29Likes

post #391 of 568 Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"DVD Fab is caught in a squeeze they can do nothing about."

I disagree. As with all of us when in situations like this in which we can only control a few things one of those things we can control is our own integrity and keeping our word.

Not sure how it is overly harsh to expect DVDFab to keep their word.

Have a good day Kelson. Will be interesting to see as you have pointed out if the "phone home" aspect of DVDFab will be impaired for we US customers.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 568 Old 06-02-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Also unanswered: DVD Fab 9 phones home constantly to get decryption data and make sure you have a registered copy (somewhat ironic). If they check your localization settings after the install, you are defeated no matter what country you get the download from.

No problems there at all, works fine for both the activation process and the update checks. The DVDFab folks are not trying to prevent anyone using the software, they are just trying to placate the movie gods.
post #393 of 568 Old 06-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Been catching up. I am behind for dvdfab updates, I think end of march or early april was my last update. I have a lifetime license, dvdfab usually does the update check via startup. Does someone with dvdfab lifetime care to confirm if they have ability for the program to download updates and also whether any update will cripple my existing install? Just need confirmations as I am not sure of these mirrored links you guys are talking about are meant for someone who may not have a lifetime.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #394 of 568 Old 06-02-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

No problems there at all, works fine for both the activation process and the update checks.
For now.
Two months ago they assured the lifetime users that they would always be supported -- how's that turned out.

The media guns are aimed at DVD Fab and they smell the blood they have drawn. They won't relent in their efforts to shut down any avenue for updates.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #395 of 568 Old 06-02-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Been catching up. I am behind for dvdfab updates, I think end of march or early april was my last update. I have a lifetime license, dvdfab usually does the update check via startup. Does someone with dvdfab lifetime care to confirm if they have ability for the program to download updates and also whether any update will cripple my existing install? Just need confirmations as I am not sure of these mirrored links you guys are talking about are meant for someone who may not have a lifetime.
If you are in the US and install the latest 9.1.5.0 update from the DVD Fab site, you will lose all BluRay decryption ability -- the reason you bought DVD Fab in the first place. The recent discussion here has been about the possibility of getting the European version that is not decryption crippled.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #396 of 568 Old 06-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

If you are in the US and install the latest 9.1.5.0 update from the DVD Fab site, you will lose all BluRay decryption ability -- the reason you bought DVD Fab in the first place. The recent discussion here has been about the possibility of getting the European version that is not decryption crippled.

Thanks! I normally get updates via the auto update. Is that the same? It does it in the GUI, not the website.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #397 of 568 Old 06-02-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

I normally get updates via the auto update. Is that the same?
Yes, the same. As long as it comes direct from DVD Fab, you are screwed.

Try the download from the link I posted above. Install it to its own directory so you don't overwrite your current working copy. If it doesn't work you can delete it. If you try it, let us know what it does either way.

- kelson h

post #398 of 568 Old 06-02-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not true. The program does not "update" to 9.1.5.0. The newest version installs to a completely separate folder, leaving the original install untouched, and 2 separate and functional programs.

The program update feature just opens the Fab download page. Hard telling what it will do in the future, but the old install remains untouched with this update.
post #399 of 568 Old 06-03-2014, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

So you guys over in North America can't download either of the three DVDFab applications listed here?

Cheers

Works fine if you browse using TorBrowser and you make sure your relay exit is not in the US....
post #400 of 568 Old 06-03-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Not true. The program does not "update" to 9.1.5.0. The newest version installs to a completely separate folder, leaving the original install untouched, and 2 separate and functional programs.
Even though v9 has an auto-update feature, I never used it. I always downloaded the installer and kept it after the install in case I would ever need to go back or wanted to install it to a separate folder. That is why I still have a copy of the gold-36 installer which is the last version of DVD Fab for which the free HD Decrypter still functions with recent releases. I generally have more than one version of DVD Fab installed.

You are either misinterpreting or nit-picking my post for my use of the work "update". The take-home message is that the US version 9.1.5.0 of DVD Fab obtained from DVD Fab using a US IP address no longer has BluRay decryption. In order to decrypt BluRay you need to continue to use an older pre-9.1.5.0 version. Once that older version no longer works for new BD protections you are screwed for new releases unless you can obtain a European verson of DVD Fab that is not crippled.

