Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
post #151 of 575 Old 03-22-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
DVD Shrink 3.2 will always be able to decrypt any CSS-encrypted DVD that follows the standard. What it won't handle is any of the many DVD structure corruption schemes that were invented as copy protection measures in the years after the author discontinued development.

DVDFab may be immune to the peculiar quirks of U.S. law, but how are they going to get paid when U.S.-based companies subject to U.S. law control the major methods of payment? Is everyone going to use Bitcoins, or do we have to start promoting some of the more obscure alternatives to Paypal that aren't based in the U.S.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 575 Old 03-22-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 466
DVD Shrink has always done decryption for as long as I've used it. Once CSS was cracked by the Scandinavian kid "DVD Jon" a general code module (DCSS) was available that was used by all the guys writing code. DVD Decrypter was generally preferred because it is much faster to rip a DVD than Shrink was but DVD Decrypter only ripped or burned an .iso and did nothing else. With Shrink you could extract the main title to an .iso. Also, Shrink has a 2-pass encoder used to reduce the size to fit on a DVD-R and would link to DVD Decrypter to use it's burning module. The burning module of DVD Decrypter was actually quite excellent. After they were threatened and shut down like DVD Shrink the ripping and burning code base (without DCSS) of DVD Decrypter became ImgBurn which today still remains one of the best .iso tools out there.
TheKrell likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #153 of 575 Old 03-22-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

DVDFab forking their products only makes sense if they can make more money. Watch for it......
I don't doubt it. It has always annoyed me that they fragmented their software into modules and started charging separately for what we used to get in one package. But then again, I only need one module for BluRay so they can make as may other modules as they want. The point remains -- without decryption, who would consider buying their software?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #154 of 575 Old 03-22-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It'll be a bundled deal.

Probably more like Passkey or the way AnyDVD works now.

You can use whatever software you want but IF you use blufab you'll get a discount and it will articulate more easily.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #155 of 575 Old 03-23-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 263
With DVDFab being shut down, PavTube is offering their decrypter free today (3-23-14) only: http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/pavtubebytecopyv1.0-728/###
post #156 of 575 Old 03-23-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link. D/L it now.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #157 of 575 Old 03-24-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
damn missed it. Can anyone grab me a copy.

thanks.
post #158 of 575 Old 03-24-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 837
I downloaded it but then I found out that it can't do lossless audio. My plan was to use this to create an MKV from some BD titles.. But without the ability to create a lossless track, it's pretty much worthless for me. I was thinking that I could use this as a replacement to makeMKV, but I guess not.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #159 of 575 Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Physical media is flawed and has a limited lifespan.
I predict that DVD's and Blue Rays will eventually go the way of the dinosaur.
VCR tapes are no longer offered on any new release.
Even DVD's are starting to disappear as the switch is being made to blue ray.

When the movie industry realizes this, they themselves will be offering downloadable/streaming movies.
I know they already offer a digital download for blue rays, but eventually it will (should) be for any and all video media.
Since they are failing to do this, other companies have come along to offer this service.
For the streaming side you have Netflix, Google, etc...
For creating your digital copy of the movie, DVDfab, PavTube, etc..

As for the movie industry complaining about other people doing the job that "they" are supposed to be doing, wake up!!
Change your business model to match customer demand. Movie industry you get an F, you are failing your customer.
Create a system that satisfies the honest customer who only wants to be able to play your media on any number of devices and who wants to be able to store them on media servers so the media will not be lost. Then you can go after the big offenders who are actually pirating your media and gaining profits from it, without degrading your honest customers.

Me a customer, has lost many movies due to VCR tapes degrading, or by kid damage. Wouldn't it be a good world if the movie industry offered a movie recovery service so that the only thing I would have to do it log onto ???.com and enter my code that proves I own the movie (pay a small fee $1 max) and to be able to have a digital download of that movie so I can watch it again? Wouldn't it also be nice if that movie lost zero quality?
StratmanX likes this.
post #160 of 575 Old 03-24-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
^ The problem is the assumption that the movie industry cares about the consumer, which they really don't . They want the consumer to purchase their goods under the Movie Industry's terms, and even better if the consumer is forced to double or triple dip with purchases...

