believe there is a way to get the functionality back. Even if you can find one with the right firmware, they are still pretty pricey.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-04-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Why?

I'll never understand why people try to get stuff to do things is was not designed to do, and then wonder whey they have issues. The simple answer? Buy a media streamer and be done with it. Why buy questionable firmware that may impact the original purpose of the player when a very good streamer can be had for $59?
post #4 of 6 Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 PM

I hear what you are saying, and are welcome to your opinion, but the op asked a question because it is of interest to him. You are welcome to start a thread about why its a horrible idea, but your comment really is not that helpful. I bought the pioneer player for a second bedroom in order to simplify the clutter, and to still have a disc player should I need it. I bought it in great condition for about $70 shipped. I bought the firmware (I am sure it could be had cheaper/free if I had looked harder) for $30. So, for $100 total, I have a fully functioning, non cinivia, region free (I forgot to mention that in the original post) BD player, that plays full menu 3d ISO through both USB and network, and (now that I have fixed a network issue I was having) without a hitch. I can skip tracks and fast forward just as if I were watching the original disc, something that neither my wdtv or boxee box in other rooms do well, or at all. My TV does netflix so I didn't need that. Its a very good option, and that's coming from someone who owns the aforementioned media players that were"designed" for such use.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
My comment is helpful in the sense that it may alert the OP to the fact that while possible, hacking a BD player to do what it was not designed for can result in hours of frustration. If you look at the hundreds, if not thousands of posts from people who bought a "Smart" TV, BD players or of such only to find it's seriously hobbled and can not do what they want it to do you will see it's a common problem. Post after post of people commenting on how the re-ripped a disk, remux'd it, did this or that to get it to play and still had no success. I've been there, I have nothing against hacking equipment, much of what I own has been hacked at one time or another - but out of that has come one clear lesson. Buy a display to view content on, buy a BD player to watch disks, buy an AV receiver to switch and listen to content and buy a media streamer to get content off your computer and stream from the internet. Getting an one of these items to do more than that will result in compromises, in some cases insurmountable ones.

Oh, BTW, the OP did not ask for a hacked BD player, he asked if any were available to do what he wanted...
post #6 of 6 Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

My comment is helpful in the sense that it may alert the OP to the fact that while possible, hacking a BD player to do what it was not designed for can result in hours of frustration. If you look at the hundreds, if not thousands of posts from people who bought a "Smart" TV, BD players or of such only to find it's seriously hobbled and can not do what they want it to do you will see it's a common problem. Post after post of people commenting on how the re-ripped a disk, remux'd it, did this or that to get it to play and still had no success. I've been there, I have nothing against hacking equipment, much of what I own has been hacked at one time or another - but out of that has come one clear lesson. Buy a display to view content on, buy a BD player to watch disks, buy an AV receiver to switch and listen to content and buy a media streamer to get content off your computer and stream from the internet. Getting an one of these items to do more than that will result in compromises, in some cases insurmountable ones.

Oh, BTW, the OP did not ask for a hacked BD player, he asked if any were available to do what he wanted...

I know what you are saying, but my point was that even the dedicated streamers have their own share of "issues", and so far I really like the all in one nature of this pioneer player I just picked up. I wanted something to play back all of my bd iso files through my network, it does that better than either of my two dedicated streamers do. The firmware was a pretty straightforward install, and the cost is still cheaper (if found at the right price) than buying both components together. I don't believe there are any other players on the market that have the kind of functionality out of the box that the op was requesting (I think asus was selling something overseas but it had pretty shoddy reviews if memory serves), so I figured I would throw in my 2 cents.

Btw. I should add that the pioneer player I have does not play dvd iso, just bd and 3d bd (kinda weird), so if the op wants dvd iso functionality, I think the step up models (bdp450,440 lx55 etc) do that. They also have dual hdmi outs. I really didn't know what kind of media the op was looking to play, so I figured I would mention this.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Pioneer Bdp 150 Region Free 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Pioneer Blu Ray 3d Disc Player Bdp 440

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page