The other point I was trying to make in another post is that nothing will stay the same for long because a lot of DVD Fab blood is in the water and the media sharks are circling close. DVD Fab 9 in the US continues to be very vulnerable because unlike v8 it is not a stand-alone program. With the release of v9, DVD Fab became server dependent -- it phones home not only to check your registration but to get the latest decryption cracks from the beijing servers. That is good because it allows old versions to continue working with new releases until a new version is needed for new protection advances. It is also bad because if those IP addresses are ever blocked by US ISP's, DVD Fab 9 will be dead in the water no matter where you get it from. Don't think the sharks are unaware of this.

- kelson h

post #401 of 568 Old 06-07-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the information Kelson. It was very helpful.
post #402 of 568 Old 06-09-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That provide links like this: http://174.142.97.100/download/DVDFab9150.exe that they claim are for the rest-of-the-world versions. Apparently you don't need a VPN, just the right IP address. Remains to be seen.
Update:
I have checked out this build of 9.1.5.0 which is supposedly the non-crippled Eu version -- it looks to be legit.

It is not decryption crippled like the 9.1.5.0US build, it has BD decryption capability. Licensed users will be happy. However, the free HD Decrypter in this build does not work for new releases -- this is the same situation for all the other US builds after gold-36 (build 9.1.3.6, first release). I tested this build with I, Frankenstein and The Legend of Hercules -- the free HD Decrypter pops up a stop-screen and tells you to buy or update your DVD Fab license.

In contrast, the free HD Decypter in the gold-36 build ripped them both without issue. Gold-36 remains the last version of DVD Fab in which the free HD Decrypter still works. Of course, it is on borrowed time.

- kelson h

post #403 of 568 Old 06-09-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

That's the problem with figuring out how to grab a non crippled version. Even if you get one, it is still essentially "crippled".

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #404 of 568 Old 06-09-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

That's the problem with figuring out how to grab a non crippled version. Even if you get one, it is still essentially "crippled".
For the free version, yes, crippled. Not if you have a licensed version.

I never understood why they gave away a free decrypter -- Any DVD doesn't. So it is kind of funny when posters in the DVD Fab forum try to get on their case about the free HD Decrypter not working for new releases -- I don't have a problem when their ego-maniac moderators tear them up over the free decrypter. Still, there is no argument from me that the un-crippled Eu versions may not always be as easily obtainable.

The path DVD Fab has taken is clear -- but not something we welcome. In order to keep selling their software in the US they had to remove the BD decryption capability. I guess they weren't going to be allowed to do that as long as they continued to support the old licensees with decrypting updates. But I find it deceptive that they don't explicitly spell out on their website that their software doesn't decrypt. I find it deceptive because they are laughably trying to sell the software for the same very high price that it sold for with decryption -- it's like trying to sell an empty wine bottle for the same price it was when filled with wine. The whole value of their software was the decryption. The rest of the utilities they packaged in and split up into modules so they could extract more $$ were second rate at best and outperformed by many free utilities. I think they are assuming that people will buy a US license and then know enough how to get a European build to get the full capabilities they've paid for. Not a very good business model.

- kelson h

post #405 of 568 Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Apparently some supposedly buy their media but want their software for free.

Gary J
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #406 of 568 Old 06-09-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Not really Gary. DVDFab pushed their free decryptor themselves. It was their sales hook.

As my licenses run out I'll be transitioning away from DVDFab.

post #407 of 568 Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
From what I've read here and there over the years, people were increasingly hesitant to buy the license since the free decrypter worked so well. That's why the latest protections could initially only be circumvented with the licensed version. I agree, a 30 day trial like with AnyDVD would have been better to "educate" customers.

Things can only get better
post #408 of 568 Old 06-10-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

That's why the latest protections could initially only be circumvented with the licensed version.
Somewhere from the release of v9, that seems to have been relaxed. Perhaps it is because of the server dependent nature of v9, but I have the 9.1.3.6 build (gold-36) of the free HD Decrypter running on my Media-PC. The trial period has long since expired and yet I have been able to use it to rip all the most recent titles I'm interested in.

Although I bought a license a very long time ago, I never do more with DVD Fab than I could do with just the free HD Decrypter -- I rip the full disk to my HDD and go from there with other utilities. I will occasionally use the Main Title feature of the free HD Decrypter to identify the proper playlist of a title that is heavy with playlist obfuscation, but that is pretty much it. All my ripping is full disk to PC-HDD. The rest of the DVD Fab features in the BD Copy module are geared towards burning the unprotected title back to a BD-R -- something I have little interest in doing.

- kelson h

post #409 of 568 Old 06-10-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Somewhere from the release of v9, that seems to have been relaxed. Perhaps it is because of the server dependent nature of v9, but I have the 9.1.3.6 build (gold-36) of the free HD Decrypter running on my Media-PC. The trial period has long since expired and yet I have been able to use it to rip all the most recent titles I'm interested in.

