AVS Forum banner

Searching for the absolute best Media Streamer !! DUNE ZAPPITI, POPCORN HOUR A410, Mede8er MED600X3D

35K views 126 replies 37 participants last post by  WMConey 
#1 ·

Hi I am new to this forum and I just want to have your toughs about having the best media streamer on the market.

I have currenthly the Western Digital TV live but with my Windows 8.1 it has trouble finding my my shared files on my PC. So I will keep my Western Digital for the apps ( VUDU, NETFLIX, HULU PLUS ) and will buy a new media streamer that will do the job with no assles.

what I want in a media streamer  with no particular order :

1) blazing fast WI-FI connection ( I have a brand new AC 1900 ASUS RT-AC68U ) and Ethernet connection at 1000 mbps

2) Play BD ISO with full 3d support and all the other formats available

3) Web browser

4) The best menu for user interface

5) Zappiti or equivalent Media Center with the best description for the files ( aspect ratio, sound format, bitrate, ect )

6) Play AND decode DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, PCM 7.1, FLAC 24 bits 192KHZ 7 channels

I am living in Québec, Canada so I want to be able to order it and receive it at home. So In the meantime can you give me dealers names where I can purchase the product.

My first choice will be a Zappiti player, is the Mede8er or Popcorn are better solutions ?

Thanks for the advice

Xavier

See less See more
#102 ·
Is http://www.mediaconceptusa.com the recommended place to purchase a Mede8er 800X3D in the US?

They promptly answered a couple basic questions.

Then when I asked some detailed questions its been radio silence.

Below is what I asked:
Quote:
Is there a native video output/mode setting? I want to make sure that no conversion/scaling is happening in the player and that I'm seeing whatever resolution and frame rate the movie is at without having to change the output resolution every-time.

And assume that playing 3D frame packed ISO or MKV from a NAS works?

I understand I will need a fast and robust wired network.

TL

#104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric  /t/1522065/searching-for-the-absolu...-hour-a410-mede8er-med600x3d/90#post_24665716

1. there no media player doing source direct. So the answer is no.

2. yes it will play from your NAS, as long as you use ethernet and not wifi

Thank you.

No native seems to be the general consensus. It would be nice but I can live without it.

Does anyone know if Is http://www.mediaconceptusa.com is a legit supplier for mede8er?

Thanks

TL

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1522065/searching-for-the-absolu...-hour-a410-mede8er-med600x3d/90#post_24665748

Thank you.

No native seems to be the general consensus. It would be nice but I can live without it.

Does anyone know if Is http://www.mediaconceptusa.com is a legit supplier for mede8er?

Thanks

TL

Yes they are and never had a problem with dealing with them.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1522065/searching-for-the-absolu...-hour-a410-mede8er-med600x3d/90#post_24665748

Thank you.

Thanks

TL

That's where I got mine from. Fast shipping and they even made sure the firmware was up to date before they shipped.

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi  /t/1522065/searching-for-the-absolu...-hour-a410-mede8er-med600x3d/90#post_24668885

Had the same issues as you. In the end I went with XBMC which has the best UI, and a number of options for it too. I use powerdvd for my 3D playback.
Yes XBMC is nearly perfect.

I'm running Openelec on a Zotac Zbox and it's very good.

Wish there was someway for 3D support for the Linux builds.

Will see how the med8er works out.

#111 ·

We used 2 Years of a Dune HD Smart D1, which was absolutely rock solid and played everything fine incl. HD sound formats. But with the new TV (Sony 65w855) we needed something to play (in fact stream from a Win8 "home server" by smb) 3D movies (also .iso).

After searching in internet reviews, communities etc. I ordered a mede8er 600X3D. Then I tested with various files including mkv's, .iso's, 3D stuff etc. After 2 weeks I returned the device since it was disappointing to me. Basically the mede8er played everything I gave it, but I noticed micro stuttering in all of the played movies and tv series. Especially in the moment where the picture changes (cut), a minimal micro stuttering was definitely noticeable. In just 1-2 movies I had minor problems with hard stuttering when chapter changed and DTS HD Master dropouts (network issues were not the problem, as I tested the same content with a USB HDD also). By the way I used the newest firmware. Despite of these errors the micro stuttering was the main reason to return the mede8er. I read a lot of very good reviews about the X3D devices but if you are a sensitive viewer you definitely notice the video processing between Realtek (even the very good mede8ers) and Sigma devices. After two weeks of mede8er we changed back to the Dune and I almost forgot how super smooth my content was running.

