Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #361 of 1074 Old 04-10-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
You can put it in "sleep mode" ... or it goes to sleep itself. Sleep isn't "off" though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1074 Old 04-10-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Well when I purchase a show or movie I rather own it on physical optical media.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #363 of 1074 Old 04-10-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

No they don't which is very annoying. You can see that little HD / logo but sometimes you miss the Prime / logo so when you click on something it cost money and if you go to play it by accident and not pay attention then you gets charged for $3 for a episode. A real ripoff. I actually seen a video of someone doing this.

I think its very possible that amazon will improve the categorization and search capabilities for prime content ... infact they probably could do that, without even pushing a firmware update as these are all just web services. Similar the way that Apple can add a new "channel"/"App" to the ATV without having to update the devices firmware.

Many think this its just some kind of conspiracy to trick people into buying content, but i dont really see that .... at the end of the day, folks will move on to other devices and platforms if this doesnt provide some basic level of functionality for prime content ... and lets face it, there's plenty of other devices and platforms to consume the same content. Even prime only content.

For now, if you happen to have a iOS device and have the amazon streaming app, that offers nice discovery and search across prime content, where you can add selections to your watch list where they will be picked up on the FireTV.
post #364 of 1074 Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

As I said Amazon's own content plays awesome on this thing the third party apps not so much so I use my ATV3 for those and the Fire TV for Amazon. I really hope the devs with update the other apps in order to take advantage of its hardware.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #365 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

How are people configuring their Harmony remote to use the MCE IR dongle.

Are you adding a Media Center PC as a new device and then using that device in the Fire TV activity?

Thanks

OK so I now have it working. You will need to remap some buttons as described earlier.

Initially I had some issues where the Up, Down, Left, Right buttons appeared to click twice - ie if I pushed Right it moved two to the right. Everything else seemed to work great.

I tried troubleshooting in the harmony app with this option 'Media Center PC 4 responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally' and adjusted the level down and it mostly works (sometimes it still moves 2 or even 3 spaces).

So with this the Fire TV is doing what I bought it for - excellent Amazon Instant streaming. The picture quality is definitely a step from other Amazon streamers I have tried and hopefully the audio is as well (I haven't yet had a chance to try the DD+ audio at normal volumes). I would like the ability to search prime content similar to other Amazon streamers.

That said it is an expensive Amazon Instant solution. My other streaming needs are covered by an Apple TV (Netflix, Hulu+, HBOGO) and an old BD 390 Blu-Ray Player (Vudu at 24P) with a redundant Chromecast also connected to our mainTV. The Roku 2 XS is now replaced by the Fire TV

As others have said the Netflix app is previous generation - and while it works fine navigation isn't as good as the current Netflix apps. I haven't tried Hulu+ or YouTube.

So if you are looking for an expensive but excellent Amazon streamer - this is it (I guess I was because I will keep it for Amazon Streaming even though I had to buy an IR receiver so it could work with my Harmony remote eek.gif)

However if you are looking for a well rounded streamer for multiple apps I would look at the Apple TV, Roku 3 or WD players. It is a shame there still isn't one player that does everything well.....

Also if you have ISP caps watch out - the titles I have streamed from Amazon are averaging 13+ Mbps over 10 minutes when showing 'HD' (and I still haven't seen the 1080P icon!) - pretty much double the Netflix Super HD averages which are around 6.5 - 7 Mbps.
post #366 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have until May 5th. I think I will as 90% of my viewing is Netflix while YouTube, WSJ Channel and other channels are the other 10% anyway. Amazon Instant I rarely used because I hate how they mix paid crap with "free" prime content. I still say they should have separate apps for each.
If/when I return it I will then reconnect my Roku 3.

Can we have a small wager on this.........

I recall your posts (rants mad.gif) over 5 months about how the Apple TV was the worst and you had boxed it so your uncle could sell it - but somehow you kept it and now its the best eek.gif

Before that if I recall correctly the you were posting how the Roku was the worst - before it became the best!

My guess you will still have the Fire TV after May 5th - and yes it is frustrating there isn't one streamer that does everything well confused.gif
post #367 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes undecided you are right. How things change with updates. I even use to say the PS3 was the worst a few years ago too.

