Gravity: iTunes versus Vudu versus Blu-ray - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 141 Old 03-14-2014, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just wish that 3D rentals were an option via my Netflix disc subscription.. I saw this in a real IMAX and loved it as most did due to the immersion aspects and I just don't know that the experience would be enough to make me want to watch it more than once on my home 60" passive (so some detail is lost) 3d screen. Certainly not interested in 2D as that would unquestionably remove the immersion and I'm not watching it for the distracting bit of forced 'hollywood' story that is there. I'll have to check redbox and local safeway to see if they rent the 3d version.

As to the "buy Blu-ray vs. stream' questions, it is very easy decision for me. Blu-ray is the highest quality source available and it is the only on you actually own a copy of. "Buying" movies from iTunes/Xbox/Vudu/etc is just getting extremely restricted viewing rights that are for folks who didn't learn anything from the DRM'd music days. Also, while Disney is messing things up a bit, most new Blu-ray's come with the online licenses (Ultraviolet or the Disney/Apple whatever) now so you not only get the highest resolution physical media, for no additional money you also get access to the online version that (again with the exception of Disney-Apple) isn't tied to any one provider. There is also the ability to buy at a price advantage due to steep sales, bargain bin's, used media, etc that you rarely see, or is impossible, with 'buying' online.
Blu-ray = Highest resolution local copy, with all the extras + online viewing rights accessible via a number of services (unless it is a Disney title - then just their site)
Online = Online version accessible only via the service you paid (unless you bought from a UV provider). Usually no extras, audio and video quality is wildcard. Service goes away or studio or provider decides to remove viewing rights, you have nothing.
techflaws likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 03-16-2014, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post

I just wish that 3D rentals were an option via my Netflix disc subscription.. I saw this in a real IMAX and loved it as most did due to the immersion aspects and I just don't know that the experience would be enough to make me want to watch it more than once on my home 60" passive (so some detail is lost) 3d screen. Certainly not interested in 2D as that would unquestionably remove the immersion and I'm not watching it for the distracting bit of forced 'hollywood' story that is there. I'll have to check redbox and local safeway to see if they rent the 3d version.

As to the "buy Blu-ray vs. stream' questions, it is very easy decision for me. Blu-ray is the highest quality source available and it is the only on you actually own a copy of. "Buying" movies from iTunes/Xbox/Vudu/etc is just getting extremely restricted viewing rights that are for folks who didn't learn anything from the DRM'd music days. Also, while Disney is messing things up a bit, most new Blu-ray's come with the online licenses (Ultraviolet or the Disney/Apple whatever) now so you not only get the highest resolution physical media, for no additional money you also get access to the online version that (again with the exception of Disney-Apple) isn't tied to any one provider. There is also the ability to buy at a price advantage due to steep sales, bargain bin's, used media, etc that you rarely see, or is impossible, with 'buying' online.
Blu-ray = Highest resolution local copy, with all the extras + online viewing rights accessible via a number of services (unless it is a Disney title - then just their site)
Online = Online version accessible only via the service you paid (unless you bought from a UV provider). Usually no extras, audio and video quality is wildcard. Service goes away or studio or provider decides to remove viewing rights, you have nothing.

PM sent.
post #123 of 141 Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Why would anyone buy a movie? Makes no sense if you already saw the movie.

Maybe seeing a great film a few times makes sense but you can rent it and save some money and clutter.

Also unless you have a very large screen and a dedicated av setup bluray is not appreciated. So streaming will work best for the studios lower cost to produce and the consumer since most are not having large screen setups with surround sound.

Sorry but bluray is dying and just like in the audio industry, video will be via streaming.
post #124 of 141 Old 03-27-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Anyone notice that they dont offer you the ability to buy a blu-ray disc right off apple TV and have it shipped to your door? They are missing an opportunity there imo...

Blazar!
post #125 of 141 Old 03-28-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

Maybe seeing a great film a few times makes sense but you can rent it and save some money and clutter.

Also unless you have a very large screen and a dedicated av setup bluray is not appreciated. So streaming will work best for the studios lower cost to produce and the consumer since most are not having large screen setups with surround sound.

Sorry but bluray is dying and just like in the audio industry, video will be via streaming.

I find it very amusing when I read industry experts making the very same statements. Unfortunately, the reality is that the vast majority of US residents do not have access to internet connections which would make the elimination of optical media viable at this point in time. I consider myself very fortunate to have a very decent connection (my WiFi tops out at about 57 Mbps, the same as my hardline download speeds through Xfinity), but many of my acquaintances in this same area (and with the same ISP) do not. The infrastructure just isn't everywhere it needs to be right now, and it will take years before it is and costs come down enough for all consumers to take advantage of the higher speeds necessary to stream very-high resolution content. I understand your comment about "large screens", but you need to take into account that it is now possible to get 50" LED-LCDs for as little as $400...in fact, I heard an industry "insider" say that 50" is the new 42". So larger screens ARE in fact becoming the norm.