The next device I ordered was the PopcornHour A-410. With double the price and a not so comfortable jukebox solution (I used yadis on the dune and yadis2mede8er on the med), the PCH does a great job. The content runs super smooth like with the dune and picture quality is noticeable better. It plays everything without issues so far. I use the included Network Media Jukebox and edit my collection with NMJToolbox on the PC, which is a similar solution to yaDIS.

I just want to point out, that in a direct comparison between Realtek and Sigma devices you definitely see the difference in video processing. And I'm not talking about the 23.976 bug of realtek chips, this one is sorted out at least with the mede8ers. By the way I use the "Standard" setting of my Sony's MotionFlow and I really like the soft smoothening it does. Maybe this also increases the recognition of these micro stutters as the video always runs a little smoother than original.

Just give the PCH A-410 a try, when you evaluate streaming devices, as it is a really nice player!

Best regards

Oliver

Reactions: iatacs19
#123 ·
The next device I ordered was the PopcornHour A-410. With double the price and a not so comfortable jukebox solution
Just give the PCH A-410 a try, when you evaluate streaming devices, as it is a really nice player!
Oliver
Hello All,

my first question to PCH a410 experienced users:
Is there any particular simple remote control/air mouse compatible with a410?

I can buy something Linux/Win compatible, but not sure if it would work.
something simple like minix-neo-a2 or learning remote?

For example Air Mouse with Voice for Open Hour

"**Air Mouse is NOT compatible with Popcorn Hour"
cloudmedia.com/products/accessories/air-mouse-with-voice-for-open-hour-detail

#112 ·
Give the PCH-410......

Would love to. Can't find any in the U.S. as of yet.

#120 · (Edited)
Give the PCH-410......

Would love to. Can't find any in the U.S. as of yet.
I have been using a Dune Base 3 for the last several years and am about to jump into the 3d projection world. I may have to take a hard look at getting one of these 410's....

EDIT: Does the 410 offer a HDD option? )I prefer to use local storage over streaming)
How does the 410 handle 3D? What does the 2D PQ look like?
EDIT 2: Do any of the latest Dune player support full 3D BluRay iso's?

#115 ·
Not likely to do so. Other choices for media playback devices are available. Would like to see a side by side shoot out of similar products/similar price points and then we could see if PCH worth pursuing. Not going to test it and see and then if a problem have to deal with complicated returns.

Will watch for reviews of it though.

#116 ·
I checked their website cloudmedia.com and oddly they are out of stock for all their products, struck me as very strange, although their products look good.

#118 ·
I've been a user of Popcorn Hour for years. C200, the A300, and now the A400. Great product...except the NMJ!

I've only ever used the NMJ with the Popcorn...but lately, I need to try something else.

Movies and editing them is fine..but I've started to store music on an external drive..and the NMJ is not good.

I can't edit songs, or re-arrange playlist in the NMJ.

I hear about the NMJ tool editor, but I'm Mac here, no PC.

I guess I could run paralles, and use windows to edit.

My quesiton being...has anyone used the tool editor?

Can I arrange music playlists, id tags, etc?

And then it will fix these issues I'm having once I load it back to

the popcorn? I don't have my hard drives in a NAS, all of them I treat

as local media...and just upload new movies, music via my Mac.

Or should I look into a different NMJ, like YAMJ? or Plex?

Both of those will work on a Popcorn, right?

#119 ·
The PCH PLEX app is great, probably the best option, and plex all around is a superb experience. I recommend you spring for a plexpass.

Now as for me, I yearn to get off my PCH and build myself an HTPC. I am super tired of the many bugs and glitches and headaches with my A300.

#127 ·
There are two places you can hit "Play" in the user interface. One is for the entire album and it will play through all the files, the other "Play" arrow is visible if you select a specific file and that's what plays.

Took me a while to figure that out. The button below play in both cases also allows you to create playlists on-the-fly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.