I'm still on 9.1.3.2 and so far I haven't run into any recent titles I couldn't rip yet either...of course I emphasize the word yet.
post #410 of 568 Old 06-12-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Kelson 

That provide links like this: http://174.142.97.100/download/DVDFab9150.exe that they claim are for the rest-of-the-world versions. Apparently you don't need a VPN, just the right IP address. Remains to be seen.

Update:
I have checked out this build of 9.1.5.0 which is supposedly the non-crippled Eu version -- it looks to be legit.

It is not decryption crippled like the 9.1.5.0US build, it has BD decryption capability. Licensed users will be happy. However, the free HD Decrypter in this build does not work for new releases -- this is the same situation for all the other US builds after gold-36 (build 9.1.3.6, first release). I tested this build with I, Frankenstein and The Legend of Hercules -- the free HD Decrypter pops up a stop-screen and tells you to buy or update your DVD Fab license.

In contrast, the free HD Decypter in the gold-36 build ripped them both without issue. Gold-36 remains the last version of DVD Fab in which the free HD Decrypter still works. Of course, it is on borrowed time.
If I update to an EU version manually, with the automatic update pull EU in the future or will I keep going back to US restricted? Or can I stay in the BETA channel?
post #411 of 568 Old 06-12-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post
If I update to an EU version manually, with the automatic update pull EU in the future or will I keep going back to US restricted? Or can I stay in the BETA channel?
The download you get depends on your IP, nothing else. the program no longer updates itself internally, it just opens the download page in a browser. So you have to keep getting the EU version. That said, there's no reason to seek out new revisions unless there's a problem with a specific disc.
post #412 of 568 Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The download you get depends on your IP, nothing else. the program no longer updates itself internally, it just opens the download page in a browser. So you have to keep getting the EU version. That said, there's no reason to seek out new revisions unless there's a problem with a specific disc.
What about the BETAs? Are they country specific now?
post #413 of 568 Old 06-13-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What about the BETAs? Are they country specific now?
Again: All downloads from the DVDFab site are region specific.
post #414 of 568 Old 06-13-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

" That said, there's no reason to seek out new revisions unless there's a problem with a specific disc. "

Well there is the matter of the money we spent for licenses of which part covered the assurance we'd be able to update any time DVDFab was updated.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 06-13-2014 at 06:34 PM.
post #415 of 568 Old 06-13-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
" That said, there's no reason to seek out new revisions unless there's a problem with a specific disc. "

Well there is the matter of the money we spent for licenses of which part covered the assurance we'd be able to update any time DVDFab was updated.
Yeah, it's one thing to stop selling because of an injunction, but removing features and support for existing lifetime customer is unacceptable.
post #416 of 568 Old 06-14-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

Yeah, it's one thing to stop selling because of an injunction, but removing features and support for existing lifetime customer is unacceptable.
Just what did you expect from a Chinese company selling software that at its best was only marginally legal here in the USA?

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #417 of 568 Old 06-14-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Marginally free? I have no idea what you software you are referring to if you think the license fees for DVDFab are accurately described by "marginally free".

post #418 of 568 Old 06-14-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Help me understand here a bit. If I already have a lifetime license and live in the us, I will no longer receive updates? HOWEVER, if I use a VPN such a Private Internet Access and change my ip address to ..say UK london... then I CAN download the updates and be ok with all the latest decryption available?
post #419 of 568 Old 06-14-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

[quote=olyteddy;24973113]
Quote:
Just what did you expect from a Chinese company selling software that at its best was only marginally legal here in the USA?
Well, actually since it was a chinese company we kind of expected them to keep thumbing their nose at the MPAA and the US legal system -- what else would you expect from a country that embraces piracy as a major pillar of their economy.

- kelson h

post #420 of 568 Old 06-14-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
Help me understand here a bit. If I already have a lifetime license and live in the us, I will no longer receive updates? HOWEVER, if I use a VPN such a Private Internet Access and change my ip address to ..say UK london... then I CAN download the updates and be ok with all the latest decryption available?
Pretty much as you say.

In a nutshell: there are two versions of every update -- the US version that does not have BD decryption capabilities and the rest-of-the-world version that does have BD decryption capabilities. If you download an update from an IP address that is a US IP address then you will get the US version with no BD decryption. It will have all the cosmetic updates to the interface and the mediocre utilities that make up the DVD Fab package but it won't have the decryption capability that you actually bought the software for. If you download from a European IP address you get the rest-of-the-world version which is the full version including BD decryption -- what we used to get before the blockade.

- kelson h

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page