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #161 of 575 Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishMouse View Post

Even DVD's are starting to disappear as the switch is being made to blue ray.

Maybe you mean Blu-ray.
post #162 of 575 Old 03-24-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

With DVDFab being shut down, PavTube is offering their decrypter free today (3-23-14) only: http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/pavtubebytecopyv1.0-728/###

By 'being shut down', are you talking about the inability of new customers to purchase decryption? Because current customers still have full access to a regularly-updated product.
post #163 of 575 Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder how things will shake out for people who have DVD Fab but only use the free HD Decrypter -- i.e. unlicensed users.

I'll find out for myself since I have unlicensed versions of DVD Fab 8 & 9 installed on my Media-PC. Up to this time I haven't acquired a BD that I could rip with the licensed versions on my desktop but couldn't rip with the free HD Decrypter on my Media-PC.

- kelson h

post #164 of 575 Old 03-24-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I predict that DVD's and Blue Rays will eventually go the way of the dinosaur.
I predict that they won't. There will always be physical media to store content.

Quote:

Wouldn't it be a good world if the movie industry offered a movie recovery service so that the only thing I would have to do it log onto ???.com and enter my code that proves I own the movie (pay a small fee $1 max) and to be able to have a digital download of that movie so I can watch it again? Wouldn't it also be nice if that movie lost zero quality?

No, because they would make you pay through the nose for it, they would cripple it into uselessness with DRM and they would not provide it indefinitely so all your investments would be lost eventually once they decided to turn off the servers cause "they are too expensive to maintain". They've done it before, you know.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #165 of 575 Old 03-24-2014, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I wonder how things will shake out for people who have DVD Fab but only use the free HD Decrypter -- i.e. unlicensed users.

I'll find out for myself since I have unlicensed versions of DVD Fab 8 & 9 installed on my Media-PC. Up to this time I haven't acquired a BD that I could rip with the licensed versions on my desktop but couldn't rip with the free HD Decrypter on my Media-PC.

I have read that the Decrypter part has been removed from the latest version. Not sure how true that is.

I have the free version, so when I tried it to see if it still functioned, I stopped it going to the web to download the current version just in case. Doing that it ripped my DVD just fine. I realise people ripping blurays will often need the latest version though.
post #166 of 575 Old 03-24-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The timing seems strange considering that DVDFab have been around for a long time and Bluray decryption is not a new thing. The cat is well and truly out of the bag.

It may suggest that a new physical format is coming and this is the first in a series of pre-emptive moves to reduce the capability and finances of some players in the decryption industry.
post #167 of 575 Old 03-24-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by elario View Post

The timing seems strange considering that DVDFab have been around for a long time and Bluray decryption is not a new thing. The cat is well and truly out of the bag.

It may suggest that a new physical format is coming and this is the first in a series of pre-emptive moves to reduce the capability and finances of some players in the decryption industry.

We already know that a new 4K BD format will be coming out soon.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #168 of 575 Old 03-24-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

We already know that a new 4K BD format will be coming out soon.

Hah. No we dont. The best you can say is that we know that plans are underway. But we've known that for some time.

To say that you know it's coming out soon.... no, you don't.
post #169 of 575 Old 03-24-2014, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

#1 - If the movie industry is just against pirates, why in the blazes are they trying to kill off Kaleidescape?

#2 - And why can't I buy a movie in Germany and play it in my BD player here? (underlying question being why have region codes anyways)

#3 - doesn't MakeMKV decrypt the disks too?

#4 - I think there will eventually be 1080p streaming with hi def audio. Once Amazon does it, Netflix will have to do it and after that, everyone will have to do it.
pdxrealtor and TeflonSoul like this.
post #170 of 575 Old 03-25-2014, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

And in a violation of net neutrality the providers will make Netflix and Co pay through the nose for it which they will shift on the consumer (who'll also max out their caps). Brave new world.

