What is a good NAS to stream Blu Ray ISO to 3-4 televisions simultaneously? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-08-2014, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello, 

I am in the process of implementing Dune Players in my home and i plan to stream Blu Ray Iso's 

I would like to stream to 3-4 televisions simultaneously. 

Would a Synology America DS1513+ do the job? 

I have a gigabit switch i may dedicate to the Dune / Nas network with an uplink to the internet. 

My concern is the size of the ISO stream and wether the NAS can handle it. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-08-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A little math...

Blu-ray spec max rates: 54Mbps / 8 = 7MB/sec (rounding) x 4 streams = 28MB/sec you need (at max, real-world will often be lower)
DS1513+ download specs via Windows SMB = 112MB/sec
Most hard drives you can buy will do well over that speed so that should be ok.
Your gigabit ethernet can easily handle the 4 streams.

So knowing you probably won't get as fast as their own benchmarks, there is still a lot of leeway that should keep that NAS setup pretty safe for your setup.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity06 View Post

Hello, 

I am in the process of implementing Dune Players in my home and i plan to stream Blu Ray Iso's 

I would like to stream to 3-4 televisions simultaneously. 

Would a Synology America DS1513+ do the job? 

I have a gigabit switch i may dedicate to the Dune / Nas network with an uplink to the internet. 

My concern is the size of the ISO stream and wether the NAS can handle it. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

You mentioned "Stream" Are you planning on having the Synology convert / recode the video for you using something like Plex or will you just be storing the video files on it? If you are going to have the Synology just store the video files for you then you won't have any issues whatsoever. The current Synology Disk Stations are capable of pumping out way more data then you are looking for. You should be able to have many times the load you are proposing.

Just make sure you are on a Wired Network and I would strongly suggest it be Gigabit Speed. If you have a switch that is capable you can "Bond" ports together on the Synology which will give you even more throughput and offer some level of load balancing if you are accessing it from multiple systems.

Bottom line, you shouldn't have any issues and will be impressed with the Synology RIADs. I am loving mine!

post #4 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

You mentioned "Stream" Are you planning on having the Synology convert / recode the video for you using something like Plex or will you just be storing the video files on it? If you are going to have the Synology just store the video files for you then you won't have any issues whatsoever. The current Synology Disk Stations are capable of pumping out way more data then you are looking for. You should be able to have many times the load you are proposing.

Just make sure you are on a Wired Network and I would strongly suggest it be Gigabit Speed. If you have a switch that is capable you can "Bond" ports together on the Synology which will give you even more throughput and offer some level of load balancing if you are accessing it from multiple systems.

Bottom line, you shouldn't have any issues and will be impressed with the Synology RIADs. I am loving mine!

Hi, 

From what i understand i can rip Blu ray to the Synology as an ISO... then point the dune players to the directory and use dune to play them to each display. 

I am hoping the Dune player can just play the ISO's with full menus etc and i dont need anything else. 

As for the network - i am going to have a dedicated gigabit switch for the NAS and dune players... then just have an uplink to the rest of the network. 

I think i am doing it right.. haha ? 

I was having doubts about streaming multipile ISO'S to multiple display simultaneously, 

post #5 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity06 View Post

Hi, 

From what i understand i can rip Blu ray to the Synology as an ISO... then point the dune players to the directory and use dune to play them to each display. 

I am hoping the Dune player can just play the ISO's with full menus etc and i dont need anything else. 

As for the network - i am going to have a dedicated gigabit switch for the NAS and dune players... then just have an uplink to the rest of the network. 

I think i am doing it right.. haha ? 

I was having doubts about streaming multipile ISO'S to multiple display simultaneously, 

You won't have any issues whatsoever, even if the files are 30GB in size you are only pulling the data from the RAID as it is being played with maybe a little bit more in a buffer depending on your player. The only thing I can say is just make sure you use drives that are approved for NAS use otherwise you "Could" run in to warranty issues if you have a failure. I suggest checking out the Synology Website for their "Compatible" drives.

