Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The box itself has no means of viewing media from local sources, but a good software app player for this could make it an ideal all in one for those looking to combine online and offline media. Effectively an AppleTV with the means to play media from a NAS/PC which is what a lot of people are interested in.

Plex is on it but not everyone runs Plex media server, though you can view any media you upload to Amazon Cloud drive on it. It does also come with a USB port too. I wouldn't expect to see xbmc on these at least through official channels, however Pivos have a commercial fork called Tofu, they could make some extra money selling that through Amazon store but I doubt they will.

HBO Go discussions are on-going they are saying.
post #33 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post

Yup, a big decision for me as well, I love my WDTV, but the lack of Amazon Instant Video drives me nuts, plus its slow. On the other hand, it plays ALL my local files regardless of what format I throw at it.

For $99 it should be at least as good as the WDTV SMP. The 5Ghz WiFi band could be a big plus for some users.

If it's android-based, maybe it will have a browser?

I expect to see steep discounts pretty quickly - I got a KFHDX7 for $50 off a couple of weeks after it came out. Also, Amazon quickly upgraded the Fire from a toy to a top-tier device - hopefully whatever shortcomings this streamer has will be improved just as quickly...

BTW I use PlayLater to record Prime (and all the free networks) for the SMP. PlayOn can stream it of course but with slow DSL I get better results recording during "off hours"...

CC

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #34 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

Plex is on it but not everyone runs Plex media server, though you can view any media you upload to Amazon Cloud drive on it. It does also come with a USB port too. I wouldn't expect to see xbmc on these at least through official channels, however Pivos have a commercial fork called Tofu, they could make some extra money selling that through Amazon store but I doubt they will.

Yes. as long as you are trying to play files that the Fire TV will play natively it will be awesome. You can stream .MKV files no sweat using Plex and it will support Dolby. It's the same story for every media player, it never fits everyones dreams.

With this being almost the same price as the Roku and 3x faster it's a no brainer. It's at a price where you can consider it a fun purchase and play around with it. I'm sure more and more features will be added as time goes on. It's just the beginning and I can't wait to see what the "mod community" can do with it!!!

Another bonus is its small footprint and it's not some hideous device.
post #35 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Still want to know how it streams Netflix.
If it starts the streams in HD like the ATV3 & Chromecast or if it starts them out in horrible quality like the PS3 & Roku.
Does it shrink the credits on Netflix?
How big is the buffer on Netflix and Amazon Instant?
All these things I will test out and will let you know when I get the device.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #36 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 50
User guides are here for those with questions
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201348270
post #37 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I was hoping for more, like:

- dts support
- mpeg2 support
- hbo go and vudu
- 24 Hz output

I hope it has ip control for my control4 setup to interface given lack of ir.

I was really hoping to hear them talk about streaming image quality. Bump up the top end bit rates and give bluray a run for its money or used HEVC on their 1080p encodes to double quality at the current size.

I really wanted to like this. As it is, I'm not sure. It didn't sell me. Very eager to see the new Apple TV now. I may still buy one just to put it through it paces though. See how it evolves.
post #38 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 AM

I do really like the presentation when browsing amazon movies and tv though. Backdrops phase in. Tv show thumbnails. Someone on the team did their homework there. Rotten tomatoes would be nice to add though.

I'd also like to see Amazon adding special features to movies. iTunes does this a ton now and Vudu is picking up as well.
post #39 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 11:37 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

this thing doesnt seem to have IR for universal remotes. big fail for me.

User Guide: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/customerdocumentation/Amazon_Fire_TV_User_Guide.pdf
Since the new Harmony Smart hub remotes have bluetooth capability I'm hopeful that they will eventually be able to control this thing, as long as they release the relevant information to allow it.
post #40 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I am glad the remote is Bluetooth and not that crappy WiFi direct which interferes with the WiFi networks.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #41 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Show Time but no HBO? What's up with that?

The bigger WTF is where is MLB?!?! That's a much more glaring omission 3 days into the regular season.
post #42 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Dear AVS Forum Gurus,

You've helped me choose a projector, speakers, wires, connectors and receivers. You've helped me with design, set up and execution of my home theater. You've helped me master the art of putting my movies and videos onto my NAS in MP4 1080 and I am grateful. Unfortunately your power is not infinite and could not foresee lightning striking my neighbor's house and destroying ethernet & HDMIcards on my projector, receiver and PS3.

Got the projector & receiver repaired but the PS3-- seems the ethernet port is on the motherboard but the BlueTooth and wireless card is replaceable (literally cost $0.01 + $3.99 shipping). Anyway it hasn't arrived yet but I'm not optimistic about my repairman skills so.........I ordered the Amazon Fire TV today.

The PS3 easily & quickly pulled the MP4 files from my NAS and played them in 1080 brilliance. A quick read of the Amazon product promo doesn't reveal to my dull eyes support for NAS and MP4s but there seems to be a fair amount of buzz about something called Plex.

Please enlighten us rubes about Plex. Will it work with the new Amazon Fire TV? Will it find my WD NAS and play those MP4 videos? Is the Premium Plex worth the Premium?

Thanks!

--TheUnscented
post #43 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM

"HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1"

Was thinking about this text in the spec list. Could that mean bitstream truehd/dtsma audio capability for Plex? That would be downright amazing.

With avc and vc1 support that means full on BD rip capability. The only question would be PGS subtitles as well.
post #44 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
I'm sure you can root it just as easily as any other kindle fire, so with a little work, anything is possible on this thing.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #45 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Meh, this doesn't seem compelling vs. Roku for Internet streaming, which remains the box to beat for that. However, if the Android version of XBMC can be installed, it may be a powerful enough box to play uncompressed 1080p. I can almost do it with OUYA.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #46 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They will need some UV storefronts like Vudu before I look at it.
post #47 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Still want to know how it streams Netflix.
If it starts the streams in HD like the ATV3 & Chromecast or if it starts them out in horrible quality like the PS3 & Roku.
Does it shrink the credits on Netflix?
How big is the buffer on Netflix and Amazon Instant?
All these things I will test out and will let you know when I get the device.

