DVDFab website blockked - Page 21 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes
post #601 of 622 Old 04-28-2015, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Clicking on a link to a hinky site, ignoring warnings from your security software and then downloading and installing a file is quite a stupid thing to do. This is exactly the kind of thing any IT security person will tell you not to do.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 622 Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 383
How does a direct link to the DVDFab download server qualify as a "hinky site"? Fab left that door open for a reason, but if you don't feel like utilizing it nobody is forcing you. Calling people stupid just displays your own lack of understanding.
jsmiddleton4 likes this.
post #603 of 622 Old 04-28-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
Clicking on a link to a hinky site, ignoring warnings from your security software and then downloading and installing a file is quite a stupid thing to do. This is exactly the kind of thing any IT security person will tell you not to do.
I dare you!

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #604 of 622 Old 04-28-2015, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Did you bother to look beyond the 'Danger Will Robinson' page? I did... http://safebrowsing.clients.google.c...hrome&hl=en-US

Quote:
What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 261 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 2 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2015-04-28, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2015-02-26.
Quote:
Has this site hosted malware?
No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

PS: THAT is exactly the kind of thing any IT security person WOULD ACTUALLY DO!

Last edited by olyteddy; 04-28-2015 at 09:25 PM.
post #605 of 622 Old 04-28-2015, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Does not even deserve an answer.
Right. OR you realized how stupid your comment was since with that attitude you'd never been able to download ANY software from the net and thus not post here. But okay, whatever makes you feel safe.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #606 of 622 Old 04-29-2015, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'm done arguing with *******s on the internet. I was supplied with a link to an IP address of questionable provenience and chose to play it safe by not downloading a file from it. That does not in any way indicate that I do not know what I am doing. I have a VPN and can easily download the file from the official site. Why in God's name would I take the chance? If you equate caution with ignorance, that's on you. The very real IT security experts I work with always recommend erring on the side of caution when it comes to clicking on links of unknown origin and I'm sorry, but I am not taking that origin for granted simply because some anonymous person on a web forum says it is safe. Could I have spent a bunch more time trying to vet the source? I suppose, but why? I have a VPN. It is less work to open a tunnel to Canada.

Also, there is no reason to be such a dick to people. I do not come here to be insulted by self-righteous know-it-alls.

Scott
post #607 of 622 Old 04-29-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm done arguing with *******s on the internet. ...
Also, there is no reason to be such a dick to people. I do not come here to be insulted by self-righteous know-it-alls.
Got a mirror? Advising people to not use an IP address is IMO plenty 'self-righteous know-it-all'. Especially in thread about how a URL is blocked by the name servers. Advising intelligent people to make an informed decision (again IMO) is better than offering this:
Quote:
Clicking on a link to a hinky site, ignoring warnings from your security software and then downloading and installing a file is quite a stupid thing to do.
PS: Who are you calling stupid?
post #608 of 622 Old 04-29-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Could I have spent a bunch more time trying to vet the source? I suppose, but why? I have a VPN.
Well, one reason why would be to help out those people who don't have the skills to do a VPN and would benefit from a direct download site but who may have similar concerns as yours. Open your VPN to www.dvdfab.cn, download the uncrippled EU version of DVDFAB9199 and do a file compare to the uncrippled EU version downloaded direct from http://174.142.97.100/download/DVDFab9199.exe. It seems your skills would be up to this positive action and would provide valuable information.

That's what I did here in this post from yesterday to demonstrate the EU DVDFAB9198 downloaded from an alternate 3rd party website was identical to EU DVDFAB9198 downloaded direct from http://174.142.97.100/download/DVDFab9198.exe.

But then what do I know. I'm just some anonymous guy hanging around a web forum for the last 11 yr.
olyteddy and blackssr like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 04-29-2015 at 07:45 AM.
post #609 of 622 Old 04-29-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm done arguing with *******s on the internet. I was supplied with a link to an IP address of questionable provenience and chose to play it safe by not downloading a file from it. That does not in any way indicate that I do not know what I am doing. I have a VPN and can easily download the file from the official site. Why in God's name would I take the chance? If you equate caution with ignorance, that's on you. The very real IT security experts I work with always recommend erring on the side of caution when it comes to clicking on links of unknown origin and I'm sorry, but I am not taking that origin for granted simply because some anonymous person on a web forum says it is safe. Could I have spent a bunch more time trying to vet the source? I suppose, but why? I have a VPN. It is less work to open a tunnel to Canada.

soooo did you download it from the link provided? I did and I lived and so did my server and 4 workstations. Take chances man and live life.:-). And who exactly are these "real IT security experts"?

Last edited by blackssr; 04-29-2015 at 08:39 AM.
post #610 of 622 Old 04-29-2015, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Well, one reason why would be to help out those people who don't have the skills to do a VPN and would benefit from a direct download site but who may have similar concerns as yours. Open your VPN to www.dvdfab.cn, download the uncrippled EU version of DVDFAB9199 and do a file compare to the uncrippled EU version downloaded direct from http://174.142.97.100/download/DVDFab9199.exe. It seems your skills would be up to this positive action and would provide valuable information.

That's what I did here in this post from yesterday to demonstrate the EU DVDFAB9198 downloaded from an alternate 3rd party website was identical to EU DVDFAB9198 downloaded direct from http://174.142.97.100/download/DVDFab9198.exe.