BTW I disconnected my Roku 3 not because I have problems but I have too many streamers already with too many remotes. smile.gif

Cats are the best pets.
post #368 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I would hate for them to have separate apps. That would be a pain. I use purchased and free content from Amazon. I would rather they be in the same place. The way it's always been. What they should do though is make it more difficult to accidentally purchase a streaming title.
On my Roku, PS3 and Panasonic Blu-ray player, I have a menu for Amazon with Library(purchased), Movies, TV, Queue & Prime listed.
Doesn't make since that this simple menu structure couldn't be implemented on the initial release of Fire TV.

post #369 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

I would hate for them to have separate apps. That would be a pain. I use purchased and free content from Amazon. I would rather they be in the same place. The way it's always been. What they should do though is make it more difficult to accidentally purchase a streaming title.

You should have 'One Click' ordering turned off in your account. You should also have a 5 number verification pin set up in your Amazon account.

This will prevent accidental ordering on registered devices.

http://www.amazon.com/pin

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #370 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

You should have 'One Click' ordering turned off in your account. You should also have a 5 number verification pin set up in your Amazon account.

This will prevent accidental ordering on registered devices.

http://www.amazon.com/pin

I do have the five digit pin setup. Which on my other devices I need to enter before a purchase. But on the FireTV it did not ask for it. It just went ahead and made the purchase.
reddice likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #371 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

I do have the five digit pin setup. Which on my other devices I need to enter before a purchase. But on the FireTV it did not ask for it. It just went ahead and made the purchase.

Is your Fire TV registered on the Amazon site? If it is then I have no idea.

I use my registered Roku 3 for Amazon purchases and it always asks for my pin number before confirming purchase.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #372 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

You can add parental controls, it will force a password on purchases and nothing else.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #373 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The SPMC xbmc build was updated today that supposedly works really well with the firetv now:

http://filez.semperpax.com/5r4ln85l

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #374 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Yes, installed SPMC 12.4.2 a couple hours ago. Works well, similar to the OUYA for XBMC for OUYA 12.3.2. All 720p files play. Most 1080p play, but I'm getting stutters and green pixellated streaks still with my full rip of 'The Dark Knight Rises'.

Most video add-ons aren't working well for me. Blank screen with audio, then freezing. Also, be sure to use a light XBMC skin like the default Confluence, Bello or Quartz. Just tried Aeon Nox and UI is sluggish.

Also, finding some games not on Amazon app store work rather well... Helium Boy, Beyond Ynth, and PAC-MAN CE. Some like Cordy 2 work, but controls on game or regular remote only partially work.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #375 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Amazon Instant I rarely used because I hate how they mix paid crap with "free" prime content. I still say they should have separate apps for each.

I don't think separate apps are needed, but I don't find it useable as-is. The Roku3 Amazon app is great. You can choose to see only Prime, or to see everything together. Those choices should remain.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #376 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I am now seeing 1080P on Amazon Instant. I don't know why it wasn't there before as the actual streaming rates still seem about the same.

Here is 10 minutes from Marvels Avengers. You can see it filling its buffer at full speed for the first approx minute and a half - it is maxing my Comcast internet connect at around 28 - 29 Mbps (my speed is rated at 25 Mbps but typically measures at around 29 Mbps). After that it settles down but still averages about 14.4 Mbps over the 10 minutes. As I have posted before this is much higher than any other streaming service I use. If I keep the movie playing and let the initial 'buffer fill' move out of the 10 minute average it settles to a still high 12.8 Mbps.

Picture quality is great - but I am glad Comcast currently has suspended its caps - as 12.8 Mbps is about 5.7GB per hour!

I have also set the pin in parental control to avoid any accidental purchases.

post #377 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 516
The real average is amount mbr / (600 + b), where "b" is the number of seconds of content in the buffer. If we assume that the rate is the 10 Mbps I was told then the buffer would be around 4 minutes, 30 seconds long.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #378 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The real average is amount mbr / (600 + b), where "b" is the number of seconds of content in the buffer. If we assume that the rate is the 10 Mbps I was told then the buffer would be around 4 minutes, 30 seconds long.

