AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Starting a new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarcia View Post

Has anyone else experience DVDFab website having major problems yesterday, and being totally offline today?

Bryan

Thank you to wmcclain for this link with more details: http://www.myce.com/news/breaking-dvdfab-website-blocked-by-movie-industry-70729/

-Bill
amesdp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Unlike DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter, I'm sure they won't go quietly.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:34 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Old 03-10-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I just re-ripped The Hunger Games - Catching Fire with DVDFab 9.1.3.1, and it had no problem phoning home (or it didn't need to). So in the short term the program still seems to be usable.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I just re-ripped The Hunger Games - Catching Fire with DVDFab 9.1.3.1, and it had no problem phoning home (or it didn't need to). So in the short term the program still seems to be usable.

But the problem will be with updates won't it? There needs to be periodic updates to address new titles.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 03-10-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
As mentioned, they won't go quietly. It's gonna be whack-a mole.tongue.gif

DVDFab announced:

"Existing bookmarks for either site may not work from some locations, so temporary sites for both are being prepared and will be online shortly,” a company spokesman says, pointing users to dvdfab.jp.

The dvdfab.jp website was specifically mentioned in the injunction, but it's still working for now. There will be no lack of websites hosting the software, can they all be banned?

Payments may be a more difficult proposition. The preliminary injunction prohibits several banks, along with PayPal, Amazon Payments, Visa and Master Card from processing the company's funds.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 250
There are other 3rd party payer services besides PayPAl. We've been here before with both Fab and AnyDVD, and they got around it then. Shell companies and 3rd party payers. If I'm not mistaken, the domains are blocked only for US users.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ugh I wish I had updated..... Anyone have luck? I am a release or two behind.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Ugh I wish I had updated..... Anyone have luck? I am a release or two behind.
According to: http://club.myce.com/f116/dvdfab-sites-blocked-335575/ there are new links.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Still working: http://en.dvdfab.jp/

And here's a fresh update for the software: http://en.dvdfab.jp/download.htm
Dougofthenorth likes this.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This I find funny. As these programs are used a lot for legit people backing up there programs. This will push people to more piracy.

These company's don't think.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

This I find funny. As these programs are used a lot for legit people backing up there programs. This will push people to more piracy.

Yup, but don't forget according to the industry it is illegal to rip your own copy, even if you purchased and physically possess... My guess the industry sees this as the only approach since the "hackers" are apparently a lot smarter than the folks in the industry responsible for the security/encryption of the discs ...

How long before AnyDVD is targeted???

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 03-11-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 808
They are probably next on their list.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 03-11-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Imagine if the movie industry put this much effort into releasing good movies ... tongue.gif
TheKrell, Phrehdd, reddice and 1 others like this.

Cheers,
Damian

Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Imagine if the movie industry put this much effort into releasing good movies ... tongue.gif

How much could they lower the prices of BD movies if they just stopped paying lawyers?
TheKrell, reddice and 72.9.159.100 like this.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
They were ruled to violate the circumvention provision of the U.S.-only DMCA law, which makes it illegal to provide tools to rip copy-protected DVDs even for fair-use purposes. There is no similar law in most other countries.

The U.S. court can use its jurisdiction over domain-name registrars and payment processors with a U.S. base to enforce an injunction, but maybe they should be more prudent in applying those remedies. You can see why the rest of the world is becoming increasingly concerned and resistant to continued U.S. control over these vital parts of the internet economy. Expect more trouble in future negotiations over international control of the internet structure and international payment systems.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The problem has always been. If you buy a copy of the movie you own it.

I started back up and streaming because of my Daughter, and have had lots of DVD's that have gone bad. This is an investment for me and I don't want to throw away my money.

Heck it Kailadascape was cheaper and brought to the masses I could very well take off. But its not. Which make us do it our own way.

I want a untouched Blu-ray 1:1 copy and none of the streaming crap.

The more Hurdles these companies do will only piss off people. Wait till everyone relieses that they will need new receivers and blu-ray players for 4k because of copy protection. A lot of people just upgraded for 3d.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:41 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Currently back up at http://dvdfab.cn/

New version and coupon available. Some of their links are still to the .com site and won't work.

-Bill
Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

The free version of the program is still available on CNET's Download.com (U.S.-based), along with other DVD rippers. Quick, sue CNET!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 426
I just downloaded the latest DVD Fab 9132 by going through the http://dvdfab.cn/ site.

This was tried once before and it didn't take long for them to punch holes through it. These are the guys that crack all the new BD+ protections within a day of the disks release -- when they are not doing that they are hacking into the secure sites of the industrial nations for the chinese government. Does anyone think taking down their domain is going to cause them even a drop of sweat?

Hollywood will never learn they are helpless.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 03-11-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

The problem has always been. If you buy a copy of the movie you own it.

I started back up and streaming because of my Daughter, and have had lots of DVD's that have gone bad. This is an investment for me and I don't want to throw away my money.

Heck it Kailadascape was cheaper and brought to the masses I could very well take off. But its not. Which make us do it our own way.

I want a untouched Blu-ray 1:1 copy and none of the streaming crap.

