Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #61 of 563 Old 03-13-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Moral of story... we (consumers) want to (and will) continue to consume content as we want, w/o restrictions on what we've bought (at least I hope) smile.gif. If there are no more Blu-rays and only DRM'd digital content, I won't be collecting anymore. But, what studios don't get is that any DRM can be (and has already been) broken too. They should just make content reasonably-priced and high quality, and usable non-DRM, and most of us will happily keep buying.
denass and mrfattbill like this.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 563 Old 03-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Couldn't agree more

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #63 of 563 Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It really is a silly costly dance isn't it. Hollywood spends money coming up with the encryption. We pay for their cost when we buy their products. Then someone else breaks the encryption and we pay them for their software that does so.

We pay no matter what and I find it interestingly inconsistent that folks get mad at Hollywood because of their incentive being profit BUT those who write the software to break the encryption for the very same motive, profit, are perceived as heroes.

Ah the world is such a looney place......

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #64 of 563 Old 03-13-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, then why aren't my rights protected? That defies logic.
post #65 of 563 Old 03-13-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbanks204 View Post

Well, then why aren't my rights protected? That defies logic.

Its actually quite logical. It's the golden rule: he who has the gold - rules.
If you spend millions on lawyers to hang around court rooms, your rights will be similarly protected.
post #66 of 563 Old 03-13-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

In the end analysis, it doesn't matter. There will always be ways to circumvent controls and also piracy, and all studios do is make those of us who actually pay for their overpriced media jump through hoops to enjoy it on our own terms. If they smartened up (little chance), they'd make media affordable like I said and playback agnostic (no controls) and we'd happily pay. Heck, I'll even continue to fall for re-releases, extended cuts and remasters.

post #67 of 563 Old 03-13-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 202
post #68 of 563 Old 03-13-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder how big their market share was? I've never looked at their software. Mostly has been DVDFab and AnyDVD. I know there are others are they making enough money to stay in this market?

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #69 of 563 Old 03-13-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That's sad. I've used many of Aiseesoft's fine products, although not the ripping capability. But we all know the world needs more lawyers, not more useful software products.
post #70 of 563 Old 03-14-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

As far as SlySoft goes, aren't they located in some Caribbean country to avoid U.S. and int'l companies going after them?

post #71 of 563 Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

As far as SlySoft goes, aren't they located in some Caribbean country to avoid U.S. and int'l companies going after them?

http://www.slysoft.com/en/about.html

-Bill
post #72 of 563 Old 03-14-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

So if a global governing body thinks software like DVDFab is a violation of the certainly global entertainment industry......

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/us-to-relinquish-remaining-control-over-the-internet/2014/03/14/0c7472d0-abb5-11e3-adbc-888c8010c799_print.html

post #73 of 563 Old 03-14-2014, 10:33 PM

Liked: 10
post #74 of 563 Old 03-15-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 202
post #75 of 563 Old 03-16-2014, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm guessing they typed into Google blu-ray ripping software and just started targeting the top results.

Certainly some tools haven't been picked on yet.
post #76 of 563 Old 03-16-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure they did their research before picking a target. The main criteria would undoubtedly be that the company have some assets in the U.S. that they could target. Remember, the lawyers want to get paid.
post #77 of 563 Old 03-16-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

My understanding is the legal action taken in America is based on going after companies least likely to send someone to the preliminary hearing. With no representation from the "other" side, the preliminary filings get approved intact.

I'm not so sure the lawyers need any assets from the other side to be available in America. The lawyers are already getting paid by their clients.

Companies in China are good targets because they'll not be sending someone to the US to appear in court.

post #78 of 563 Old 03-16-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 313
If they piss off china too much they will just threaten to refuse to finance any more of our dept. If that ever happened you would see the Administration and Congress throw Hollywood under the bus faster than Lindsay Lohan can get in and out of rehab.

Seriously, has anyone who uses DVD Fab had any kind of trouble using DVD Fab after the domain block. They simply changed the .com to .cn and issued an update and that is the end of it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #79 of 563 Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

I'm not so sure the lawyers need any assets from the other side to be available in America. The lawyers are already getting paid by their clients.

"A New York federal court has granted the seizure of several domain names, bank funds and social media accounts belonging to DVD ripping software company DVDFab." "Judge Broderick also ordered several banks and payment providers to freeze or stop processing the company’s funds."

Action not worth pursuing unless there's money involved.
post #80 of 563 Old 03-16-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't say money isn't involved. Said the lawyers weren't depending on that money to act. They are acting on behalf of their clients who are paying them. Any money that might be available is just icing on the cake.