Agreed - but it depends if the rate is exactly 10 Mbps as you were told.

The steady state average after the buffer has filled is around 12.8 Mbps so I would suspect the actual data rate is somewhat higher than 10 Mpbs - we also have no idea what the audio data rate is although I doubt is is a significant part of the 10 - 12 Mbps.
post #379 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Whatever it is, it's stupidly high. Only VUDU at 9 Mbps and Xbox Video at 10 Mbps go that high and VUDU gives you the choice of lower bit rate 720p encodes. In this climate of people having trouble getting decent performance from the most popular services, it's kind of irresponsible. If I had a device which could receive 1080p Amazon, I'd never use it to view Amazon.

post #380 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a adaptive stream, so you're not required to have a steady 10mbps connection. I think you would be very impressed with the quality of video from amazon prime/instant on the FireTv.

Time has moved on and if anything VUDU is just a complete scam these days to get you to pay a extra $1 to watch a 1080p movie. Go and get it on amazon or iTunes instead.
post #381 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I shouldn't have any problem keeping up with the maximum bit rate on my nominally 100 Mbps service, but that's the problem. Streaming video is not worth that tax on my bandwidth cap. They need to give you a way to limit it. (Netflix has this but they need a better version of it, enabling you to limit maximum bit rate to around 4 Mbps for "regular" 1080p + 5.1 sound and 3200 Mbps for 720p + 5.1 sound).

It's also ridiculous that they leap from < 3 Mbps for 720p to >= 10 Mbps for 1080p rolleyes.gif.

post #382 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Yes, installed SPMC 12.4.2 a couple hours ago. Works well, similar to the OUYA for XBMC for OUYA 12.3.2. All 720p files play. Most 1080p play, but I'm getting stutters and green pixellated streaks still with my full rip of 'The Dark Knight Rises'.

Most video add-ons aren't working well for me. Blank screen with audio, then freezing. Also, be sure to use a light XBMC skin like the default Confluence, Bello or Quartz. Just tried Aeon Nox and UI is sluggish.

Also, finding some games not on Amazon app store work rather well... Helium Boy, Beyond Ynth, and PAC-MAN CE. Some like Cordy 2 work, but controls on game or regular remote only partially work.

Thats all really odd. I'm using Aeon Nox and it is very speedy.

I used some test files from http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/

The birds one plays with zero dropped frames. There are also a bunch of test files at http://jell.yfish.us/

The 70Mbps keeps up for a while but then starts dropping frames, but I wouldn't expect it to work well. The 40Mbps file doesn't drop any frames which is pretty awesome considering the amazon dev site says max is 20Mbps.

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #383 of 1074 Old 04-11-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I had Teen Wolf midstream drop down to SD to HD and back for a few minutes then it ramped back to the highest quality I can get. It does ramp up much faster than Netflix does. I never get 1080p to display.

Cats are the best pets.
post #384 of 1074 Old 04-12-2014, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

OK I am sold on this thing for Amazon streaming.

We watched Marvel Avengers tonight and the video and sound quality was superb throughout.

It easily matches both Vudu HDX and iTunes - as it should be given the bit rate. Previously if something was available on Netflix or Amazon I would watch it on Netflix for the superior picture quality with 5800 kpbs Super HD streams. Now I will use the Fire TV and Amazon Instant.
Quote:

Whatever it is, it's stupidly high. Only VUDU at 9 Mbps and Xbox Video at 10 Mbps go that high and VUDU gives you the choice of lower bit rate 720p encodes. In this climate of people having trouble getting decent performance from the most popular services, it's kind of irresponsible. If I had a device which could receive 1080p Amazon, I'd never use it to view Amazon.

Umm....never?

I think you use Vudu HDX (9 Mbps) from time to time - I don't know if you rent, buy or use UV titles.

I am very happy I can now access Amazon Instant Prime content in similar quality without any additional cost.