The more Hurdles these companies do will only piss off people. Wait till everyone relieses that they will need new receivers and blu-ray players for 4k because of copy protection. A lot of people just upgraded for 3d.

The problem is that you don't buy a copy of the movie. You buy a license to use the movie under the studios lengthy license agreements.

I started streaming for similar reasons. I got tired of having volumes of discs that I had to page through in order to select a movie. These binders were difficult to organize and I had to have storage room to keep multiple binders. Alternatively, you had to have racks and racks of BD/DVD boxes somewhere. Streaming from a home server solved all of that and encouraged me to buy more movies because I had easy access to use them within my home.

The problem with 3D is that people aren't upgrading to get 3D. They may be upgrading and decide to get 3D as a feature but in general, 3D hasn't been a very big factor for people to upgrade. 4K is another feature designed to sell TVs. It wont work either.

I think the studios are on the wrong side of this. What they need to do is to sell a digital copy of the movie that is full 1080p with HD sound. Or offer streaming service for such. Or both.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The studios don't want you making a backup copy. The studios want you to accept their 20 page licensing agreement and use their product only when and how they tell you.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Making a backup copy is legal fair use. The problem is that the DMCA makes circumvention of copy protection illegal even if it's for fair use. It's analogous to breaking into someone's house to take back the lawn mower they borrowed from you last year. It may be your lawn mower, and legal for you to take it, but breaking and entering (circumventing their door lock) is still against the law, as is possession of burglary tools. Of course there's another provision of the DMCA that says it must be effective copy protection to trigger a violation of the circumvention provision, and one could argue that DVDs do not have effective copy protection.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Making a backup copy is legal fair use. The problem is that the DMCA makes circumvention of copy protection illegal even if it's for fair use. It's analogous to breaking into someone's house to take back the lawn mower they borrowed from you last year. It may be your lawn mower, and legal for you to take it, but breaking and entering (circumventing their door lock) is still against the law, as is possession of burglary tools. Of course there's another provision of the DMCA that says it must be effective copy protection to trigger a violation of the circumvention provision, and one could argue that DVDs do not have effective copy protection.

I don't think that is a fair analogy. It's more like your lawn mower will only work on mowing grass but you want to mow some weeds on an empty lot you own. But the lawn mower wont work on anything except grass because of some anti-theft measure installed on the lawn mower that checks to make sure the lawn mower is only being used on grass. But not only does it check to make sure it is only being used on grass, the grass must be approved and licensed grass from Home Depot.

So while using the lawn mower you bought on the empty lot you own is technically lawful, it is for all practical purposes impossible because cutting the little red wire to disable the anti-theft measure to allow you to actually do so is illegal.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

I don't think that is a fair analogy. It's more like your lawn mower will only work on mowing grass but you want to mow some weeds on an empty lot you own. But the lawn mower wont work on anything except grass because of some anti-theft measure installed on the lawn mower that checks to make sure the lawn mower is only being used on grass. But not only does it check to make sure it is only being used on grass, the grass much be approved and licensed grass from Home Depot.

So while using the lawn mower you bought on the empty lot you own is technically lawful, it is for all practical purposes impossible because cutting the little red wire to disable the anti-theft measure to allow you to actually do so is illegal.

That is why I have someone cut my lawn these days tongue.gif

Cheers,
Damian

Old 03-11-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is why I have someone cut my lawn these days tongue.gif

That only works until the Lawn Mowers Industry Association sues your lawn service for illegally mowing lawns that don't belong to them. biggrin.gif
Old 03-11-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That only works until the Lawn Mowers Industry Association sues your lawn service for illegally mowing lawns that don't belong to them. biggrin.gif

Well now you are just raining down on my parade mad.gifbiggrin.gif

I was just having a conversation with another "knowledgeable" individual, reminiscing on all the changes/crackdowns going back to Napster. One item, I wonder if the Movie Industry will eventually move more to the route of the Music Industry, which basically embraced ripping your CDs after a long fought battle?

Cheers,
Damian

Old 03-11-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

I was just having a conversation with another "knowledgeable" individual, reminiscing on all the changes/crackdowns going back to Napster. One item, I wonder if the Movie Industry will eventually move more to the route of the Music Industry, which basically embraced ripping your CDs after a long fought battle?

One would have thought they could learn from the music industry and get ahead of the game rather than fight a losing battle.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know if I quite understand the music model. Why do people keep complaining about the ability to pass music onto their kids? Is it because it's all in the cloud and the cloud belongs to you? I use iTunes and my music is on my hard-drive as well as all my devices. I'm not sure why it would be so difficult to simply hand a hard-drive over to my kids (like they'd want my music anyways).
Old 03-11-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't know if I quite understand the music model. Why do people keep complaining about the ability to pass music onto their kids? Is it because it's all in the cloud and the cloud belongs to you? I use iTunes and my music is on my hard-drive as well as all my devices. I'm not sure why it would be so difficult to simply hand a hard-drive over to my kids (like they'd want my music anyways).

No issues now. I know a while back Apple employed DRM so even if you ripped a cd it was locked to your account. That is no longer the case. For example, when you buy a CD from Amazon they have a Autorip service that will actually rip the files for you and save to the cloud. There is no drm so you can use as you please.

Cheers,
Damian