But then what do I know. I'm just some anonymous guy hanging around a web forum for the last 11 yr.
Kelson, Why are you causing so much trouble?

post #611 of 622 Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Kelson, Why are you causing so much trouble?
I guess I just crave the attention.

Be good to your mother. She provides a valuable service to the forum by ferreting out all those correct playlists from Lions Gate titles.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #612 of 622 Old 04-29-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I guess I just crave the attention.

Be good to your mother. She provides a valuable service to the forum by ferreting out all those correct playlists from Lions Gate titles.
Mom is in NY visiting her sisters for a couple of months.

post #613 of 622 Old 04-29-2015, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Says the guy who in the same post wrote this:

Quote:
I'm done arguing with *******s on the internet.
Impressive.

Still don't know what bearing a VPN would have on wether an exe is infected or how likely DVDFab's exe is more risky than all the other exes you download from the net. Somehow I just don't seem to care though.

Tech Flaws
post #614 of 622 Old 04-30-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Another piece of positive information to comfort those concerned about the validity of uncrippled EU DVD Fab versions downloaded from direct download site: http://174.142.97.100/download/DVDFab9199.exe

When DVD Fab announces an official update release, they publish the MD5 and SHA1 hash codes for the download -- both for the crippled US version and the uncrippled EU version. For the current EU DVDFab9199, those codes are:

MD5: EA53E45E5FBA624055E907E1EBFBFCB6
SHA1: B1BEA3E20716F6C0D7E6D045E6BE9E7CDB75E9B2

I just generated the MD5 and SHA1 hash codes for DVDFab9199.exe downloaded from the direct link above and they match exactly with the official DVD Fab published codes. I use this useful web-app to do the hash-code generation and compare: http://onlinemd5.com/

Anyone concerned can, and should, do this for every new version of DVD Fab they download from the direct site -- first to ensure that your download proceeded without error and subsequently to confirm the validity of the file.

This should put the issue to rest.

- kelson h

post #615 of 622 Old 04-30-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Another piece of positive information to comfort those concerned about the validity of uncrippled EU DVD Fab versions downloaded from direct download site: http://174.142.97.100/download/DVDFab9199.exe

When DVD Fab announces an official update release, they publish the MD5 and SHA1 hash codes for the download -- both for the crippled US version and the uncrippled EU version. For the current EU DVDFab9199, those codes are:

MD5: EA53E45E5FBA624055E907E1EBFBFCB6
SHA1: B1BEA3E20716F6C0D7E6D045E6BE9E7CDB75E9B2

I just generated the MD5 and SHA1 hash codes for DVDFab9199.exe downloaded from the direct link above and they match exactly with the official DVD Fab published codes. I use this useful web-app to do the hash-code generation and compare: http://onlinemd5.com/

Anyone concerned can, and should, do this for every new version of DVD Fab they download from the direct site -- first to ensure that your download proceeded without error and subsequently to confirm the validity of the file.

This should put the issue to rest.
Interesting and handy. Even though I don't use this program any longer I followed your instructions and downloaded the file, then used the website link you provided to check the MD5 hash code. It checked out fine.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #616 of 622 Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If someone, anyone, wants to d/l the full featured DVDFab in the US please feel free to do so. And as I stated before you don't need to use some blind link. There are a bazillion cover your IP "proxy" sites available to be able to d/l to the US from Chinese based servers that allow you to d/l from an offshore web site directly. So the whole file size, check sum, MD5 thing is irrelevant.

If you think you are doing so and you are in the U.S. and in doing so are taking no risk you are misguided.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #617 of 622 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 383
^^^
Good grief, give it a rest.
post #618 of 622 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
If someone, anyone, wants to d/l the full featured DVDFab in the US please feel free to do so. And as I stated before you don't need to use some blind link. There are a bazillion cover your IP "proxy" sites available to be able to d/l to the US from Chinese based servers that allow you to d/l from an offshore web site directly. So the whole file size, check sum, MD5 thing is irrelevant.

If you think you are doing so and you are in the U.S. and in doing so are taking no risk you are misguided.
And you'd actually trust an unknown proxy than simply 'Whois' an IP address? JEEZ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
^^^
Good grief, give it a rest.
^^^Yeah, that^^^

PS: @jsmiddleton4 ...Are you by chance Haywood Jablomi's alt?
post #619 of 622 Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, you think mindlessly repeating it will somehow make it true? And this even after a year where nothing happened?

Tech Flaws
post #620 of 622 Old Today, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 41
"And you'd actually trust an unknown proxy than simply 'Whois' an IP address?"

Lots of folks do including VPN services that "hide" one's actual IP.

"And this even after a year where nothing happened?"

Well when it does......and it will......ask DVDFab.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #621 of 622 Unread Today, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"And you'd actually trust an unknown proxy than simply 'Whois' an IP address?"

Lots of folks do including VPN services that "hide" one's actual IP.

"And this even after a year where nothing happened?"

Well when it does......and it will......ask DVDFab.
That's all fine and good but guess what...A URL is as easy (if not easier) to spoof than an IP address. And because so many more folks use URLs it's a sure bet there are many more exploits aimed at them than at IP addresses. Bottom line is nothing is 'safe' but some things are safer than others. Me, I trust a verifiable IP address over an unknown proxy, public VPN or even a URL.
post #622 of 622 Unread Today, 01:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 933
What the heck happened to this thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page