29Likes

post #121 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If it won't decrypt, why use it?

Looks like we're going to have AnyDVD as the only option in the future?

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Perhaps they'll do as DVD NextCopy did and offer an un-official decrypting library like machinist2.dll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

If it won't decrypt, why use it?

Looks like we're going to have AnyDVD as the only option in the future?
Perhaps they'll do as DVD NextCopy did and offer an un-official decrypting library like machinist2.dll.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Yeah I bet you will start to see a unofficial patch floating around out there for Blufab that turns decryption back on.
post #124 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls View Post

If it were your intellectual property, your lively-hood, maybe you would sing a different tune.

I was in the content production business for 34 years and I can assure you that I would not have the disregard for the end users that most BD providers have.

post #125 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

"an un-official decrypting library"

Could be. Thought the China portal meant they were beyond the reach of any US legal action as in why would they need anything "unofficial".

I've been around DVDFab a long time. Since 3.x version days. The reason for using the software is the decryption ability. If you have to use AnyDVD, or something like it, to decrypt the bluray, again, why bother with DVDFab?

If we're moving back to using the stand alone tools to get the job done, might as well just stick with those tools and be done with DVDFab.

It is the case that many of us paid DVDFab for licenses that involved decryption features. At least they didn't pull the rug out from under us quite yet. We'll have no recourse if they do however. It is after all China.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #126 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Given the way some of us use products like DVDFab to put archive of DVD/Bluray to a media server one has to wonder IF we are not going to be able to do so easily and we are back to sticking disk in our bluray players, if sales of media server devices will take a big hit.

Since DVDFab linked their software to what for all practical purposes is their attempt to develop a media server have to wonder what hit their media server sales is taking....

post #127 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Just a guess: BluFab does no decryption and so will be legal. But a decrypting layer from an unknown source will be available that integrates easily. (You could do it with AnyDVD now. Passkey? I've never used that).

This is how DVD playback has always worked on Linux. Everyone's DVD access goes through libdvd, which is perfectly legit, but it checks the system for optional library libddvdcss, which does the decrypting. Access to DVD is transparent to the application.

If the FAB people want to stay out of court they have to be a bit cagey about this.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #128 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

"If the FAB people want to stay out of court"

Stay out of whose court? The point of moving to a Chinese address is no US court has jurisdiction.

post #129 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 12:18 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

"If the FAB people want to stay out of court"

Stay out of whose court? The point of moving to a Chinese address is no US court has jurisdiction.

Legal harassment extends beyond .com addresses.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #130 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Meanwhile, here's the latest development in Fab Land...New buyers won't get decryption...http://www.myce.com/news/dvdfab-9-only-for-existing-customers-blufab-for-new-users-70896/ This is a fairly significant developement...
Interesting. Why would any new customer pay a nickel for "BluFab" let alone $108 for a BluRay Copy module license if it does nothing more than any number of free utilites. The only reason anyone would buy DVD Fab was for the decryption. Most of the other operations it provided, like compression and even making an .iso, were inferior to what you got from free open utilites.

On their forum they say that current licensee's of DVD Fab will continue to receive support for DVD Fab (implying decryption) and not to change over to BluFab -- they will honor their user's lifetime licenses. But who is going to buy a new copy of DVD Fab if it can't decrypt? Not in the U.S. anyway, which means a big hit on their revenue stream.
jsmiddleton4 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #131 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

But a decrypting layer from an unknown source will be available that integrates easily.

If that's the case, how long before a bogus update containing a virus and/or malware would find it's way into the stream?
post #132 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 03:49 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

If that's the case, how long before a bogus update containing a virus and/or malware would find it's way into the stream?

How would the case be different than any other piece of software?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #133 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Up to this point all updates came from the official site of DVDFab putting the risk pretty much nil. Unless there's an official site to download updates then the risk is much greater. Do you think otherwise?
post #134 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 05:16 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

Up to this point all updates came from the official site of DVDFab putting the risk pretty much nil.

Commercial products have shipped with malware before. One official site doesn't protect against that.
Quote:
Unless there's an official site to download updates then the risk is much greater. Do you think otherwise?

It depends on who makes each component and how careful they are. My system comes from many sources.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #135 of 568 Old 03-21-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

In response to a post in another section of this forum: http://forum.dvdfab.cn/showthread.php?t=24830

post #136 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

You're so good at putting words in my mouth I'll let you continue this on by yourself.
Yeah, that's what people usually say when they run out of arguments. No surprise there.

