Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-12-2014, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I have a real big problem;(

I tried to update the DSM to version 5.0 but it did not respond, so I turned the diskstation off and turned it back on. But now I try to enter it again via the Synology Assistent but is says that I have not installed it?? So I try to reinstall it again but then it gives me a warning that all my data will be erased???

message says: "Your diskstation has not installed any DSM. Setup Wizard will help you install DSM and complete the basic configurations.
NOTE! All data in the hard drive(s) will be deleted.

I have the DS1511+ and 2x the Dx1513 expansion, so total of 15x 3TB = 45TB of data.

There is no way to access my NAS now without installing the DSM..I think I turned the NAS of while it was updating the new DSM ;(

I really can't lose all of my data....

If I take out the HDDs, reinstall DSM and then put the drives back in, will it boot up and recognise the data (I didn't use any RAID configuration)?

(I don't care if things like Audio Station Media Index, Photo Station Index and Surveillance Station files are lost.)

I also tried to take out 1 hard drive and connect it to the PC but it does not recognize the hard drive

Can someone help me out?

Cheers,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Steve,

Indeed your data will be lost if you start from scratch. Try giving Synology a call and if they can't help then you need access to a PC that can read EXT3/4 formatted disks. That means Linux or installing a windows/mac driver that will allow them to read the disks such as this.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/

Then you'll have to copy each disk one by one and put them back in the nas to reformat and copy the data back to then. A long process for 15 drives, but doable.

Call Synology first though.

Jgiddyup
post #3 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That update could have taken up to 20 minutes. How long after you tried to update did you turn it off? I hope im wrong and you get all your data back but turning it off may have done your data in. Have you tired to access it by the ip address instead of the assistant?

Found this

http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/faq/579
post #4 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Do you not have your data backed up? A NAS is not a backup, but redundant storage, you really should have your data duplicated to a second location, I realize you have a lot of data, but its too risky to have it in only one location.
I agree and think you should give Synology a call and see what they say.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-16-2014, 04:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Steve,

My advice is the same as the others except that I'll add NEVER turn it off before contacting Synology support. I have the 1511 (and dx510) too and I have had a couple of scary times, consequently after restarts, that they have gotten me through with no loss of data. BTW, I also have a ds713+ and I'm running 5.0 on both units and it's best DSM they've had by far. Good luck.

Steve

Steve
post #6 of 8 Old 03-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

Steve,

My advice is the same as the others except that I'll add NEVER turn it off before contacting Synology support. I have the 1511 (and dx510) too and I have had a couple of scary times, consequently after restarts, that they have gotten me through with no loss of data. BTW, I also have a ds713+ and I'm running 5.0 on both units and it's best DSM they've had by far. Good luck.

Steve

Just curious have you ever had something disappear from your nas? My End of Watch dvd iso seems to have vanished on my 1812. Now i have to go in the basement and look thru my boxes and the the original. Only reason i noticed it was because i was adding something with Yadis and noticed Yadis couldn't find the movie so i had to delete it.

Also Smuller have you talked to Synology yet? Just wondering if you got it worked out yet?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-16-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post

Just curious have you ever had something disappear from your nas? My End of Watch dvd iso seems to have vanished on my 1812. Now i have to go in the basement and look thru my boxes and the the original. Only reason i noticed it was because i was adding something with Yadis and noticed Yadis couldn't find the movie so i had to delete it.

Also Smuller have you talked to Synology yet? Just wondering if you got it worked out yet?

I've had a couple that I assumed that I missed getting loaded but, never had anything that I was 100% sure had disappeared. I really hate when I discover that a movie I own is not on there and then I can't find the original disk. mad.gif

Steve
post #8 of 8 Old 03-16-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

Thank you for all your advice :-)

Hereby my update:

I received help from Synology and this was there reply:

"Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting Synology Support.

If you were using volumes with data protection (i.e. RAID1/5/6, which allows 1 or 2 failing disks), you can install DSM on a spare empty disk and then insert the remaining hard disks to read the data. (Please be advised that this is still risky. If one more hard disk fails during this procedure, then your data may be lost). Here are the steps:

1) Power off and remove all hard disks
2) Insert a spare empty hard disk in Slot 1
3) Power on and install DSM normally
4) Do not create any volumes. Power off DiskStation once DSM is installed successfully.
5) Insert the remaining old hard disks while keeping new spare disk in slot 1. (1 of your old hard disks may be left out.)
6) Power on DiskStation

Once the data in the old disks can be read, you should back them up to another place asap.

Or, you can go to Storage Manager and repair the system partition on the old hard disks. When it's done, you can remove the spare disk, install the original disk, and repair the system partition on the original disk. By doing this, your previous system configurations (user account, user privilege, application settings, etc.) will be erased, but the data in the shared folders will still be there.

If you need further assistance on this issue, please feel free to contact us again.

Best Regards,
Grant Cheng

Technical Support"

I bought a spare 3TB hard drive and installed the DSM 4.3 (so the one I previously used).

After that I had put all hard drives back in, restarted the NAS and all my data was still there :-) I was happy as kid.

Cheers,
Steve
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page