This isn't some personal injury law firm doing these things. They are well paid by the entertainment industry.

post #81 of 563 Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Eventually, I think this goes the way of audio which now has digital files completely free of DRM.

If Slysoft and DVDFab don't exist then there will be opensource programs.
post #82 of 563 Old 03-17-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

http://torrentfreak.com/companies-withdraw-blu-ray-rippers-following-dvdfab-lawsuit-140314/

post #83 of 563 Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 199
DVDFab is now BluFab. Program updates are available which include the changes.
post #84 of 563 Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yup, but don't forget according to the industry it is illegal to rip your own copy, even if you purchased and physically possess... My guess the industry sees this as the only approach since the "hackers" are apparently a lot smarter than the folks in the industry responsible for the security/encryption of the discs ...

How long before AnyDVD is targeted???

Hackers are no smarter than the engineers who develop the copy-protection. You have to remember there is a DVD standard that copy-protected discs need to follow to be able to play on all players. Copy-protection, at best, is considered excellent if it remains un-cracked for several weeks, giving the studios enough time to get a proper return on their investments. Many companies forgo the protection after 90 days.
It's actually good to see some of the worst offenders getting shut down. It's not the innocent backups the industry is against. It's the clerks at big box stores, rental stores, or other vendors who steals the new titles prior to their street date and copy them to Cyber-Lockers for anyone and everyone to copy. These are the offenders AACS and others are focusing on. Once a Cyber-Locker has been notified of copyrighted materials being copied from their site, they have 24hrs to shut it down, or be penalized. If they don't they can be shut down. You can make the recording industry the "bad guys" for trying to keep their intellectual property protected, but it's the rippers, too impatient to wait a few weeks so the studios can get their ROI, who make it necessary. It costs the recording industry millions in sales. It can cost up to $0.20 per disc for copy-protection.
There is no copy-protection I know of that can't be circumvented. Ripper's know the same rules as the studios. As long as there are those with too much time on their hands willing to break the law for what little notoriety they receive from their peers, there will always be copy-protection. I know. I work in the industry and partially responsible for protecting the Twilight series, Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Ender's Game... BTW. AnyDVD has been targeted for many years. They're just located in a part of the world where copyrights aren't protected. But, where there's a will, there's always a way.
post #85 of 563 Old 03-18-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls View Post

There is no copy-protection I know of that can't be circumvented.
Although not technically a disk "copy-protection" mechanism, Cinavia has pretty much stymied the hackers. DVD Fab gave up on trying to remove Cinavia years ago and I don't think Any DVD ever made a serious effort. Any media player (including PC players) that has a BDA license must support Cinavia which is pretty much why we don't have any new media players that support full BD menus.

So while Cinavia does nothing to prevent the physical copying or ripping of a disk, it restricts what you can do with that copy on licensed hardware.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #86 of 563 Old 03-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I was never really concerned about Cinavia. I stopped copying discs, years ago. I just want to copy the digital file to my hard drive of my media player and/or media server to watch it. Like many on this thread, I've been doing this for a long time and I'm not going to stop. I purchased the disc and I'll watch the content the way I want to.
post #87 of 563 Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by En Sabur Nur View Post

I was never really concerned about Cinavia. I stopped copying discs, years ago. I just want to copy the digital file to my hard drive of my media player and/or media server to watch it. Like many on this thread, I've been doing this for a long time and I'm not going to stop. I purchased the disc and I'll watch the content the way I want to.

That still can involve Cinavia if played back on a media player that supports Cinavia.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #88 of 563 Old 03-18-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

That still can involve Cinavia if played back on a media player that supports Cinavia.

Are there any of those that aren't "real" bluray players? On a PC the "real" bluray player software like TMT and PowerDVD are mandated to enforce it. Windows Media Center/Player, Media Player Classic, VLC, etc don't detect it at all.

Are there consumer electronics devices now that detect it? I'm not talking about bluray players, I mean the NeoTVs and WDTVs of the world.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #89 of 563 Old 03-18-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

"Many companies forgo the protection after 90 days."

Huh? If I buy a bluray that is older then 90 days the copy protection is gone?

"That still can involve Cinavia if played back on a media player that supports Cinavia."

Huh? Which media player is tripped up by Cinavia? Bluray players? Yes. But media players?

post #90 of 563 Old 03-18-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Media player in the sense that some BD players are also media players. I'm not sure if any non disc players have cinavia.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page