Quote:

Not sure what's happened to you, but I'm not going to be responsible for someone finding you balled up in a corner in the fetal position, twitching, covered in feces, muttering "DA*N YOU DRM!"
So, if I'm putting words in your mouth, what was that? Conjecture, projection? A final attempt at sarcasm? It's almost funny that you seem to be incapable to grasp the simple fact that I don't have any problems with DRM. I bypass it and where it's impossible, simply do without the product. Tough luck for all the people whose livelihood depends on selling that product, no?

Quote:

You seem to be putting a pretty big target on yourself.
Uh-oh, pretty scary! Another not so veiled thread like the one you made about something being done about Slysoft?

Quote:

Tech Flaws, seems appropriate, but incomplete..
Says the guy with "fall" in his nick. Funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

The arguments and rebuttals will contain little facts
If you'd like, I can show you links for all my points. Pretty sure he can't.

Quote:

I'm just not ready to break the law for a little inconvenience.
So, now it's you who suddenly decides for everyone what's a little inconvenience? Funny how that works. Others are not willing to have their fair use rights stolen by a greedy industry. If laws go against social norms, guess who wins in the long run?

Quote:

I suppose you also run through stoplights because they slow you down. If it were your intellectual property, your lively-hood, maybe you would sing a different tune.
And again with the insinuations, flawed analogies and misdirection. Wow, you just can't help yourself.

Things can only get better
post #137 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

Meanwhile, here's the latest development in Fab Land...New buyers won't get decryption...http://www.myce.com/news/dvdfab-9-only-for-existing-customers-blufab-for-new-users-70896/ This is a fairly significant developement...
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy 
It's a pity that some people will use any thread to push their agenda. Frankly I'm surprised that no one has chimed in that Plasma beats LCD hands down. Any way, this thread seems to have degenerated into a pissing match between kjfalls and techflaws.

Where does it say that you do not get decryption?

http://www.dvdfab.cn/blu-ray-copy.htm
post #138 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 07:20 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

See the link in #135 above.

What they are doing is still unclear to me.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #139 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

Quote:

-Bill

Yes, the most recent version.

BluFab 9.1.3.6 for Windows (March 21, 2014)

Please note: Starting from this update 9.1.3.6, BluFab will no longer decrypt any DVD and Blu-ray protections. You will have to find other possible solutions if your disc is copyright protected.

What about this free program? Will this still be available?

http://blufab.cn/dvd-decrypter-review.htm
post #140 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy 
It's a pity that some people will use any thread to push their agenda. Frankly I'm surprised that no one has chimed in that Plasma beats LCD hands down. Any way, this thread seems to have degenerated into a pissing match between kjfalls and techflaws.

http://www.myce.com/news/dvdfab-removes-dvd-and-blu-ray-ripper-from-blufab-70914/

post #141 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Even if dvd decrypter is available it is old, decryption methods not updated.

For those of us who have used DVDFab for some time, DVDDecrypter is where it all started.

DVDFab is built on and continues to use, and I hesitate to use the term as it can start a whole new flame war, open source programs. Folks who are more adept at and experienced in using some of those open source tools will usually point out how programs like DVDFab are nothing more than fancy GUI's that link to those open source tools.

Which brings the thing back to the decryption ability. That is really the sole reason to use a program like DVDFab. Everything else DVDFab does, can be done often times more easily with other software.

I've bashed DVDFab's business/software testing decisions ever since moving to DVDFab V9. This current decision while confusing is at least consistent with several of their other confusing decisions over the last 18 months.

While I was not going to renew any licenses and look more closely at ANYDvD this summer, I might renew maybe one license with DVDFab to keep my "existing customer" status alive.

post #142 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

-Bill

Quote:

Yes, the most recent version.

BluFab 9.1.3.6 for Windows (March 21, 2014)

Please note: Starting from this update 9.1.3.6, BluFab will no longer decrypt any DVD and Blu-ray protections. You will have to find other possible solutions if your disc is copyright protected.