Optical media is not going anywhere anytime soon. For those of us who have been willing to get rid of our vast collections (mine included not only Blu-Rays, but DVD's and LaserDiscs as well) and gotten into heavy duty streaming, optical media may be somewhat of a relic. But that's only because we have access to the connection speeds that make streaming so much more convenient. Personally, I have a difficult time watching anything other than Blu-Ray ISOs streamed from my NAS. My display is 73", and even the HDX content from Vudu looks a little too "soft" on a screen that size. So while I fully appreciate the advantages of streaming over the use (and care) of physical media, I know I could not drop discs altogether at this point.
post #126 of 141 Old 03-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

I must respectfully disagree on your asseent of IP infrastructure. I am a network architect and worked at GSFC for NASA as a consultant to the ISS space station network.

With the new compression algorithms and the current IPv6 models streaming bandwidth is more than enough except in the most remote locations.

With a meager 10 Mbps pipe you can stream HDX at 1080p.

This not fast enough Internet argument has been used a lot to promote this idea that Bluray is not dying. In fact most Optical media is gone.

I do agree that on a larger screen the difference in vidio quality between Bluray and streaming becomes much more noticeable.

50 inches is not a large screen and I believe the average consumer is at this screen size.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #127 of 141 Old 03-28-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Oh, I was not disagreeing with you...the bandwidth is definitely there, but it's just not available to enough of the population at this point in time to completely eliminate the need for physical media. The fastest speed that AT&T offers via DSL in downtown Fort Lauderdale is 6 Mbps, but it doesn't actually work for everybody in this area. I had it for over a year, and the techs tried everything in their power and couldn't get the speed past 2 Mbps, so I switched back to Xfinity. And in some rather affluent areas of Miami Beach you can't even get internet service from either cable or via a landline...I have a friend who just moved into one of these locales and freaked out when he realized he could only use his cell phone to get online. Things are improving, but not quite as fast as the ISPs would have everyone believe.

The main reason I went through the trouble of setting up my NAS was because I was sick and tired of discs and having to deal with storing them. The new compression algorithms will definitely improve things for those of us who've embraced streaming, and I fully expect the content providers and the ISPs to take advantage of the new technologies...but just not as quickly as we would like. Also, I don't think the content creators are quite ready to part with the revenue stream generated by the sales of physical media. Not unless they can convince all consumers to "own" media which can only be accessed through streaming. I have no problem buying titles from Vudu fully knowing that I could potentially lose access to them for any number of reasons at any time, but that is a choice I make based solely on the level of convenience such a move affords me. I don't want to have to get out of bed just to put a disc in the Blu-Ray player every time I want to watch a movie in the bedroom.

We will eventually get to the point where it is easy and affordable for everyone to access content stored "in the cloud". And once the picture quality has matched or surpassed that which is available on discs, the need for physical media will vanish entirely even for those with dedicated home theaters with 150" screens. But until that happens I think we will still have some form of physical media around. If not Blu-Ray, perhaps thumb drives, which even my most computer-phobic acquaintances have become comfortable with.
post #128 of 141 Old 03-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Well stated.

Take care and thanks for the great discussions.
post #129 of 141 Old 03-28-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

VUDU streaming may be sufficient for smaller HDTV's but on screens from 100-200" it's clearly noticeable when you change from streaming to Blu-ray. Blu-ray will only die when streaming pushes that much resolution over the internet. Then it becomes a question of who will have that kind of internet access and who can afford it.

Don't get me wrong I love having access to my 70+ movies on VUDU especially when you want to watch a movie remotely. And it can come in handy at times. Last week I had friends who insisted on watching Gravity because they hadn't seen it. Problem was I had lent the disc to my daughter so I fired up my Roku 3, connected to VUDU and played the movie for them. Front projection with 120" screen. Did they notice the resolution difference? No, they were too captivated by the story...but probably would not have noticed anyway. Did I? You bet.
Taranteacher likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #130 of 141 Old 03-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Yes I agree bluray is for large screen use.
post #131 of 141 Old 03-28-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

VUDU streaming may be sufficient for smaller HDTV's but on screens from 100-200" it's clearly noticeable when you change from streaming to Blu-ray. Blu-ray will only die when streaming pushes that much resolution over the internet. Then it becomes a question of who will have that kind of internet access and who can afford it.

Don't get me wrong I love having access to my 70+ movies on VUDU especially when you want to watch a movie remotely. And it can come in handy at times. Last week I had friends who insisted on watching Gravity because they hadn't seen it. Problem was I had lent the disc to my daughter so I fired up my Roku 3, connected to VUDU and played the movie for them. Front projection with 120" screen. Did they notice the resolution difference? No, they were too captivated by the story...but probably would not have noticed anyway. Did I? You bet.