You don't really need a dedicated switch for the NAS / Dunes but it also won't hurt and yes you are doing it right. Get them set up and enjoy!

Just as an FYI, I just did a real world test for you playing a full Quality (no compression) ISO Rip from my Synology to my Mede8er 600x3D and it is taking between 24 and 20mb/sec (that is BITS not BYTES). My Synology with a single connection can pump out over 900mb / sec so you will be more than fine =)

post #6 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, 

i Definitely made sure i bought the drive they recommended. 

There was only one drive they approved with the size of 4TB which didnt have notes where you need to be careful .

I Opted with (5) Western Digital WD Black WD4001FAEX 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" drives. 

I didn't want to low ball the drives using an expensive NAS 

How do you like the Mede8er ? Have you tried Dune? 

I am looking to get as close to Kalideascape as i can without the pricetag. But i want as much Control 4 Integration as i can get. 

post #7 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 07:50 AM

I've tried every player you can imagine except for Dune and PCH (Popcorn Hour). I wanted a PCH but they stopped selling them in the US for some reason. I opted for the Mede8er as the talk about them on here and other places is that they are great, affordable devices that are well supported by the company.

I was looking at the Dune players but they are expensive compared to Mede8er and PCH and from what I am told on this forum and others they don't have a lot of support (meaning constant firmware upgrades to add features / fix bugs).

That said I only rip out main movies, I am not sure if the Mede8er supports the full BR Menu or not. I usually watch the added features once and don't bother storing them on my network as they can take up a ton of space.

I would love to have a Kalideascape as well but from what I am told everything changed with Blu-Ray. You can "Rip" the discs but you still have to have / put the physical disc in the player to watch it. That totally defeats the purpose of it. I guess it was something to do with a law suit and don't know if that will eventually change or not.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Ok i see, 

I was going to rip the entire disk just because i want full menus and i don't want to play around with files. I will have to test it but it took a good hour to rip Pirates of the Caribbean. And that was on a very high end machine.... I7-920, PCIE Hard Drive... 32GB Ram etc  

As for Mede8er i may buy one and check it out. You are right Dune is expensive... I bought mine used on Amazon so we shall see. 

With Mede8er do you get the on screen jacket and synopsis when you just pull the main movie on your setup? Do you do any home automation using Control 4 of the like? 

as for Kalideascape... when i saw the players were $2,000 and i had to have the blu ray in the drive that was the deal breaker for me as well. It defeats the purpose. I dont even mind owning the Blu Rays where some people might. I just think that it is overpriced. 

post #9 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 AM

I use DVD Fab and so far its been very good / reliable at ripping the main movie out with no fuss at all. It takes me about 30 minutes to rip the average movie on a pretty high end system.

The Mede8er has a built in "Scraper" App that will go out and get all of the information on each of the movies. It will give you the front and back cover as well as "Fan Art" and a synopsis of the movie, the stars in it as well as a rating of the movie (not sure where it gets that from). You do want / need to have the movies in a specific file / folder structure which was no problem for me as I already was doing it that way anyway. It has been really good at getting the right information with a few little hiccups here and there with movies that have the same name (you have to add in the year in the folder name). The good news is that all of the information is downloaded right in to the folders so if you go with another place its already done. Obviously for that to work it needs write access to each of the folders.

You have a few different "Views" you can choose from you can also use a Jukebox which I haven't ventured in to since the way it works is fine with me.

Here are a few photos of my Mede8er Library to give you an idea. This was downloaded / done by the built in Scraper App!

I don't have any home automation and I think that Kalideascape is screwed now that you have to put the disc in. Sure we all have the original discs but that is a complete joke to me. You can still do it with DVD but Blu-Ray is completely different.

infinity06 likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Ohh yeah, thats AWESOME! 

thanks for the info and effort for the screenshot. 

I guess that does it, im going to see if it can be integrated with control 4 and then order it. 

Thanks for the help. I cant wait. 

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Synology Ds1513 Network Storage , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player
Gear in this thread