Tech Flaws
post #171 of 575 Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

#1 - If the movie industry is just against pirates, why in the blazes are they trying to kill off Kaleidescape?
Is that really true? I would have thought Kaleidescape's pricing structure would have done that all by itself. Anyway, they probably view it as a "foot in the door" kind of thing they want to nip in the bud. Oppressionists always start off with a zero tolerance policy.
Quote:
#2 - And why can't I buy a movie in Germany and play it in my BD player here? (underlying question being why have region codes anyways)
That is pure control on their part to prevent the world market so they can set regional pricing.
Quote:
#3 - doesn't MakeMKV decrypt the disks too?
Yes, but it apparently is flying under the radar and it is harder to shut down free utilities -- no payment processing infrastructure they can disrupt.
Quote:
#4 - I think there will eventually be 1080p streaming with hi def audio. Once Amazon does it, Netflix will have to do it and after that, everyone will have to do it.
Internet costs will eventually make this Brave New World unfordable. People bitch about their cable bills, but in the end a shift to Internet streaming will eventually result in people paying more for less through ala carte pricing and bandwidth surcharges.

- kelson h

post #172 of 575 Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

And in a violation of net neutrality the providers will make Netflix and Co pay through the nose for it which they will shift on the consumer (who'll also max out their caps). Brave new world.
Haven't you heard? The Supreme Court has struck down the notion of net neutrality because the FCC doesn't have the stones to declare Internet access a regulated utility like copper phone lines and POTS.

Net Neutrality is a legally undefined term -- they can't be accused of violating what doesn't exist.
TheKrell likes this.

- kelson h

post #173 of 575 Old 03-25-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is that really true? I would have thought Kaleidescape's pricing structure would have done that all by itself. Anyway, they probably view it as a "foot in the door" kind of thing they want to nip in the bud. Oppressionists always start off with a zero tolerance policy.

Wikipedia has a decent summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaleidescape. Also see this article. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/08/kaleidescapes-dvd-appeal.html
Quote:
That is pure control on their part to prevent the world market so they can set regional pricing.

Which only serves to underscore that the studios aren't merely out to prevent piracy. They are actively using tactics to undermine the free market. On virtually any other product, I'm free to buy a product overseas and pay the customs/shipping fees. But the studios have created licenses so that players sold will only read discs encoded for a particular region.

And they do stuff, IMHo, that's worse than that. The HDCP junk often forces users to buy products like AnydvdHD just to watch their lawfully purchased products (because if hardware is not recognized as HDCP compliant, like a stupid monitor then it will not play). I'm pretty upset about HDCP because I can't play movies I buy on my own computer (until I upgrade my Dell 2405).
Quote:
Yes, but it apparently is flying under the radar and it is harder to shut down free utilities -- no payment processing infrastructure they can disrupt.
Internet costs will eventually make this Brave New World unfordable. People bitch about their cable bills, but in the end a shift to Internet streaming will eventually result in people paying more for less through ala carte pricing and bandwidth surcharges.

This is an interesting perspective. I also believe that those who get rid of cable will end up paying just as much for streaming content and/or lose the ability to avoid commercials.
post #174 of 575 Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Well piracy is an issue. Are media providers using it to justify a heavy handed approach? Sure. But to say piracy is not a primary issue simply is not true.

How do you prevent piracy but allow single users to make legitimate archive backups?

Any ability to make a copy means ANYONE can make a copy and then copies and more copies.

In other words piracy.

Tell me how you make an original so copies can be made by individual owners but prevent piracy off the one original and you might have a solution.

"The HDCP junk often forces users to buy products like AnydvdHD just to watch their lawfully purchased products"

Really? Name one movie that due to HDCP forces anyone to have to buy ANYDVD to watch said move. ANYDVD, which I'm thinking about buying by the way, as with DVDFab is not used in that fashion. They are used so we can watch our movies without using the disk or the disk player. Not to address some problem in the market that forces us to use them in order to watch our movies.

post #175 of 575 Old 03-26-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Net Neutrality is a legally undefined term -- they can't be accused of violating what doesn't exist.
Just because it hasn't been legally defined yet (partly thanks to the FCC's ineptitute and them letting the telco lobbyists water down their regulation attempts), it doesn't mean there's a clear definition that is being violated by providers. If it wouldn't exist, AT&T wouldn't try this pitiful attempt: AT&T promises to lower your Internet bill if FCC kills net neutrality.