What about this free program? Will this still be available?

http://blufab.cn/dvd-decrypter-review.htm
As a DVD Fab user, I don't have a clue what is going on or where they are going. They play everything very close to the vest and roll out bits and pieces. Their forum is absolutely no help. People ask direct questions and the moderators respond by critiquing their grammar or telling them not to ask such questions again.

I can only speculate that the US legal actions had a real impact on the way they can do business and they are scrambling to put things in place to circumvent the actions in a way that makes them immune from future actions. They are not bothering to take the time to reassure their customers and tell them what is coming -- they are just doing it and when it's done the dust will settle and we will all see the new landscape.

So I have the last official version of DVD Fab that still decrypts. I will just use it until such time as I find a disk that it won't work on then hope the dust has settled and I can get an update path that once again works.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #143 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

"makes them immune from future actions."

They are in CHINA. They are immune to any actions in the US.

The only thing that matters to them is what the Chinese government does.

My guess is they see this as an opportunity to bleed end users yet one more way. They will break out the decryption piece and for "new" users you will need to buy a separate license for it.

We "old users" already paid for the decryption ability.

Breaking out a piece which will allow them to charge for it individually is very much DVDFab's style.

post #144 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Even if dvd decrypter is available it is old, decryption methods not updated.

They are not referring to the classic DVD Decrypter but to their DVD Fab HD Decrypter which is the free decrypter version of their software.

As an aside, the classic DVD decrypters may be old, but darn if they don't still work. I have mentioned before that with the advent of BluRay they don't seem to be investing in DVD copy protection any more. I just used DVD Shrink (talk about classic and "out-dated") last night to rip the DVD version of Disney's Frozen without issue. That was somewhat of a shock.

- kelson h

post #145 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

And it can only copy "some old dvd's or blurays...."

It is old and not updated as I stated.

http://www.dvdfab.cn/hd-decrypter.htm

Nothing surprising at all about DVD's still copying. The structure they had to follow in encrypting DVD's has not been updated. "Old" dvd ripping software works just fine. Hollywood can't just toss out a new encryption technology. The only way a new DVD encryption is going to be in the market is if it goes through the process to get it accepted in the industry. The cost not worth it for DVD's. And the ripple effect, dvd players not able to decode it and needing firmware updates, means the market is not going to allow it. The hardware makers are not going to spend any resources updating firmware for just DVD players.

My DVDFab 3 does dvd's just fine.

Doesn't DVD Shrink still need a decryptor? DVD Shrink rolled into early Nero's, which I also still have, and as I recall when stand alone and then when part of Nero didn't decrypt anything.

post #146 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They are in CHINA. They are immune to any actions in the US.

The only thing that matters to them is what the Chinese government does.
I too assumed that but apparently it is causing them more grief than we can imagine. We simply don't have the facts and how they apply.

The HD Decrypter module has always been free. Although I have the licensed version of DVD Fab I have an unregistered version on my Media-PC. I only ever use DVD Fab to do a full-disk rip and identify the proper playlist when necessary. I have not found a new disk that I cannot rip with the free HD Decrypter -- for what I use it for, buying a license was a waste of money.

- kelson h

post #147 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nothing surprising at all about DVD's still copying. The structure they had to follow in encrypting DVD's has not been updated. "Old" dvd ripping software works just fine. Hollywood can't just toss out a new encryption technology.
That's not true. Before BluRay took off there were plenty of protection add-on's (compatible with standard DVD players) that Hollywood threw on disks that thwarted DVD Decrypter and Shrink which only dealt with CSS. That was the reason I started using DVD Fab in the first place. I have lots of DVD's that could not be ripped with DVD Decrypter and Shrink and needed DVD Fab -- I have over 750 ripped DVD.iso on my servers. My point is that once BluRay took off they seem to not be bothering with adding these extra protections beyond CSS any more. To be able to rip a new Disney blockbuster with Shrink a couple years ago would have been unheard of.

- kelson h

post #148 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

And let us not forget RipIt4Me. To this day the details of the FBI 'cease and desist' order still aren't public... https://www.google.com/search?q=RipIt4Me&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS487US487&oq=RipIt4Me&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=RipIt4Me+legal+action

post #149 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Good for you Kelson. I own no DVD's that my old DVD only software can not archive.

DVDFab forking their products only makes sense if they can make more money. Watch for it......

post #150 of 568 Old 03-22-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Been so long I couldn't remember details. But Shrink did do some decryption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Shrink

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page