If it doesn't shrink the credits already, it would figure a future update would downgrade it to that feature. I wish Netflix wasn't so stubborn and let us have an option to keep credits full screen.
reddice likes this.
post #48 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

The bigger WTF is where is MLB?!?! That's a much more glaring omission 3 days into the regular season.

MLB.tv is on it smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by theUnscented View Post

Dear AVS Forum Gurus,

Please enlighten us rubes about Plex. Will it work with the new Amazon Fire TV? Will it find my WD NAS and play those MP4 videos? Is the Premium Plex worth the Premium?

Thanks!

--TheUnscented

1. Yes. We don't know exactly when. Can't see it being that far away. I'm sure they've had a head start working on it??

2. As long as you are running Plex Server on your PC you can share those WD NAS files no problem.

3. Never needed it/used it. Can't help on that one

Edit: Plex Fire TV App confirmation from the creator of Plex: https://blog.plex.tv/2014/04/02/plex-available-amazons-fire-tv/

App is available at LAUNCH and will be on sale for only .99 cents. If you already own the Plex app for Kindle it's free.
post #49 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The Amazon FreeTime is going to be a big selling point in my book. Might pick it up just for the kids TVs.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #50 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1977 View Post

If it doesn't shrink the credits already, it would figure a future update would downgrade it to that feature. I wish Netflix wasn't so stubborn and let us have an option to keep credits full screen.
I know that one day the ATV is going to do the same crap one day.

Cats are the best pets.
post #51 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbear View Post

They will need some UV storefronts like Vudu before I look at it.

Looks like they have Flixster from the press event pictures.

Matt
post #52 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 PM

Liked: 16
HDMI auto-passthrough for 7.1

Does this mean DTS-MA? TrueHD? If so, this is the plex streamer I've been looking for
post #53 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 View Post

HDMI auto-passthrough for 7.1

Does this mean DTS-MA? TrueHD? If so, this is the plex streamer I've been looking for
certainly sounds like it. the internals are beefy enough to support it.

we'll need a real user demo to verify
post #54 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 12:54 PM

Well I said screw it and ordered, will arrive tomorrow (paid for 1 day.. sigh). I'll report back if it works as I've got plenty of files with MA and TrueHD just ready to go.
post #55 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

So forgive me as I am not a Plex user--Are you still going to have to transcode to get to the Fire TV, or will there be any way to play 1:1 Blu-ray rips without transcoding...or will it all depends on what apps are available that would support this. I assume it has enough horsepower to do so or is there some other technical reason it wouldn't match up with Dune / Popcorn / Mede8er?

Speaking of Roku, I guess there wouldn't be much point in them releasing Roku 4 without specs to at least match this...

Matt
post #56 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 PM

It supports the right video formats, so no transcoding seems needed if your files are h.264/vc1 encoded. And if it does passthrough of all audio, then it will be a direct play capable device, passing audio decoding to the receiver. Basically a NUC without the hassle of dealing with a full-on PC
turls likes this.
post #57 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 01:09 PM

Just need those PGS subtitles as well. Please test that too, jparker36.

Following the comments about Roku comparisons earlier. I've tried a Roku 3 on two occassions now. I don't get why people like it. The main ui ok but the app are often not. Plex, amazon, aereo and others on roku are all fairly ugly to me. Then you have so many apps but so many are old, not updated at all, and so on. That device just didn't appeal to me like it seems to others.
reddice likes this.
post #58 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I would love to see the following tested jparker or other early adopters:

3D MKV
simultaneous audio output on HDMI and optical (a NUC/HTPC will not do this without heavy hacking, but Dune, etc. will--important for D-BOX compatibility).

Matt
post #59 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

So forgive me as I am not a Plex user--Are you still going to have to transcode to get to the Fire TV, or will there be any way to play 1:1 Blu-ray rips without transcoding...or will it all depends on what apps are available that would support this. I assume it has enough horsepower to do so or is there some other technical reason it wouldn't match up with Dune / Popcorn / Mede8er?

Speaking of Roku, I guess there wouldn't be much point in them releasing Roku 4 without specs to at least match this...

Basically with Plex Server running on your PC you simply tell it where your media files are located. It automatically grabs the correct metadata. You launch the Plex app from the Fire TV and it will see if the Fire TV supports the file/codec you are trying to play natively.

Example:

I load the Plex app from Fire TV and I want to play Batman.mkv. It will query the Plex Server running on your PC and say hey I want to play Batman.mkv....The Plex Server will say HEY DO YOU SUPPORT h.264 and the Fire TV will say Yes and the file will play. No transcoding or funny business happening.

I only use .MKV as an example because it seems to be universally accepted and it's all I use personally.

It will all be shown in a nice format on your TV via the Fire TV. It will have posters, actor info, movie length, etc.
turls likes this.
post #60 of 1075 Old 04-02-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

Just need those PGS subtitles as well. Please test that too, jparker36.

Following the comments about Roku comparisons earlier. I've tried a Roku 3 on two occassions now. I don't get why people like it. The main ui ok but the app are often not. Plex, amazon, aereo and others on roku are all fairly ugly to me. Then you have so many apps but so many are old, not updated at all, and so on. That device just didn't appeal to me like it seems to others.
I agree. If the Amazon Fire streams reliable especially with Netflix I might disconnect my Roku 3. I do love the Roku however most of the apps are so butt ugly I have a hard time looking at them.

Cats are the best pets.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page