Quote:

Well piracy is an issue.
Probably. Is it as big as the industry keeps whining on about? Definitely not (see box office records). Does DRM do anything about it? Definitely not.

Tech Flaws
post #176 of 575 Old 03-26-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

"Probably. Is it as big as the industry keeps whining on about?"

Define how big it has to be so that it is big enough to be an issue......

I wish it wasn't so. I wish the whole industry that is on one side encryptors and on the other decryptors did not need to exist. That is a pipe dream.

Until a process is in place that tries to prevent piracy but allows individual owners to make archives of their purchased products, what we see now is not going to change.

The idea that more folks than less folks use software like DVDFab to JUST make archives of purchased software is quite the stretch. DVDFab, ANYDVD, the others, are most certainly being used to make pirated copies of unowned media.

Piracy is stealing. It is amazing to me to see the convoluted justifications that are posted in an attempt to justify what is simply stealing.

Back to the subject at hand. Am continuing to watch for DVDFab's posting of a "new" product that will add decryption to BluFab. I'm sure its being worked on already.

post #177 of 575 Old 03-26-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

The idea that more folks than less folks use software like DVDFab to JUST make archives of purchased software is quite the stretch. DVDFab, ANYDVD, the others, are most certainly being used to make pirated copies of unowned media.

Do you have support to back this up, why is it a stretch? Are you assuming that more people are getting their hands on physical discs that they did not purchase than those who actually purchase/own the disc?

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #178 of 575 Old 03-26-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Back to the subject at hand. Am continuing to watch for DVDFab's posting of a "new" product that will add decryption to BluFab. I'm sure its being worked on already.
I follow their forum and no substantive information has come out. They are scrambling and keeping their cards close to their vest. All the focus is on the DVD Fab package and removing the decryption capabilities in the "new" BluFab product. However, PassKey -- their commercial AnyDVD clone of a resident decrypter -- seems to be chugging along and not a part of the circus. That is quite confusing to me. I would think PassKey to be in the gun sights also.

DVD Fab's business is world-wide, not just to the US market. The world at large could care less what the US legislates in our boarders. So I am curious if the US courts seizure of the DVDFab.com domain impacted people in other countries trying to connect to DVDFab.com. From their website, it certainly seems as though it has.

- kelson h

post #179 of 575 Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

Really? Name one movie that due to HDCP forces anyone to have to buy ANYDVD to watch said move. ANYDVD, which I'm thinking about buying by the way, as with DVDFab is not used in that fashion. They are used so we can watch our movies without using the disk or the disk player. Not to address some problem in the market that forces us to use them in order to watch our movies.

I agree with most of your post (piracy and IP theft is a huge problem) but HDCP is a nightmare. The HDMI cord you're using could cause HDCP to fail. Windows Media Center uses HDCP and I often get errors flipping between my HTPC and my Xbox because it doesn't establish the connection quickly enough.

Your display has to support HDCP for legit bluray software to play (using unlicensed freeware doesnt have this problem). Many monitors, older televisions w/ DVI, and probably some no name brand televisions don't support HDCP. Your PC software doesn't detect a secure connection, instead worried you're plugged into capture device, and throws errors and prevents you from playing a lawfully purchased disc with lawfully purchased software.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #180 of 575 Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

"Do you have support to back this up..."

Well sorta. Studies and research? None on my own.

My daughter worked at Blockbuster before they shut down. I can assure you a large part of their business was people renting new releases to take home and "archive".

But if you want to believe these kinds of software packages are not being used to pirate media, please feel free to do so.

I have friends who have assembled a cloud kind of storage of nothing but "archived" media. They are not the only ones I know who have done so. Anyone who has access can watch movies off their "cloud". Only one disk has been purchased and the copies are not being used for personal use only.

I could go on.....

But again, please feel free to believe what you wish and fits your perspective of how DVDFab and the likes are being used.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming