High Bitrate rips freezing on WDTV Live, flawless on WDTV Hub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-05-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No idea what's going on, but thought maybe one of the more savvy folk here might be able to help.

I have a Drobo 5n connected to a Netgear gigabit switch. On that same switch is a WDTV live. I've then got a 25ft Ethernet cable (type unknown/unmarked) running to an AirPort Extreme upstairs, which my WDTV Hub is attached to.

In this configuration, everything plays flawlessly. However, if I swap the media players, placing the WDTV live upstairs, I get frequent freezing and hiccuping issues.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Hub is gigabit Ethernet and the Live is 10/100, is this enough to make the difference here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-05-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What kind of bitrate are we talking? How big are these files? You should have no issues over 10/100 its more then fast enough, dunno, definitely odd.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I had a similar issue with my pioneer bd player, and it turns out I had an auto negotiation issue with my computers network adapter. I changed it to full duplex 100gbps and now all of my full bitrate bd iso's play without issue. I don't know what settings the Drobo 5n has for this, but you might look into it. If the same Ethernet cable worked for the wd hub, then its not that. Like what ash_man said, 10/100 should be fine. Unless its the wd live itself, its likely a settings issue with your network/network adapter. Here is the thread I started (and finished,lol, since I figured it out before anyone gave any comments) http://www.avsforum.com/t/1520899/sudden-stutter-on-bd-iso-playback-through-wired-network
post #4 of 10 Old 03-06-2014, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_man View Post

What kind of bitrate are we talking? How big are these files? You should have no issues over 10/100 its more then fast enough, dunno, definitely odd.

My collection is comprised of mostly bluray streams in mkv containers with no additional compression. My breaking point appears to be when a movie pushes just north of 30MB/s. Raiders and Empire are the films I've been using for testing.

Oh and I should also add that I tried this with two different WDTV Lives and had the same experience. The also both show amber on the switch, but I figured that was merely because they're a 10/100 on a Gigabit Lan.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

So a little update for anyone that's looking, after moving everything back (WDTV Hub upstairs and working, WDTV Live on same switch as Drobo) I'm now getting hiccups there.

As crazy as it sounds, is it possible that my gigabit switch is pushing too fast at the WDTV Live? Perhaps not appropriately managing the 1000mb to 100mb "funnel" for lack of a better word?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-07-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
There have been some reports of users getting rid of problems by switching to 100 Mbit.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #7 of 10 Old 03-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post

So a little update for anyone that's looking, after moving everything back (WDTV Hub upstairs and working, WDTV Live on same switch as Drobo) I'm now getting hiccups there.

As crazy as it sounds, is it possible that my gigabit switch is pushing too fast at the WDTV Live? Perhaps not appropriately managing the 1000mb to 100mb "funnel" for lack of a better word?

You can never go 'too fast' over a network, only too slow. I am running gigabit at home and I stream files anywhere from under 1GB all the way up to 30GB plus and I have no stuttering or buffering problems, and I do this through a Boxee Box or WDTV Live. You should have no issues over 100MB either but for fun, try rebooting your Drobo to see it that solves the problem.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

So, this morning, as a lay in preparation for Hari-Kari, I decide to move some wires. So now I've got Drobo going to Gigabit switch, then from switch 25ft ethernet to WDTV Hub (with 1000mb Lan). Then a second line from switch, into First Generation Time Capsule and THEN into WDTV Live (10/100).

Both players are now playing without issue.

What the heck? My guess is an issues with the Netgear switch that the extra pass thru on the Time Capsule is sorting out perhaps?
post #9 of 10 Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

So now my network has fallen to pieces again. Since my last post I splurged on a Dune D1 for my theater, sold the WDTV Hub and the WDTV Live is in the remote location. So my setup is now as follows:

Basement (Home Theatre): Netgear Gigabit Switch (8 port) (with the following attached)
Drobo 5n
Dune D1
Slingbox Solo
RJ-45 controller for projector
Xbox 360
This all works without issue.

From the Netgear Gigabit Switch then is a 25ft ethernet cable going to an Airport Extreme 4th Gen with the following attached:
Motorola Surfboard Modem
WDTV Live
Directv Genie
Sharp TV via WiFi Dongle
PS4 (WiFi)
Xbox One (WiFi)
iMac (WiFi)
Anywhere from 2-5 iPhone/iPad devices (WiFi)
Poweline Adapter (connection link light is never green)
Here we get playback issues on the WDTV and speed issues on all the WiFi iDevices

From the Powerline Adapter we then go up another floor where there is:
Time Capsule (First Generation)
WDTV Live (which barely plays at all)
and occasionally some of the iDevices by WiFi.
Can someone throw all this crap in a blender and come out on something that doesn't suck?
post #10 of 10 Old 06-29-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
good info, The also both show amber on the switch, but I figured that was merely because they're a 10/100 on a Gigabit Lan.thanks [IMG]http://*******/Xv1t7N[/IMG]
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page