I think we should applaud Amazon for offering high quality streaming (especially here on AVS). Where I would definitely agree is that they should give people the option to limit the bit rate (quality) and let people know what the hourly bit rate is so no one is surprised.
post #385 of 1074 Old 04-12-2014, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I also tried some other Amazon Instant titles - Fringe (Season 2), Orphan Black, Battlestar Galactica (Season 4) , Aliens, Skyfall, Story of India - yes I know I need a little more variety (but I was using what I could access from Amazon Prime or Videos in my Library from when I had bough discs from Amazon).

All looked great - what stood out in particular compared to Netflix Super HD was the excellent black level / shadow detail and handling of scenes with a lot of motion. 5.1 audio seems better as well.
post #386 of 1074 Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post

Thats all really odd. I'm using Aeon Nox and it is very speedy.

I used some test files from http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/

The birds one plays with zero dropped frames. There are also a bunch of test files at http://jell.yfish.us/

The 70Mbps keeps up for a while but then starts dropping frames, but I wouldn't expect it to work well. The 40Mbps file doesn't drop any frames which is pretty awesome considering the amazon dev site says max is 20Mbps.
My results for playback are similar. Impressive for an Android box. With Aeon Nox, it works fine, but it isn't as fluid/speedy as on my Celeron NUC. I even did a factory restore of my Fire TV and reinstalled everything. I went back to Bello.

BTW, if you have the full BD rip 'The Dark Knight Rises', can you please try it. With the latest SPMC 12.4.2, I'm still getting stutters and green pixellated streaks. Other full BD rips I've tried played well... 'Skyfall', 'Despicable Me 2' (3D MVC MKV, played as 2D), 'Gladiator' (Remastered), etc.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #387 of 1074 Old 04-12-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post

I had the same results.

The chipset in other similar Qualcomm units support a constant 40 Mbps ...so it appears Amazon specs limit it to 20 Mbps probably just to ensure consistent quality and be conservative.
post #388 of 1074 Old 04-12-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

It's a adaptive stream, so you're not required to have a steady 10mbps connection. I think you would be very impressed with the quality of video from amazon prime/instant on the FireTv.

Time has moved on and if anything VUDU is just a complete scam these days to get you to pay a extra $1 to watch a 1080p movie. Go and get it on amazon or iTunes instead.

How is it a scam? Many of the rental titles on Vudu at $5.99 are the same price from other streaming services. Only they don't have a 720P option for a dollar less. If anything the other streaming services would be a scam since they don't give you a 720P option for $1 less. But I don't think any of them are a scam. Considering it's the content providers that set pricing.

LED DLP

post #389 of 1074 Old 04-12-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Quote:

If I had a device which could receive 1080p Amazon, I'd never use it to view Amazon.

Umm....never?

I think you use Vudu HDX (9 Mbps) from time to time - I don't know if you rent, buy or use UV titles.

Okay--I might consider using it for rentals, which is almost the only way that I use Amazon Instant Video now. If the quality is equal to HDX, it'd be a savings over VUDU or Xbox Video. (I don't use UV).

Now and again I'll watch something from Amazon that Netflix also has when it's Prime and the rendition is superior (HD/5.1 sound on Amazon as compared to SD/stereo on Netflix). Occasionally I'll rent something; last weekend I took an interest in seeing the 1986/Scott Glenn version of Man on Fire and for some reason chose Amazon over VUDU.

post #390 of 1074 Old 04-12-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Okay--I might consider using it for rentals, which is almost the only way that I use Amazon Instant Video now. If the quality is equal to HDX, it'd be a savings over VUDU or Xbox Video. (I don't use UV).

Now and again I'll watch something from Amazon that Netflix also has when it's Prime and the rendition is superior (HD/5.1 sound on Amazon as compared to SD/stereo on Netflix). Occasionally I'll rent something; last weekend I took an interest in seeing the 1986/Scott Glenn version of Man on Fire and for some reason chose Amazon over VUDU.

I just checked half a dozen titles on Amazon. They were $5.99 to rent. the same as Vudu. They were not cheaper. Plus they only had an HD or SD option. The SD option was $3.99 at Amazon. But there was no 720P option like Vudu has.

LED DLP

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page