I faced a similar situation with Gravity when my buddy was coming over and wanted to stream it. I went out and bought the blu ray before he got to my house. I won't watch any other format but blu unless it is unavailable, or if It's just a daytime background noise type movie. I have a 60" plasma and I can see the difference. I also have the maxed out AT&T 45gbps internet but have yet to find an ISP that is 100% reliable. The one time I lose my connection will be while I am showing off the system to a guest. wink.gif

Samsung PN60E530 60" Plasma
Marantz SR6006 AVR
Emotiva XPA-3
GoldenEar Triton Sevens L&R
GoldenEar SuperCenter XL Center
GoldenEar Aon 3 Surrounds
Sony BPD S590 Blu Ray
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
post #132 of 141 Old 03-29-2014, 04:20 AM

It makes more sense to me for someone to buy an Apple TV and the iTunes HD downloads. No physical discs, all of it stored in the cloud. I just don't like that the things get hot enough to fry an egg on, and I don't like that there is no USB 2.0 port like there is on the WDTV Live. WDTV Live would be perfect if you could link it to an iTunes account and stream.
post #133 of 141 Old 03-29-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Opinion noted.

post #134 of 141 Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Anyone notice that they dont offer you the ability to buy a blu-ray disc right off apple TV and have it shipped to your door? They are missing an opportunity there imo...

Well, if they bought Netflix...

post #135 of 141 Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 PM

Too bad we can't upload movie rips to the cloud with iTunes the way you can with music. If I could do that, I'd just buy an Apple TV and put all my BD into storage.
post #136 of 141 Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 543
I don't know how I missed this thread. Any chance that we could get links to the full images instead of these stacked slices? I like to compare by placing full resolution images in two tabs of a browser window, blowing it up fullscreen and instantly flipping between them. The differences leap out at you.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #137 of 141 Old 04-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Im noticing people talking about difference in PQ and price. I stopped buying Blurays about a year ago when I discovered that almost all new movie releases could be bought in HDX for 5.00 on a variety of websites. I also share my UV account with five family members so they also get the benefit of any movie I add to my collection by being linked. Sure the PQ is not as good as the Bluray but at 5.00 per movie its close enough. I have my smart bluray player also going through an outboard video processor so that also helps clean up the image and Dolby Digital Plus is good enough. I bought Gravity for 5.00 online and my family in different states all enjoyed it. Was worth the five bucks if you ask me.
post #138 of 141 Old 04-06-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

Im noticing people talking about difference in PQ and price. I stopped buying Blurays about a year ago when I discovered that almost all new movie releases could be bought in HDX for 5.00 on a variety of websites. I also share my UV account with five family members so they also get the benefit of any movie I add to my collection by being linked. Sure the PQ is not as good as the Bluray but at 5.00 per movie its close enough. I have my smart bluray player also going through an outboard video processor so that also helps clean up the image and Dolby Digital Plus is good enough. I bought Gravity for 5.00 online and my family in different states all enjoyed it. Was worth the five bucks if you ask me.

I just wish digital downloads weren't all restrictive with DRM.
post #139 of 141 Old 04-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Agree Hogger but I look at the price of what I'm saving by getting the HDX version. In fact with the disc to digital conversion I'm converting a ton of DVD 's to HDX without incurring the cost of re buying the Bluray at 20.00 or more per movie. In fact I've been able to get the HDX versions of movies not available on Bluray yet. "True Lies" with Ahnold is already out in HDX but not Bluray. I also go to the local public library where they have hundreds of DVD titles and take my laptop and do disc to digital right at the library. Most titles Best Buy doesn't even sell anymore. Library has hundreds of classic titles that Best Buy would never have since it takes up too much shelf space. Ever try to find an Audrey Hepburn classic at Best Buy your library has em and they're available in HDX on disc to digital and at only 2.50 how can you lose.
post #140 of 141 Old 04-06-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

Agree Hogger but I look at the price of what I'm saving by getting the HDX version. In fact with the disc to digital conversion I'm converting a ton of DVD 's to HDX without incurring the cost of re buying the Bluray at 20.00 or more per movie. In fact I've been able to get the HDX versions of movies not available on Bluray yet. "True Lies" with Ahnold is already out in HDX but not Bluray. I also go to the local public library where they have hundreds of DVD titles and take my laptop and do disc to digital right at the library. Most titles Best Buy doesn't even sell anymore. Library has hundreds of classic titles that Best Buy would never have since it takes up too much shelf space. Ever try to find an Audrey Hepburn classic at Best Buy your library has em and they're available in HDX on disc to digital and at only 2.50 how can you lose.

I usually resort to Amazon for rare stuff that I can't find at the store.
post #141 of 141 Old 04-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Cheaper at the library.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Gravity Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Vudu

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version